So who is going to buy the Theatrical Version of the Star Wars Trilogy tomorrow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you be buying the Star Wars Trilogy

• Yes, will be pick them up

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • It depends on the price of them

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • No, I just cant justify buying another copy of the Trilogy

Votes: 32 38.1%
  • No, I like the special edition better anyway

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
hmmm...:vader

EDIT: Yep, I want the tin. Stupid I know, but I want it. I could get the individual dvd's here in Aus for just $19 but I want that damned tin, so I have a nice little set.
I am such a sucker...

:thwak
Buy! Ok!

Last edited:
BDboystoys said:
hmmm...:vader

EDIT: Yep, I want the tin. Stupid I know, but I want it. I could get the individual dvd's here in Aus for just $19 but I want that damned tin, so I have a nice little set.
I am such a sucker...

:thwak
Buy! Ok!

I hear ya! I never got the box from 2004 so I don't feel toooo much like a sucker, but I mean I say this: if George Lucas can keep re-re-re-releasing stuff, and continue making money off of it MORE POWER TO HIM!

BDboystoys said:

Another thing I'm happy about is the fact that the cases are gold instead of silver so they line up nicely with the prequels (I took my 2004 OT out of the box so I could have a nice six piece set in my DVD collection.)

"What's the big idea not releasing these anamorphically?
ME :thwak LUCAS

"You'll buy them anyway and love it!"
LUCAS :thwak ME

I got the tin. Love it. I took out the DVDs to line up with the PT, and used the tin to hold the extra accessories I'm not displaying with my Star Wars figures. I was wondering where I'd put all those extra lightsabers Maul comes with! Also attracts the mynock nicely.

Gruson said:
Ill post here too:

Despite not being anamorphic, these look REALLY good.

I watched parts of ANH and TESB today.

My video set up is a 119" screen, IF 7200 FP, Oppo, HDA1 and Zektor DVI switch.

I have them being scaled to 1080i and then going to the IF.

Both look VERY good and better than any bootleg out there. They look even better than the actual LDs as well (when I had them). There is some "grain" or "dots" that are more apparent than other releases but you get used to it. I also preferred the picture of the Oppo player compared to the HDA1. That said, there is no LD "tearing" with these versions and colors look great. It is so nice to have the original colors back. I hated the '97 SE tints.

For $15 each, they are a must have. It's great to have an easy way for everyone to enjoy the TRUE Star Wars trilogy.

More later, I got to watch more now!

I really agree. Being the owner of several, if not all the LD versions, I probably prefer the "Definitive" LD version the best (for the OT) but the DVD versions definitely have the retro feel to them. Is it just me or does the camera seem to shift/jump quite abit, especially in ANH? When you mention "grain and dots", it seems they selected the dirtest, if not earliest, prints. Oh well, we wanted the "Original Theatrical Versions", thats what this is. Makes me appreciate the Special Editions more. Thinking back on it, many of the LD releases had much of this cleaned up. Makes you wonder how long they've been working to restore the actual film negatives. When did this restoration start, '93/'94 maybe?

Comparing the 2 different versions, the Special Edition's version of the space battle above the Death Star at the end of ANH is superior visually to the Original version, but I can't hear the musical cue at the start of it. You know when the X-Wings start to "barrel roll" down to start the attack. Maybe after I reconnect all 15 speakers, I'll hear it buried in the audio mix somewhere, but in basic surround, it's drowned out by the engine noise of the X-Wings.

This musical cue is one of John Williams most stellar pieces of music in Star Wars. I know in the first version of the Special Editions (LD-American and Japan) it remained, but when it got mastered to DVD for the first time, it got shoved out of the audio. Hearing it again in the Original version was most welcome, but I still wish they would fix this in some later release.

adambadadam said:
Comparing the 2 different versions, the Special Edition's version of the space battle above the Death Star at the end of ANH is superior visually to the Original version, but I can't hear the musical cue at the start of it. You know when the X-Wings start to "barrel roll" down to start the attack. Maybe after I reconnect all 15 speakers, I'll hear it buried in the audio mix somewhere, but in basic surround, it's drowned out by the engine noise of the X-Wings.
It has nothing to do with how you're connecting your speakers, that cue really did get overpowered by the X-Wings in the 2004 SE. Hopefully they fix that for the 30th anniversary set.

Khev said:
It has nothing to do with how you're connecting your speakers, that cue really did get overpowered by the X-Wings in the 2004 SE. Hopefully they fix that for the 30th anniversary set.

Hey out there! Thanks for confirming that. Just so you know, I really don't have 15 different speakers to connect. With all these improvements in the Home Theatre, when do you think they'll get to a Dolby 20.5/4 million line resolution. Oh well, I was at Circuit City the other day eyeing the movies on "Blu-Ray" and "HD"- Sounds like that'll be the next set I happily buy. Its good to know that George still has something to offer me. You know, got to "re-fresh" the franchise and all.

