Serenity 1:250 Scale Cutaway Replica from QMx

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's only 3 versions of the ship, the original version they made at the beginning of production (you can see it in promotional materials of the show and various shots in the TV series), the final TV version that's redesigned and has more detail, and then the movie version which has more detail plus redesigned engines and landing gear. There's very clear reference for what they were doing

Serenity_Original_TV_07.jpg

OK, so from a base model point of view, there's 3 different versions, which in some cases, based on that image are very different. Does that also mean there was only ever 3 different paint schemes, one per model basically and that never changed?

btw, looking at the photo's of the new cutaway and that model reference, it seems they have taking a bit from the more simple movie version in a couple of spots. Especially around the area between the Bridge solar panel and the first solar panel on the side.

OK, so from a base model point of view, there's 3 different versions, which in some cases, based on that image are very different. Does that also mean there was only ever 3 different paint schemes, one per model basically and that never changed?

btw, looking at the photo's of the new cutaway and that model reference, it seems they have taking a bit from the more simple movie version in a couple of spots. Especially around the area between the Bridge solar panel and the first solar panel on the side.

I disagree, it looks nothing like the early concept, the whole design seems to be taken exactly from the middle redesigned tv version.
image.jpgimage.jpg

This is nice, I really need to add a Serenity to my home at some point, at 12" this is a little on the small side though for me.

Yes, they were only textured once and that never changed, the only change was the reaverized version of the ship for the movie which can pretty much be counted as a different version.

I disagree, it looks nothing like the early concept, the whole design seems to be taken exactly from the middle redesigned tv version.

I wasn't referring to the early concept one, I was comparing the redesigned TV to the new cutaway model and the movie version. If as I said, you look at the starboard side of all three of those, between the front Bridge solar panel and the next solar panel down that side, you can see that the cutaway model looks like the Movie version, which is different from the redesigned TV one. So no, the cutaway model isn't taken 'exactly' from the middle redesigned TV version.

Yes, they were only textured once and that never changed, the only change was the reaverized version of the ship for the movie which can pretty much be counted as a different version.

ahh, ok, so I guess they goofed on the double green, I wonder where they got it from then if there was only ever one colour reference model for the movie version.

So here's the 3 models, ignoring the first Original one and just looking at the TV rebuild and the movie Serenity. Do you agree that ship hull area between the two lots of solar panels is different, the TV one has extra detail or some damage or something going on that the movie one does not.

View attachment 89105

Here's a photo of the cutaway model from QMx, look at the exact same area, it matches the movie ship in the image above, not the TV rebuild one.
O and funny enough, the cutaway is missing the Serenity logo :lol tho I guess with any luck, final shipping production versions will have it.

So here's the 3 models, ignoring the first Original one and just looking at the TV rebuild and the movie Serenity. Do you agree that ship hull area between the two lots of solar panels is different, the TV one has extra detail or some damage or something going on that the movie one does not.

View attachment 89105

Here's a photo of the cutaway model from QMx, look at the exact same area, it matches the movie ship in the image above, not the TV rebuild one.
O and funny enough, the cutaway is missing the Serenity logo :lol tho I guess with any luck, final shipping production versions will have it.

The cutaway is the tv version, only the movie version has the serenity logo that's why it's not on the cutaway version. The cutaway version is lacking the detail you are pointing out but everything else is there for the tv version and that detail is a missed paint detail the 3d model used for the cutaway is definitely 100% the tv version.

The only big difference is texturing, the only detail changes are things like panels that were originally just a bump bap are now modeled, and the hatch is the oval shape rather than the U shape

The main difference I always notice between the tv and movie versions is the VTOL thrusters are redesigned. And the weird looking jointed bug leg landing gear (which I never liked) on the movie version, compared to the straight legged landing gear on the tv version.

The cutaway is the tv version, every serenity qmx has made is the tv version except for the bdr which is the movie version. Only the movie version has the serenity logo that's why it's not on the cutaway version. The cutaway version is lacking the detail you are pointing out but everything else is there for the tv version and that detail is a missed paint detail the 3d model used for the cutaway is definitely the tv version.

The only big difference is texturing, the only detail changes are things like panels that were originally just a bump bap are now modeled, and the hatch is the oval shape rather than the U shape

Ahh ok. It's only the movie version that has the logo, that's strange. In that case, whats the circle looking shape that is right at the point of the second solar panel, it looks a bit like the logo on the rebuilt TV version or is that a hatch. If its a hatch, then that's modelling detail totally missing from the cutaway model.

I always liked how the serenity on the tv show had the exterior of the cargo hold painted to resemble a boats hull, kind of a nod to how mal and the crew are always calling serenity a boat. I just wish qmx would have done a better job on the paint/weathering on the cutaway version because it looks more gold then aged wood like it did on the tv series.
image.jpg

Ahh ok. It's only the movie version that has the logo, that's strange. In that case, whats the circle looking shape that is right at the point of the second solar panel, it looks a bit like the logo on the rebuilt TV version or is that a hatch. If its a hatch, then that's modelling detail totally missing from the cutaway model.

That's the Serenity logo, it's different on the TV version:
Serenity%20Logo.jpg

Further back there's a hatch, on the TV version it's an upside down U shape, on the movie version it's an egg/oval shape like the interior hatches.

That's interesting, I never noticed it on the show but I guess it did have a logo on the tv serenity, here is a screen shot of it.
image.jpg

The logo is very hard to make out in most shots but now that I've seen it, I want it on the cutaway model. I just emailed qmx to see if they would add the logo before they release this. I doubt they will add it, but it's worth a shot, anyone else who wants it added should email them too, there is a contact option on their website, power in numbers, they might add it if they see people want it.

I know I'm 10+ years behind, but just watching Firefly for the first time now!
I want one of the Serenity models now :D

Back