Serenity 1:250 Scale Cutaway Replica from QMx

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Early models had less of the green panels (there's only supposed to be 1 green panel) and there's a lot of random colors that aren't at all like what it's supposed to look, like the reactor flaps, and the same color used on the top of the engines. The cargo hold also has some weird attempts at weathering. The Serenity logo originally I think was hand-painted, which was a bit iffy from model to model, I think later they switched to using a stamp. I think a lot of changes were them trying to make the production process faster, I have a feeling they didn't make very much money off of the replica, maybe that's why the Star Trek stuff is so expensive.

I think your right, which is a damn shame because the ones they took their time on like this, were beautiful.
image.jpg

Starring at this prototype makes me sooo sad. Why can't I have such an outstanding Serenity Replica, shouldn't that be possible for 3.500 $ !? Waited so long, saved such an amount of money, and my only alternatives are a much more artless Cutaway Serenity or an overpriced BDR with major issues on painting quality. :(

We had always considered getting the BDR. We changed our mind after seeing in hand photos. I think for the price, it wasn't worth it, for us.

If Sideshow wants to do one for around that price and get it solid, I might re-consider.

We had always considered getting the BDR. We changed our mind after seeing in hand photos. I think for the price, it wasn't worth it, for us.

If Sideshow wants to do one for around that price and get it solid, I might re-consider.

I would be all over a sideshow one too. Till then the ornament, little maquette and cutaway(when it comes out) will have to do. I really think the cutaway is a great representation of serenity for the money, lots of cool detail going on.

I really think the cutaway is a great representation of serenity for the money, lots of cool detail going on.

Agree, and compared to the BDR really a bargain buy - but to my mind the Cutaway version looks way too clean, Serenity is a workhorse und should look like one. :horse

Well, regardless of the gripes members have with the paint apps, I think I need to get this one way or another. Perhaps my last chance to own a Serenity replica, it's hard for me to pass that up. :(

That's looks beautiful to me! The interiors don't interest me that much but it's a nice addition as well.

I would be very interested in your evaluation of the paint jobs on these compared to your own BDR!
(To my mind the paint job especially on the top of the main section and on the neck really impaired?)

I have a feeling things are maybe going to get a little interesting and not as black and white as many people may think.

I've had a good look at both the photo's in that thread and the video while looking at mine (my BDR happens to be right next to me by the PC).

I'll agree that based on those photo's the paint tends to look very flat, lacking any detail and weathering, the green panels are a pretty bright green. The video seems to be a bit the same, green panels a little bright, etc but at the same time it's a badly compressed video which has nothing at all in focus.

However, having said that, the video and especially the photo's are overall rather bright and overexposed in many ways. Taking photo's of Serenity isn't easy, due to it's metallic type paint work it will partly reflect the light, washing the surface out and making things look more flat, lacking in detail etc and producing colours that are brighter. It's much easier when looking at things in person that your eyes will tend to adjust to light depending on what your focusing on and of course you tilt and move your head around a bit just to see the detail.

Now, having said all that, I also went back a page and looked at all the photo's starting on Post 169 and yes, you can clearly see that QMx have cut some corners and simplified the overall paint apps. Even allowing for the general photo issues, the green panels are brighter and lack the subtle weathering in. Much of that top section, once you get past the cockpit seems to lack a lot of weathering and even the cockpit does as well. It's almost like they got 3/4 through the paint work and then stopped, missing much of the final grit and grim that would make you think it's a real, working spaceship. I guess you could say its a Star Trek clean paint job and not so much a Firefly one.

I'm sure that in hand, it still looks pretty darn good and it's not really as bad as oen may think from the photo's. But at the same time, if you put it next to mine, one would immediately notice the difference. Possibly so much so that if I'd paid $3500 for that one, I'm not sure I'd be totally happy. On the other hand, having paid $2000 for mine, I can assure you, I am really super happy.

A couple of interesting notes. It looks like JediMind got his around December 2013, while I got mine in June 2010, however, looking at the name plate, while it's hard to be sure, it seems to be only double digit number, maybe 64 or 84 of 1000. Mine is 115 from the day of pre-order. So not sure what's going on there.

