Robert Rodriguez's PREDATORS Movie Thread - SPOILERS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No way... :horror

It was never going to top the original. The reason why the first one worked was because it had the perfect blend of humour, action and intense moments. Arnie and the rest of the cast had so much charisma and it doesnt matter who they cast in these new movies its never gonna top them. Arnie was a character who you thought could take on the predator and maybe win. He was the perfect match for the predator where as in the new movie the cast weren't bad but just not as badass. Danny Trejo dying right near the begininng aswell was a bad idea because hes such an awesome character actor and he was wasted. I thought Topher Grace was OK but I already knew his twist going in and I don't think his storyline had as much of an impact as it could have because I don't think we were made to care about the characters.

Sorry I'm waffling now. I can see why some would enjoy it as its a chance to see the predators in thier own movie outside of AVP but for me it ended up being too cliche and just not very exciting. The predators were wimps and having the original pred didnt make sense as this is clearly supposed to be a sequel to the first movie.

Just came back from it. It was entertaining. Definitely some plot holes and some weak moments, but overall I enjoyed it and felt that it fit into the Predator franchise. It truly felt like a Predator sequel.

The Good:
Acting, especially Adrien Brody
The jungle setting
Music
Atmosphere
Build-up
Predator acting (didnt' feel like football players)
Mr. Black
Original Predator

The Bad:
Lawrence Fishburne's acting and his entire plotline
Not enough Predator screen time
Didn't quite understand the first predator's involvement
Danny Trejo's screen time

The Ugly:
Mr. Black's noggin

Question: so what was the deal with the first Predator? Why was he tied up? Why did him and Mr. Black fight? Fishburne mentioned something about two races, but it was so fast that it didn't make sense.

Question: so what was the deal with the first Predator? Why was he tied up? Why did him and Mr. Black fight? Fishburne mentioned something about two races, but it was so fast that it didn't make sense.

He pretty much was clear that they're just warring tribes. I guess he was just being held captive to kill later anyway, hence the regular Pred skulls that were on the floor. I didn't think it was a plot hole:dunno

He pretty much was clear that they're just warring tribes. I guess he was just being held captive to kill later anyway, hence the regular Pred skulls that were on the floor. I didn't think it was a plot hole:dunno

Gotcha. Fishburne just said it so fast, and no time was devoted to elaborating.

If they were dropping species down here to hunt, it just didn't make sense they the Predator 1 was on the planet - he clearly wasn't being hunted. Or maybe he WAS hunted, and like you said, he was going to be killed later.

Gotcha. Fishburne just said it so fast, and no time was devoted to elaborating.

If they were dropping species down here to hunt, it just didn't make sense they the Predator 1 was on the planet - he clearly wasn't being hunted. Or maybe he WAS hunted, and like you said, he was going to be killed later.

yeah, I had to listen carefully to LB since he whispered so low. The thing I wasn't 100% sure on was the whole "any Pred with a gauntlet can control a ship" thing. And I think it would've pretty cool had they shown the P1 armor up or something.

Ah OK. I'm not really up on my Predator knowledge. Seen all the movies and played all the games but never read the comics and that.

I loved the first movie and liked the second but never been a huge fan of the franchise. Not sure if thats a good thing or not going into this movie.

I was just reminded in another forum and was actually gonna ask the question here last night and forgot, but does anybody think that the alien chasing Topher Grace was a nod to the original Van Damme Predator?

Good question! I need to see it again to remind myself what it looked like. It had such a short amount of screen time.

Not better than the original, but I loved it, and think it would go great if watched right after the first. Personally, I loved it, all of it. True, the preds didn't have much screen time, but Jungle Hunter didn't either, I did love how many times it showed them cloaked before it showed them uncloaked. I never got the idea that Hanzo was a skilled fighter, because he had a gun with him... If he was a samauri, he would have come with a sword. Thought the first two predators' deaths were done well. I was glad to see Nikolai go taking that pred with him, not that I didn't like either one, but it was better than one of them coming out alive. I can't wait to get back to the theatre to see it again!

Saw the movie last night at midnight and i loved it!!! Definitely not as good as P1 (that's a classic) but still very enjoyable and i left the theater anxious for more!!! :clap

In defence of Classic Predator, he was stung up for goodness knows how long, and would have been very fatigued before the fight. I still think it was a massive mistake to use 6'5" guys to play the preds as the heads seemed to be made for much bigger actors.

If they are going to make a sequel I hope they use 7' plus actors, just get a wrestler or an EX Wookiee

I was just reminded in another forum and was actually gonna ask the question here last night and forgot, but does anybody think that the alien chasing Topher Grace was a nod to the original Van Damme Predator?

Could be. Actually, probably so...

It also looked somewhat wooden in it's skin texture. Thought it was the faun from Pan's Labyrinth :lol

predator-original-design-3.jpg

I thought it was fun and actually didn't mind the nutty Morpheus. I did think it barrows a little much from the first one. Like the sword guy/Billy stay-behind. Although the fight was really cool.

Loved Brody and the other characters and it was a neat over-all concept.

The biggest FAIL was the under use of having the "Classic" tribe Pred team up with them. That was a cool idea that should have come into play sooner and lasted longer IMO.

Also I felt sorry for Mr Black being stuck with two of the most inept predators to appear in any of the movies

I was kinda caught off guard too that the Russian guy was so grenaded up, so I can't fault Flusher for dying. But I guess they wanted to give the Yakuza guy an honorable death and it had to come at the expense of Falconer:dunno The whole time during the fight though, I was waiting for Falconer to launch Lazerbeak to distract him and then kill him, but nope

Not great, but okay. After meeting Noland I couldn't get past that for being there 10 years and surviving he was so fat.

I was kinda caught off guard too that the Russian guy was so grenaded up, so I can't fault Flusher for dying. But I guess they wanted to give the Yakuza guy an honorable death and it had to come at the expense of Falconer:dunno The whole time during the fight though, I was waiting for Falconer to launch Lazerbeak to distract him and then kill him, but nope

True but I think it is a thing of honor to not go for a cheap kill. I noticed an interesting thing this morning too. I watched the original again before catching this one and realized that the first Pred kill was when Hawkins went after the girl. It looked like he was attacking her.

Until then the pred had not attacked and after Hawkins died the team fired on the Pred then he started picking them off.

Wonder if he would have ever attacked if Hawkins let the gal go :duno

Not great, but okay. After meeting Noland I couldn't get past that for being there 10 years and surviving he was so fat.

I thought that too :lol But - it didn't say how long a season was and as soon as Royce and the lady were done fighting - another crop of prey were being drop-shipped in. So seasons could be less than a year.

He looked kind of old, some older people just tend to be fatter.

Or maybe Mr. Black built a KFC (not meant to be racist! ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back