Sideshow 1:1 Full Size Hulk Bust Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely just cannot understand why so much people do a repaint on this piece......are you crazy? Now it is worthless, it is not original anymore. I am a German paint master and also an academic, but I would NEVER repaint an original piece even if I could do it better, NEVER. EITHER you love it, OR you hate it. There is no other way for me, but just to clarify, your paintjob is good. (IMO)

Yes, I can understand. If the piece is for you, and only for you, it is ok to repaint it (IMO). It is a matter of taste. But if you are a serious collector you will accept the paintjob of the artist. It is a point of honor, like we German use to say.

I think this bust is better than all the negativity that is said about it but one of the bigger letdowns on it is the paintjob. I doubt it will ever be worth more than retail so it's not a big deal to try and make it the way you like it. It's a tough call with customs, some will never buy one if you want to sell it, but do it right and you can add to the piece.

I think custom pieces rock. If you can afford to get a statue you like done up to your specific tastes......what can be better than that?

You are right. The paintjob could be MUCH better without a doubt. As I wrote before, if you own it and if you don't want to sell in future, it is absolutely ok! BUT I would NEVER buy a repainted piece, since I am a collector. It is always the paintjob.......and I must agree with ALL other here, there is just ONE green color, no shades. Don't get me wrong......I love this pieces and I love to share it with you!!

You are right. The paintjob could be MUCH better without a doubt. As I wrote before, if you own it and if you don't want to sell in future, it is absolutely ok! BUT I would NEVER buy a repainted piece, since I am a collector. It is always the paintjob.......and I must agree with ALL other here, there is just ONE green color, no shades. Don't get me wrong......I love this pieces and I love to share it with you!!

I guess it's just a difference of opinion. I would always buy a custom repainted piece that looks great rather than buy an original with a bad paint job. I know you think it's kind of an insult to the original painter to repaint a statue. I don't feel that way. The people who paint these statues in China are not really artists in my book. They are factory workers with a limited set of skills. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. When someone hires an artist to customize a piece, that's what I feel they are truly getting.....an artist. It'll cost you money, but the skill set I've seen on many of these custom repaints blow the doors off of some of the factory releases I have seen.

Bottom line, I want any statue I have displayed in my collection to look as good as possible. Sometimes that requires a custom repaint to make a statue look the way I think it should because the factory paints aren't up to snuff. A great sculpt that you love deserves a great paint up. This is just my opinion on the topic. I have had a few pieces repainted and I love them so much more because of it. Nothing ruins a great sculpt more than a bad factory paint job.

Yes, you are right. As I wrote, if you want it for your own taste it is absolutely right. But I would never buy a repainted piece unless I want it that way, that is the only exception. No matter if you are black or white or asian, every artist wants to be respected.

Yes, you are right. As I wrote, if you want it for your own taste it is absolutely right. But I would never buy a repainted piece unless I want it that way, that is the only exception. No matter if you are black or white or asian, every artist wants to be respected.

The race of the factory workers was never an issue for me. The fact is that these statues are painted in China by factory workers, not artists. Our difference in opinion stems from the fact that I don't believe that most of the factory workers that paint these statues are artists. The true artists are the people that SSC hires to paint the master prototype statues. These people are not factory workers. Factory workers try to match the paint job on a master prototype statue. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don't.

There are many talented painters of all races that customize statues. I respect all of them. Do not confuse a factory worker with a true artist. To me they are not one and the same. One sets a standard and a vision, the other tries to replicate it.

Last edited:
But I would never buy a repainted piece unless I want it that way.
Erm, I would never buy anything, collectible or not, that wasn't the way I wanted it to be. Which, I dare say, is surely the norm.

There's nothing sacred about the paint job a piece comes with, and there'll always be someone who happens to like the repaint, provided it's not a botch-up.

