Premium Format SS Rogue Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rogue PF

Correct me if I'm wrong but Jim Lee's first x-men comic was Uncanny X-men 248 (or 9) and from what I can tell that went on into the 300s

Yes but we're talking about the early 90s costumes to which he only drew 11 issues of. The gold team appeared mainly in issues 1-3, and scattered appearances otherwise.

So 8 vs 11, sue me. lol

The point he didn't draw them in these costumes as much as people like to remember he did.

Also he only designed the blue team. The gold team was designed by Whilice Portracio. He doesn't get enough credit.

The Gold Team members' designs were mostly unchanged; only Storm and Jean Grey had completely different looks and these were both Lee's designs. Portacio may have drawn them more in the comics but the designs themselves were Lee's. Bishop was the only character Portacio designed.
Lee drew a lot of promotional art and trading cards featuring the costumes, too. He also wrote (or co-wrote) most of the plots in both X-Men (after X-Men 3) and Uncanny before he left Marvel; his influence wasn't just artistic.

That said, Chrono, I totally respect what you're saying. :) And Portacio definitely should get more recognition. His artwork on Uncanny was great and he even taught Lee a few tricks of the trade early on. From what I hear he's also a really decent guy. I'm really looking forward to his return to the X-Men comics.

From what I hear he's also a really decent guy.
I have visited with Portacio, Lee, Liefield, Larson, and Brooks at SDCC and Portacio is always excessively friendly and had no problems with drawn out questions about X-Factor/X-Men while he was working on commissions. I would have bought one of his prints, but none were X-Men based.

Honestly, Lee was the only one who acted inconvenienced by questions and seemed more interested in his $5/10 signature donation. Lee is still my favorite comic artist and I understand that he is the is still very active in comics and considered a Marvel/DC superstar so maybe he didn't want to get pinned down by a comic nerd. I don't really care for his art, but Liefield was really friendly both times I met him as well.

Im not sure if this was addressed already, but why is rogue only 16 inches tall? Psylocke is 22 inches tall according to the specs. As far as I know they are both supposed to be 1/4 scale PF's. Is this an error?

One possible answer ... like Ms. Marvel .... she is wearing super high heels and the base is thicker than rogue ....

Definitely a mistake. Rogue, Gambit, and Psylocke are all sculpted by Tony Cipriano and I'm sure he'll get the scale right. 16" is way too small.

The 22" for Psylocke is probably the measurement for when her psyblade arm is attached.
Although, 16" still does seem too small.

It is most likely a mistake. The web guys openly admit when products get put up they sometimes don't have the exact measurements until they get the final product from china. They usually just through something up there.

Definitely a mistake. Rogue, Gambit, and Psylocke are all sculpted by Tony Cipriano and I'm sure he'll get the scale right. 16" is way too small.

How do you know who sculpted what? Psylocke have 8 artist listed and SSC design & develop team. You call customer service?

Im not sure if this was addressed already, but why is rogue only 16 inches tall? Psylocke is 22 inches tall according to the specs. As far as I know they are both supposed to be 1/4 scale PF's. Is this an error?

It's a mistake.

How do you know who sculpted what? Psylocke have 8 artist listed and SSC design & develop team. You call customer service?

I don't know 100% but there is no way that they hired him to only do the base or Psylocke's head. He is a very distinguished sculptor that Sideshow hires very often. I don't recognize the other names on the list as sculptors. I could be wrong though.

Here is a pretty cool blog with Tony C. describing his progress for the Silver Surfer comiquette and the Gambit PF. From what I can see he did all of the sculpting.

https://popsculpturebook.blogspot.com/2010/04/tony-cipriano-duke-of-dust-part-1-of-3.html

Yeah that one! : P

Rumor has it the master Cyke exclusive head was stepped on before it went into the oven. My GF actually laughed when I pulled it out of the box (that is what she said)

But back to Rogue--Her backend is nicer than Psylockes (though she may be taller) so there you have the saving grace of this statue.

Last edited:

I don't know 100% but there is no way that they hired him to only do the base or Psylocke's head. He is a very distinguished sculptor that Sideshow hires very often. I don't recognize the other names on the list as sculptors. I could be wrong though.

Here is a pretty cool blog with Tony C. describing his progress for the Silver Surfer comiquette and the Gambit PF. From what I can see he did all of the sculpting.

https://popsculpturebook.blogspot.com/2010/04/tony-cipriano-duke-of-dust-part-1-of-3.html

in psylocke's video, the guy says the same sculptor is doing all the x men PFs

Good info. I haven't dig down enough.

Back