As to the question of cost's, I have no doubt that QMx took a pretty big hit and lost money on those initial pre-order BDR's. Yes a bunch of people complained it was too small and cost too much, but given the development time and then the time it would take to make each one of those first BDR's, within the USA, there is no way they made any profit from that $2000. I highly suspect the reason production has stopped, is that to make and sell the same quality BDR that I have, would cost $4500+ and no one would pay that, so they cancelled production.

I notice looking at the Secret compass website that they list the BDR in stock. If one was planning to get it, I think I'd be having some emails with them, find out how many they have and get good quality, sharp photo's in neutral light of the one you would get if you ordered.

If it will help anyone on the fence, I guess I can look at taking a couple of photo's this weekend of that middle section with a green panel using my newer Canon DSLR (my initial photo's where shot just using an old P&S) and then adjust, etc so that what I see on screen is what I see in hand.

A couple of interesting notes. It looks like JediMind got his around December 2013, while I got mine in June 2010, however, looking at the name plate, while it's hard to be sure, it seems to be only double digit number, maybe 64 or 84 of 1000. Mine is 115 from the day of pre-order. So not sure what's going on there.

Edition numbers were given by the time you ordered a BDR, not when you received it. Orders resellers like Secret Compass placed were on hold until now, because of the problems QMx entcountered when they were building the first Replicas for their retail customers. QMx raised the price to 3500 $ and canceled all orders placed by resellers except the one of Secret Compass. They were some of the first, who ordered and are now the last ones, who received their shipment. That's probably the reason for the combination of low edition numbers with problems, that only occured at the end of production.

I notice looking at the Secret compass website that they list the BDR in stock. If one was planning to get it, I think I'd be having some emails with them, find out how many they have and get good quality, sharp photo's in neutral light of the one you would get if you ordered.

Yes I'm in contact with them, trying to get either a look at the actual Replica, they will ship to me before I send my payment, or get at least a warranty, that I can return my BDR and getting a full refund, if I'm not satisfied with the paint job done on my BDR. Waiting for a replay right now...

Would be still very interested in those pictures of yours in normal lighting.

Thanks a lot for you detailed evaluation!

Just wondering, how did this thread about the 1/250 scale Serenity Firefly turn into a debate about the BDH Serenity first editions vice later ones?

Old Grandpa

And they are both shiny. ;)
But sorry if I was straying off topic with my questions and concerns regarding the BDR.

Yes, sorry for going a bit off topic, but if people are interesting in making across the board comparisons, then this thread should help.

Remember when I said it wasn't easy taking a photo of Serenity, well I wasn't wrong.

This photo was taken using my Canon 60D DSLR in RAW format which was then fully adjusted in Photoshop CS6 on my fairly colour calibrated screen, while looking at the actual model I just photographed and trying my best to get it to match. I'm still not fully happy that screen image and real-life truly match and of course everyone's monitor will be different. While I usually only upload lower rez images, in this case, I have uploaded for the full 18 MP photo from my camera. So if you really want to see the full detail, please follow the link and download the hi-rez image from flickr (its a 2.5MB JPG). Happy to answer any specific quetions.

Serenity close-up by theguru1, on Flickr

That looks like a better photo, but it still has the same issues--the green panels, the engines with paint that's not supposed to be there. There's the sprayed black around the front of the reactor that wasn't masked

That looks like a better photo, but it still has the same issues--the green panels, the engines with paint that's not supposed to be there. There's the sprayed black around the front of the reactor that wasn't masked

By green panels I assume you mean that it has two and not just one? As such I'm personally not really worried about things like that. I mean the ship keeps changing between TV show and movie and I wouldn't be surprised if there was changes even in the middle of those things. There just isn't a single Serenity 'image', so I'd be more looking for the quality, detail, weathering, etc of the paint work. Which seems to have been simplified over the course of the production of the BDR and may well be yet more simple for the cut-away edition.

Back