Take the Batman Lifesize bust. We've seen it nicely modded into a Neal Adams/Jim Aparo 70's version. I bet there are people out there who would pay a pretty dollar for that instead of the factory painted one. Arguably it makes it in fact more collectible.

Then there's the Rogue Premium Format fiasco. I'm sure people would buy any custom painted head over the original ones. They were that bad. Does that make the custom pieces any less collectible? Nope, actually those are imo the ones to get.

So I don't get what the fuss is about repainting these 'mass-produced' pieces. I'm all for trying any means available to save the Lifesize Hulk.

...even if I think this ridiculous dud of a piece (imo) is beyond salvation.

Erm, I would never buy anything, collectible or not, that wasn't the way I wanted it to be. Which, I dare say, is surely the norm.

There's nothing sacred about the paint job a piece comes with, and there'll always be someone who happens to like the repaint, provided it's not a botch-up.

Take the Batman Lifesize bust. We've seen it nicely modded into a Neal Adams/Jim Aparo 70's version. I bet there are people out there who would pay a pretty dollar for that instead of the factory painted one. Arguably it makes it in fact more collectible.

Then there's the Rogue Premium Format fiasco. I'm sure people would buy any custom painted head over the original ones. They were that bad. Does that make the custom pieces any less collectible? Nope, actually those are imo the ones to get.

So I don't get what the fuss is about repainting these 'mass-produced' pieces. I'm all for trying any means available to save the Lifesize Hulk.

...even if I think this ridiculous dud of a piece (imo) is beyond salvation.

:lol the botch-up link...
I don't know if you own this one Shoo, I think it looks good in a Marvel bust line up, it's only when you get in close you see how sub-par the paints and teeth are and how cool it should of been.

:lol the botch-up link...
I don't know if you own this one Shoo, I think it looks good in a Marvel bust line up, it's only when you get in close you see how sub-par the paints and teeth are and how cool it should of been.

There's a local shop here that can't seem to give it away, so yes, I have seen it, and I'm afraid I found it as embarrassing in real life as the pics suggested (imo). I'm not usually that spiteful about sculpts, but how they green-lighted this one is really, really beyond me, especially considering their previous Hulk LSB was at least a decent effort — if buck-toothed, so I couldn't help but let that remark slip out, even if I probably shouldn't have. It's not the first time I let my disdain for it get the better of me.

Ultimately, that's just me. If in spite of the shortcomings you mention it's an OK bust with you, that's obviously all that matters. :)

I find it a hard bust to defend no doubt, but I find it hard to hate it beyond the obvious too. The same goes for the Marvel bust line in general which has lacked an overall vision from the start. The new busts tower over the old ones which is a major fail. I always thought they launched too small, or high on the chest, which is why I didn't collect them to begin with - the line lacks a sense of scale.
Here's some pix of it I took with the Bats bust and some others a while back.

P1010351-1.jpg

Oh, I don't hate it, I just wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. :D:wink1:

The same goes for the Marvel bust line in general which has lacked an overall vision from the start. The new busts tower over the old ones which is a major fail. I always thought they launched too small, or high on the chest.

Yeah, I get what you mean. That's exactly what happened with the Legendary Scale busts. My Daredevil is epic, but he just looks like a 10 year old next to my ladies LSBs. A 10 year old hobbit, at that.

Yes, I can understand. If the piece is for you, and only for you, it is ok to repaint it (IMO). It is a matter of taste. But if you are a serious collector you will accept the paintjob of the artist. It is a point of honor, like we German use to say.

These are actually painted by manual labor workers, they aren't necessary passionate about art. That's why you'll see lots of people get their stuff repainted by actual artists. You can even commission the original Sideshow prototype painters to repaint your statue, to me that would be the original way as it was intended to look, albeit much pricier.

-

Last edited:
We ordered it since we wanted to know if you are right but we received a almost prefect piece like the pictures on Sideshows website.

Deep purple eye shades and everything as shown. We cannot understand what pieces you did receive?!

Back