Serenity 1:250 Scale Cutaway Replica from QMx

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm hoping some of the panels have just been placed poorly. Couple of big gaps on the forward fuselage. :(

The BDR was the movie version, this is the TV version, very similar but not the same.

That's true but the dimensions of the ship are the same for both, only the textures and details were enhanced, the same 3d model was used for the overall shape and dimensions of both. image.jpg

It looks cool, though I wish it had a weathered paint job. But $350 is much more reasonable than their other stuff.

I definitely agree with you, I would have liked a more weathered paint job too, but beggers can't be choosers I guess. I am really happy to be getting a larger scale model of this awesome ship.

I already have display ideas for this beast, I hope it comes with LEDs.

I wonder who here has the Big Damn Replica?

It's not coming with any lighting

Never got the BDR, too expensive and it has a few issues I really don't like. I hope some day to build my own. I've actually got a 3D printer coming, so I might be able to.

I wonder who here has the Big Damn Replica?

:wave

And it's interesting to read about those changes between the TV and film version, especially about the rivets. Since it's not till one gets up close and looks at the BDR, that you do indeed see all the tiny rivets.

Those are old photo's, I really must take new ones.

The issues I have are like the paint, which is terribly inconsistent, and some other stuff like the pipes on the reactor which are just brass rods bent into shape, and it's missing the smaller pipes, and for people that had ordered early and wanted it with the reactor flaps open they had it where the flaps screwed on which looked horrible. The model without the paint is very good, but after that they really screwed up.

I don't find anything inconsistent about the paint on mine. Yes the screws on the reactor flaps did look very bad, but while I ordered mine within the first hour of it going up, I wasn't in the very first batch that shipped. So while my reactor flaps are open, QMx very quickly fixed that issue and mine don't have any screws and yet the flaps have stayed in place just fine all this time (no they are not glued in).
I suspect it was likely only the first dozen or so that shipped out with a number of initial problems and I'm sure that anyone who wasn't happy, had them fixed at no cost.

I mean paint jobs between replicas is inconsistent, like the Serenity logo on the ship has varying degrees of quality, and some have changes in the paint job like different colored panels.

:wave

And it's interesting to read about those changes between the TV and film version, especially about the rivets. Since it's not till one gets up close and looks at the BDR, that you do indeed see all the tiny rivets.

Those are old photo's, I really must take new ones.

Nice pics guru, I wish it was mine :clap

Had the Big Damn Replica on order at QMx for nearly two years without any progress ("Due to increased demand we have temporarily suspended new orders..." etc.) got a mail a few days ago, that they are forced to discontinue production of the BDR due to the lack of certain parts and had to cancel my order. :(

The Cutaway-Serenity isn't really an option compared to the Big Damn Replica - trying right now to get one of the last remaining BDRs from Secret Compass.

@guru I really would enjoy some pics of your BDR in normal lighting, as I think there was a significant degradation in overall paint job quality on the BDR during the production time - if you have one of the first editions, your pics might be helpful to varify this. Would be very important for my purchase decision. (Sooo Big Damn money they want...)

Thanks!

hmm, so production basically ended for the BDR, that's interesting, I wonder how many ended up actually being made, even tho they are all numbered x/1000

Stonefish, I really don't have any photo's at the moment in 'normal' lighting but now that I have a newish camera/setup, etc I should take soem new ones, just not sure when that will be. I can say that due to the metalic type paint, depending on what light one has, it can look and react somewhat different. Based on the two photos I posted, the second one of it in flight with the starfield background has a colour tone that is more or less what it generally looks like.

Damn stonefish 2 years with no bdr shipped then they cancel completely on you, that is really *****tty customer service from qmx. I hope they do better on this cutaway version cuz that is rediculous. Good luck with secret compass I hope you can end up with one, I would get a bdr if I could get it flex pay thru sideshow for the original $2000, the $3500 is just way outta my range. It is one sweet boat tho if you get one of the good ones.

Good luck with secret compass I hope you can end up with one, I would get a bdr if I could get it flex pay thru sideshow for the original $2000, the $3500 is just way outta my range. It is one sweet boat tho if you get one of the good ones.

Actually the original price was $2500, if one had signed up for emails about the BDR when it was previewed at SDCC 2009 before it even went up for order, you got sent a $500 discount code.

Actually the original price was $2500, if one had signed up for emails about the BDR when it was previewed at SDCC 2009 before it even went up for order, you got sent a $500 discount code.

Yeah I wish I had noticed QMx and the big damn stuff they made already at that time. Could have get a BDR in even better quality for nearly half the price I have to lay out now. I really doubt that there will ever be another replica in that size and with those cool light up features. (Fanbase is really dedicated to their franchise but quite not big enough to justify development costs for another big replica by another manufacturer and without any sequel movie/series it won't getting any bigger)

So it's now or never, I guess. Wouldn't be that hard to find someone to overhaul a bad paint job, but at $ 3.500 that is really nothing you should have to...

It's really hard to be a browncoat!

Out of interest, does anyone have photo's of what they are calling a bad paint job. I don't think mine is but it would be interesting to compare.

Out of interest, does anyone have photo's of what they are calling a bad paint job. I don't think mine is but it would be interesting to compare.

Please take a look at the one Jediguy received from Secret Compass recently:

Jediguys Big Damn Replica

This one on Youtube seems to be purchased at Secret Compass a little while ago, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW2zIWtZwU0

I would be very interested in your evaluation of the paint jobs on these compared to your own BDR!
(To my mind the paint job especially on the top of the main section and on the neck really impaired?)

Thanks!

Jediguys paint looks pretty bad, the green green panels on the midsection and the white/gray looking reactor/tail section colors especially. This cutaway version will be much more consistent. I think I would have to see it first hand or at least detailed pictures of the actual model I was getting before I would buy. Maybe see if secret compass will send you pics of the unboxed model before you buy, and good luck to you.

Early models had less of the green panels (there's only supposed to be 1 green panel) and there's a lot of random colors that aren't at all like what it's supposed to look, like the reactor flaps, and the same color used on the top of the engines. The cargo hold also has some weird attempts at weathering. The Serenity logo originally I think was hand-painted, which was a bit iffy from model to model, I think later they switched to using a stamp. I think a lot of changes were them trying to make the production process faster, I have a feeling they didn't make very much money off of the replica, maybe that's why the Star Trek stuff is so expensive.

Back