Star Wars On Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but how long does George have, anyway?

Eventually he'll have a stroke or something (probably sooner rather than later). It'll happen, even if we have to wait until he croaks.
That depends on who takes over? If his kids take over then I don't expect anything to change.

Eventually he'll have a stroke or something (probably sooner rather than later). It'll happen, even if we have to wait until he croaks.

Here's a little secret; George died years ago. His brain was transplanted into a fully functioning droid created by ILM. True story.

I dread the day when KOTCS will be viewed as a better movie than Raiders, or AOTC better than ESB :horror :thud:

Has that happened yet :lol

I doubt that. ROTS may challenge Empire (it shouldn't), but I think that AOTC is the worst of the prequel films.

I doubt that. ROTS may challenge Empire (it shouldn't), but I think that AOTC is the worst of the prequel films.

in my opinion, AOTC is by far the weakest of the PT and in no way did ROTS come close to being the masterpiece that the ESB was.

Anyone know if they put back the original Boba Fett voice?

The DVD release really _____ed up his character with the new voice...

The sad thing for me was that some of the elements of the Pt were awesome and they had the potential to be so much better than they were. Numerous little poor decisions added up to weaken the trilogy and anakins descent came across as rushed and out of the blue. But I still enjoy them

That depends on who takes over? If his kids take over then I don't expect anything to change.

Even if they have the final say, they'll be bowled over by people who know better who will tell them what to do.

George could get away with it because he was a great filmmaker and is a shrewd, powerful businessman. He surrounded himself with yes men because he was able to - his kids won't.

Had to quote you for speaking the absolute truth. I love Alien more than I should and the bluray release was so phenomenal. Also you get the option of original theatrical version, or updated extended (but really shortened :lol) version. Ridley is the man, man.

Hope A New Hope and Empire look as wonderful as Alien did to me. To the point of shockingly beautiful.

There's a big difference between restoration and obsessive tinkering and altering. I agree directors should be able to restore movies.

Restoration: The process of repairing or renovating a building, work of art, etc., so as to restore it to its original condition.

Not true. I was geeking out on SW newsgroups long before the Special Editions came along. Nobody complained about the 1990 VHS trilogy, the 1993 Laserdisc Definitive Collection, or the 1995 THX editions (laserdisc and VHS.) People had issues with ewoks and Boba Fett's death but SW was hardly "controversial."

There was an ongoing off-topic debate about SW vs. ST and that was pretty much it. 1997 and the following prequel trilogy changed all that. People have been asking that the original OT be preserved ever since.

I'm not a PT hater, and I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming blu-ray set, but Lucas brought the complaining and controversy on himself 20 years after winning an entire generation of diehard fans.

I agree, the backlash never really surfaced until the 1997 redux's. There are even further purists, occasionally, that don't even want the THX sound, but to me that is overboard. Most of the ones that are of the generation of the OT love the films and have the right to hope that Lucas will one day appreciate the fact that without the original fans, he wouldn't be in a position today to chisel away at the OT.

You sound like GL :lol

See, for me this misses the point of story telling.

I rather have crappy picture quality and lots of matte lines but changes not made that ruin characters.

Not just for SW, but for any movie.

Movies can be pristine digital and be crappy.

I'll take a crappy VHS quality of Han shooting first vs an awesome clean copy of his character assassination :lecture

:exactly: Just because you have the technology to add something to an existing movie doesn't mean you have to. It's like Lucas has ADD and got in the computer booth and wouldn't leave until he fixed actually important things and then went overboard with changing and adding things that serve no purpose. Of the GL defenders, please tell me why it was important to remove the "Wolfman" from the Mos Isley cantina scene and replace him with another alien creature? That there is just one of many examples as to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

And someone more responsible (like his daughter and those responsible for The Clone Wars--better written than any of the Prequels) will take over hopefully.

Even if they have the final say, they'll be bowled over by people who know better who will tell them what to do.

George could get away with it because he was a great filmmaker and is a shrewd, powerful businessman. He surrounded himself with yes men because he was able to - his kids won't.

If anyone takes over Star Wars at this point that doesn't protect it as much as Lucas... Hollywood will mess it up even further with remakes at this point. I'd rather deal with Lucas's craziness re-tinkering them than other suits taking over. Next thing you know Jabba the Hut is the hero and Vader is the one shooting Greedo first. :lol

The only relevant point is: it's his movie, his idea, his story.
He can do with it as he pleases. It is his intellectual property, his baby.
We're all invited for the ride, but he decides where it's going and how.
And I have enjoyed it a lot.
The only change I dislike is Greedo shooting first. Other than that, I'm fine with everything else.
And I agree with others, if you want to _____, why not open up a "George Lucas raped my childhood and I can't sleep at night so let's all cry together" thread and let the rest of us enjoy and celebrate what we love about SW?

:lecture:exactly:
Well said. The only thing that really bothers me is the Greedo scene as well. It just takes so much away from Han's character and his progression from being bascially a criminal to a hero. With that said, I probably woudln't mind the scene quite as much if it was at least done better. They did try to tweak it a little for the DVD release, but it just doesn't look good at all. It's very unnatural looking.

:lecture:exactly:
Well said. The only thing that really bothers me is the Greedo scene as well. It just takes so much away from Han's character and his progression from being bascially a criminal to a hero. With that said, I probably woudln't mind the scene quite as much if it was at least done better. They did try to tweak it a little for the DVD release, but it just doesn't look good at all. It's very unnatural looking.

If you go to the dark side (a Lucas apologist) there's no partial turning...you have to go all the way. :wink1:

Well, I said REALLY bothers me. There are some things that slightly bother me, like the new Emperor/Vader scene in ESB. I agree with changing out the "monkey eyed lady", but the added dialog wasn't really necessary. He doesn't really look quite right to me either, he look smore like prequel Palapatine than ROTJ Palpatine. Jedi Rocks is kind of lame as is the new edning to ROTJ. The SE Jabba in ANH looked like crap, but at least they improved on that for the DVD. Boba looking at the camera in that scene also slightly bothers me, but none of these things REALLY bother me as much as Han shooting first...and the fact that it is so poorly executed at that.

Back