Speaking of the 30th Anniversary and maybe a new release, I was at the store yesterday and I noticed that LOTR just put out new DVD's. These were 2-disc sets with both films (theatrical and spc.ed) on one disc and a documentary on the other. Think about that for a minute, when you put both versions of the film on one disc, that first disc has over 6 hours of film on it!!!

If George and Lucasfilm really wanted to offer something special to the fans for a 30th Anniversary, why not offer the Silent Black and White/ or "Dailies" Editing versions of each of the movies. Hell, even if I got just the Star Wars "'Un-Edit", which I know exists because there have been features on it, I would consider this a Holy Grail. From what I understand it's about six hours long and you could get it on a DVD. I don't care how "rough" it is. It helps me appreciate the evolution of the film and the process of completion. You know what George says, "Films are never finished..." .

Customikey said:
I took out the DVDs to line up with the PT, and used the tin to hold the extra accessories I'm not displaying with my Star Wars figures.

I did the same with my tin. I don't collect the 12" line, so I put the PF Grievous cape, and Leia's extra arm in the tin instead. I put the tin on my DVD shelves, and no one will ever no that the accessories are in there.

I wish SS would release some sort of cool accessory storage system like this. I'd buy several. I'd like a LOTR one for Lurtz's extra arms.

Well nows the big ask. IS there anyone willing to help me out?

I want the tin for them from Best Buy. So I was wandering if anyone would be kind enough to drop in and get one if theyre near a BB store?
If you are near one or could drop in, could you send me a PM? I'd pay for shipping to Aus and the costs of the item itself.
Unfortunately Best Buy dont ship overseas, thats the only reason I'm resorting to this.

EDIT: Well it turns out I could buy the dvd's separately for just AU$19 here, so Im spending quite alot on a tin, but I really do want it! Or even if someone just doesnt want the tin, I'l pay for all shipping to here and whatever you say for the tin (within reason).
Let me know if you can help me out!
:D

abstractharmony said:
Funny story - I was talking to a girlfriend of mine who is in her 20's and she told me at the weekend that she's never seen the OT!!!!!!!!!

Shameful!

I went to a military college and when i was a freshmen some of the upperclassmen found out this guy in my company had never seen star wars and they tied a sign to him and made him wear it all day that said "I've never seen Star Wars, I'm not a real American."....maybe you should do that to her. :)

Darth Loki said:
Easy pass for me. I can deal with the changes and skip that damn song or whatever the hell it is in ROTJ.

I can't deal with any of that crap so this was an easy buy for me.

I just watched the original ANH.

Wow, the SE's really are crap. The transfers of the originals are much better than I expected them to be. Some grain is present, but it's still the REAL version. If Lucas cleans up these prints and masters them in HD, I'll be in heaven.

The music and sound effects are equally incredible. There are so many cues and effects missing from the 5.1 track that it's ridiculous. The original 2.0 soundtrack is the only way to go. I can't wait to watch ESB and ROTJ.

mfoga said:
You really dont think they will ask for the Lithos? I bet there is something on the receipt showing you got them.

I did look at the receipt and saw nothing front or back about the lithos. The lady just scanned the disks, I paid, she bagged up the disk, rounded up the lithos, handed everything to me, then I left.

the original version looks good. i was really surprised. i didn't even notice my dvd player was set to stretch this type of format so the stretch really doesn't make a huge difference to me since i didn't even remember till i read tom's comment about it and i don't even mind watching it with black bars all around it...although lucas should have corrected the format for widescreen t.v.'s. very happy to have this option. BB tin is pretty neat too...even though it cost us an extra $15.

JustinLuck said:
Did you guys see this?

Click on "Is George Lucas ripping us off?"

https://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/videos/index.html

Thanks for linking me to a video where the host AND guests are all completely annoying. :lol Force.net guy... haha he just eats all of Lucas' table scraps. Guy in the middle... I dunno what his angle is but he seems depressed about something. Guy on the left is probably the one I agree with most. Just give us a cleaned up, fully restored version of the originals and that would be fantastic.

elwood49 said:
I just watched the original ANH.

Wow, the SE's really are crap. The transfers of the originals are much better than I expected them to be. Some grain is present, but it's still the REAL version. If Lucas cleans up these prints and masters them in HD, I'll be in heaven.

The music and sound effects are equally incredible. There are so many cues and effects missing from the 5.1 track that it's ridiculous. The original 2.0 soundtrack is the only way to go. I can't wait to watch ESB and ROTJ.

Well said Elwood and glad you are back! This is the "magical" version of the trilogy. I plan on watching them all in a row this weekend.

Back