Robert Rodriguez's PREDATORS Movie Thread - SPOILERS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would've liked CP to be the hero too...obviously...:D

____ the Wolf. I hate that Predator.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the fundemental flaw in the AVP films was poor writing and performance of the human leads.
I won't disagree that those were significant flaws. But more important, in my estimation, is the lack of any real tension or pacing. Lots of action flicks have had pretty mediocre stories and/or actors, yet still are enjoyable because they know how to create tension. Or better yet, how to effectively stage an action scene. Those AVP movies didn't seem concerned with any of that that I've noticed.

Yeah, good writing and acting are nice, but we're not looking for best dramatic picture at some awards show. I mean, Arnold? He has some charisma, and was good enough at acting that he didn't take you out of the movie. But people didn't watch his movies for his acting chops. They watched him because he was a 'roided out freak who could punch a guy's head off.

Well...to be fair, he isnt a HORRIBLE actor. He played the part to be likeable and you rooted for him. Which is good enough. No one in either AvP movie even did that.

Exactly, I'm not talking about Oscar winning performances and writing, I just mean characters and story that are interesting and engaging, which I found the human side of the AVP films to lack. None of the Alien or Predator films are great examples of writing and acting, but the first films in each series contained interestingly written and portrayed characters that got you to invest in what happens to them and the story instead of wanting to chear for them all to die and getting annoyed waiting for the creatures to show up. AVP 1 was very boring to me until the Predators finally landed Earth, up until then it was like, ok, let's get the show going here.

I watched AvP last night. It's bad, but atleast it tried to have character.

Anyway...---->

I agree with you, Celtic. And having actors on the order of Brody and Fishburne involved definitely makes me feel better than not having good actors. However, wouldn't hold Arnold up as an example of a particularly good actor. He was serviceable, which is all he needed to be because of his "look." My point is that the fundamental flaws in the AVP films goes deeper than writing and acting, IMO. I think you shove Arnold into one of those and they still suck nearly as badly.

I like AVPR over AVP, the variety of environments the creatures were shot in was more visually interesting, and I liked all the creature designs more.

I think Alien, Aliens and Predator are well written and performed, but not something I would every consider Oscar level, which is what I meant. There are a lot of movies I think are well performed and written but don't showcase anything that would likely catch Oscar level attention, they just make for great entertainment.

I like AVPR over AVP, the variety of environments the creatures were shot in was more visually interesting, and I liked all the creature designs more.
t5kobd.png

AvP-R has NOTHING good about it. NOTHING. Bad acting, bad characters, bad story, bad effects, bad creature effects...its violent for no reason, has ugly camera work, and the post production darkness.

Aside from the bias, it ruins all the other films before it, destroys the continuty of Alien through, and makes Ripley's stuggle moot.

AvP-R is worse then bad.

I think Alien, Aliens and Predator are well written and performed, but not something I would every consider Oscar level, which is what I meant. There are a lot of movies I think are well performed and written but don't showcase anything that would likely catch Oscar level attention, they just make for great entertainment.

....but Weaver DID get nominated for Aliens. So.......:confused:

1986 must have been a pretty thin year for nominations. :lol

That said, I could less about Oscar-winning writing or acting so long as I enjoy the movie.

I generally like movies better than films anyway. Judging from the stuff we all talk about here on Freaks I imagine most all of you prefer to watch Aliens for the fifty-millionth time rather than watching Citizen Kane again.

:monkey4....

Alien, Aliens. Some of the greatest sci fi films of ALL TIME. Mostly due to great writing, and acting.

I get all that, and agree they're great, all I was trying to say was that when I said the AVP movies lacked good story, in response to this post

Yeah, good writing and acting are nice, but we're not looking for best dramatic picture at some awards show.

that these movies don't have to be the next big Oscar winning performance to be good or better than the AVP movies. I think the stories and acting of Alien, Aliens and Predator is way beyond what we got handed with AVP, and all I'm saying is, if they'd done that well with story and acting in the AVP films, we would have gotten two really kickass movies.

I get all that, and agree they're great, all I was trying to say was that when I said the AVP movies lacked good story, in response to this post

that these movies don't have to be the next big Oscar winning performance to be good or better than the AVP movies. I think the stories and acting of Alien, Aliens and Predator is way beyond what we got handed with AVP, and all I'm saying is, if they'd done that well with story and acting in the AVP films, we would have gotten two really kickass movies.

Oh.............................

:lecture I agree, the designs in AvP were ass. AvP:R was light year's better.

What? Are you KIDDINg me?

predalien.jpg

One of the worst creatures ever concived.

Dont get me started on the Aliens...

How? The Predalien is hidous! HIDIOUS.

AvP's only flaws were the HORRIBLE faces, and short chubby Preds. Wolf is just as bad as Scar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back