So who is going to buy the Theatrical Version of the Star Wars Trilogy tomorrow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you be buying the Star Wars Trilogy

• Yes, will be pick them up

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • It depends on the price of them

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • No, I just cant justify buying another copy of the Trilogy

Votes: 32 38.1%
  • No, I like the special edition better anyway

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So let me get this straight.

In this set, you get the new special edition (redubbed boba fett dialogue / hayden ghost / etc) and the original is on the 2nd disc? But... it's not anamorphic widescreen? Is it fullscreen?

To anyone who has last year's release... what's different aside from the original movie added on?

I don't have the full scoop on this so I think it's a complete waste of money so far. Sounds like a big "up yours" from lucasfilm to shut us up and take our hard earned dough at the same time.

Coheteboy said:
the original is on the 2nd disc? But... it's not anamorphic widescreen? Is it fullscreen?
Fullscreen but still letterboxed. So you get the original aspect ratio but on a widescreen TV it'll not only have black bars on the top and bottom but on the *sides* as well.

Khev said:
Fullscreen but still letterboxed. So you get the original aspect ratio but on a widescreen TV it'll not only have black bars on the top and bottom but on the *sides* as well.

Oh frick that's lame. At least most TV's have the ZOOM function correct? So you can still create the illusion that you're watching anamorphic...

I went with the Circuit City offer, 14.99 each plus a free litograph for each film (11x17), oh and they threw in a promotional sticker. :cool:

Coheteboy said:
Oh frick that's lame. At least most TV's have the ZOOM function correct? So you can still create the illusion that you're watching anamorphic...

Correct, but the alien subtitles will be cut off on ANH and ROTJ. :banghead

I'm getting this set only because I don't think Lucas will include anamorphic/cleaned up original versions in the eventual huge saga set. I hope I'm wrong. I can always sell this set on Ebay and keep the best parts of it like I'm doing with my 2004 OT set (I'm keeping Empire of Dreams). This is one of the few movies that I WANT to double/triple/etc. dip on.

I haven't seen the non-SE versions of the OT in about 5-6 years, so this will be a real treat.

I don't know when or if I will get them.... I have to date 4 different boxed sets of the series... one regular VHS... 2 SE VHS sets (I don't remember how I pulled THAT off)... and the OT SE DVD set. So I don't know If I really need it.

I'm hoping that GL will just put BOTH versions on the next 6 film set.... The only thing about the originals that I really liked was the lack of Jedi Rocks and Han shooting first. Everything else was cool by me on the SE versions....... :lol

DarkArtist81 said:
I don't know when or if I will get them.... I have to date 4 different boxed sets of the series... one regular VHS... 2 SE VHS sets (I don't remember how I pulled THAT off)... and the OT SE DVD set. So I don't know If I really need it.

I'm hoping that GL will just put BOTH versions on the next 6 film set.... The only thing about the originals that I really liked was the lack of Jedi Rocks and Han shooting first. Everything else was cool by me on the SE versions....... :lol

I have 4 too but I have the Original Box Set on VHS, The THX set from the mid 90s on VHS and the Special Edition on VHS and DVD. Plus 1-3 on DVD and now the new SE/Original DVDs 4-6. damm thats a lot of copies.

I just have the laserdiscs from 1994 or 95... i forget. Then the VHS special edition. DVD special edition. Three versions of the movie so I really shouldn't pay for two versions I already have.

I had the THX version (fullscreen) on VHS, and still have the first release Widescreen Star Wars on VHS. And I have a bootleg copy of the laserdiscs... so I felt good picking these up today... although I wish it had been at Circuit City :monkey2

I posted this in the other thread, but I figured I might as well stick it here as well:

OK, to clear things up, here are some sample shots.

Here is the actual video image from an anamorphic (16:9) widescreen DVD:

awidescreenshottj5.jpg

Here is an image from a non-anamorphic (4:3) widescreen DVD:

afullscreenshotky1.jpg

An anamorphic (16:9) DVD played on a "square" (4:3) TV will shrink the image down and automatically fill in the rest of the black bars, giving you this picture:

afullscreen16x9vc0.jpg

So a 16x9 DVD looks the same as a 4:3 DVD on a regular television set. Owners of "square" televisions cannot tell the difference.

Now, on to the choices available to widescreen TV owners...

An anamorphic (16:9) DVD viewed on a widescreen TV will look like this:

awidescreenshottj5.jpg

When viewing a non-anamorphic (4:3) DVD (like the unaltered trilogy discs released today) on a widescreen TV, you are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. It doesn't fit, and you have a choice to make.

