QMx: 1/6 Firefly - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine in... no emails and I don't know if I had an order on the QMX site since I don't know that I ever signed in.

Anyway all safe and sound and the plaque was undernearth opening flap so it seemed easy to find.

5d1dedc5-564c-4e9d-8b88-0d4d7843fa3b_zpsvtbb3dvz.jpg

Wow, so much nicer!
How did you pull that off? And how many hours did you take!?
Not long at all. I dyed both the shirt and coat in dark brown dye. The shirt was done twice, and the coat was done three times but for longer in the dye. I added some kids black shoe polish to the dye when doing the coat, so the crevices and the lower part of the coat got a bit darker when it drip dried. It gave some nice variations in tone. After that, I weathered the clasps on the coat and painted the buttons on the shirt dark brown. All up, maybe a couple of hours on and off over a day.

Not long at all. I dyed both the shirt and coat in dark brown dye. The shirt was done twice, and the coat was done three times but for longer in the dye. I added some kids black shoe polish to the dye when doing the coat, so the crevices and the lower part of the coat got a bit darker when it drip dried. It gave some nice variations in tone. After that, I weathered the clasps on the coat and painted the buttons on the shirt dark brown. All up, maybe a couple of hours on and off over a day.
My dye keeps coming out and I have dyed it about 5 times now. What dye did you use.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My coat is not taking the dye

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I?m no expert, but in my experience with dye: washing the item first with a mix of detergent and vinegar with a sink, bucket, or pot of water at least 2-3 times helps get any factory chemicals out of the clothing which will then help the new dye adhere better. Also, it?s good to let the item air dry for about 3-4 day?s before washing it again. Hope this helps if you haven?t tried this already

With that said: I didn’t dye my coat. I used washes of fabric paint to get it darker as well as apply dirt and grime effects.

Last edited:
Back