First, you can center the square image in the middle of the screen, and additional black bars will be filled in to the left and right of the image, resulting in this:

a16x9centerfl9.jpg

Second, you can choose to stretch the image horizontally so that it fills the screen. It is stretched horizontally, but not vertically, resulting in a distorted image. No additional black bars are inserted by the player or set. The resulting image looks like this:

a16x9stretchoj6.jpg

Finally, you can choose to zoom the image so that it fills the screen but is not horizontally distorted as in option two. The image quality is reduced as you zoom in and enlarge the pixels beyond the size at which they were intended to be viewed, and some subtitles will be cropped out of the picture as well. It will look like this:

a16x9zoomah9.jpg

So in conclusion, an anamorphic (16:9) widescreen DVD can be enjoyed by owners of any kind of television set. Everyone is happy and sees the same image.

A non-anamorphic DVD (like today's unaltered Star Wars release) can be properly enjoyed only by people who own "square" 4:3 television sets. Owners of widescreen sets will be forced to make a choice that somehow compromises the quality of the image being viewed.

As much as George Lucas has been a pioneer of audiences being able to see films just as their creators intended, his decision to release the films in the non-anamorphic format is mind boggling and frustrating.

Ill post here too:

Despite not being anamorphic, these look REALLY good.

I watched parts of ANH and TESB today.

My video set up is a 119" screen, IF 7200 FP, Oppo, HDA1 and Zektor DVI switch.

I have them being scaled to 1080i and then going to the IF.

Both look VERY good and better than any bootleg out there. They look even better than the actual LDs as well (when I had them). There is some "grain" or "dots" that are more apparent than other releases but you get used to it. I also preferred the picture of the Oppo player compared to the HDA1. That said, there is no LD "tearing" with these versions and colors look great. It is so nice to have the original colors back. I hated the '97 SE tints.

For $15 each, they are a must have. It's great to have an easy way for everyone to enjoy the TRUE Star Wars trilogy.

More later, I got to watch more now!

I got my DVD today from Best Buy but want be able to watch one until tonight. I cant wait. I havent seen the theatrical version before in Widescreen and am so happy to get a chance too.

Last edited:
Gruson said:
Ill post here too:

Despite not being anamorphic, these look REALLY good.

I watched parts of ANH and TESB today.

My video set up is a 119" screen, IF 7200 FP, Oppo, HDA1 and Zektor DVI switch.

I have them being scaled to 1080i and then going to the IF.

Both look VERY good and better than any bootleg out there. They look even better than the actual LDs as well (when I had them). There is some "grain" or "dots" that are more apparent than other releases but you get used to it. I also preferred the picture of the Oppo player compared to the HDA1. That said, there is no LD "tearing" with these versions and colors look great. It is so nice to have the original colors back. I hated the '97 SE tints.

For $15 each, they are a must have. It's great to have an easy way for everyone to enjoy the TRUE Star Wars trilogy.

More later, I got to watch more now!

Wow thanks for making my normal TV seem like a hand held.:lol

Bought these at CC today to get the Lithos. The Lithos are awesome! The movies are going back in about 3 weeks. "Must resist urge to open ESB.":D

MorgulTongue said:
Bought these at CC today to get the Lithos. The Lithos are awesome! The movies are going back in about 3 weeks. "Must resist urge to open ESB.":D
You really dont think they will ask for the Lithos? I bet there is something on the receipt showing you got them.

Damn it seems that the tin is sold out at Best Buy:monkey2
But I also found that theres two editions of the new edition(which I didnt know) Theres a full screen and widescreen.
Soo my question is, does anyone know what the DVD's in the tin have in them?(Widescreen or Full?)
Theyre on backorder and I'd like to get them, but wanted to know.

EDIT: Wait a minute!(gasp!) does Best Buy even ship overseas?:confused:

BDboystoys said:
Damn it seems that the tin is sold out at Best Buy:monkey2
But I also found that theres two editions of the new edition(which I didnt know) Theres a full screen and widescreen.
Soo my question is, does anyone know what the DVD's in the tin have in them?(Widescreen or Full?)
Theyre on backorder and I'd like to get them, but wanted to know.

EDIT: Wait a minute!(gasp!) does Best Buy even ship overseas?:confused:
My Best Buy tin had the Widescreen version in them.

jason2885 said:
My Best Buy tin had the Widescreen version in them.

Is the tin awesome? It is isnt it!:D
I want it in one nice set, but its very costly for me being overseas.
I can get each individual film for less in Aus dollars than in the US. But I really want the set. The question is, am I willing to pay double for the tin to get it to Aus?:confused:
Money, money, money...

I dont know if I would pay double for it. It opens in the front and back so you can get to ROTJ without taking out the first two movies. It is kinda cool but I only had to pay an extra $6 to get it so I guess its up to you as to how much you want it.

Back