Playstation Vita Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Playstation Vita (formerly PSP2/NGP - $250)

So, should we hold off on getting vita for a bit... maybe there will be price drops in the US?

I would hold off if Iwere you Ithink the sales in the us will be crap too and then there will be a price drop.

There's always going to be a price drop...the question are when they will happen, and can you hold out on purchasing until those price drops come.

Any more news on the vita?

Specifically about a price cut? No, no info, though the thing is selling miserably in Japan. If I were to guess, I'd bet that we'll see a price cut Fall shopping season this year in America, depending on how it fares when it launches in February.

For a comprehensive review of the hardware, OS, battery life tests, and a few games, go here:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-playstation-vita

Last edited:

Specifically about a price cut? No, no info, though the thing is selling miserably in Japan. If I were to guess, I'd bet that we'll see a price cut Fall shopping season this year in America, depending on how it fares when it launches in February.

For a comprehensive review of the hardware, OS, battery life tests, and a few games, go here:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-playstation-vita

:goodpost:
Thanks

Yes I'd definitely say we'll see a price drop like the 3DS' sometime towards Fall maybe even right before Xmas so Sony can boost their sales.

Japan is not an indication of international popularity in anyway lol.
Sony is quite stubborn with their prices, no drop till at least Xmas as Plasmid says. Although i was surprised Nint dropped the 3ds price

I'm sure it'll do fine in the long run. They've sold around 500,000 right? that would give them a $45,000,000 profit so far (assuming they make 90 dollars of each console). So its not like PS3s where they lost money at first lol

Last edited:

Not sure why Japan is used as any kind of sales model...Japan makes sense to Japan....

That said, I am waiting on a price drop/see if this thing is popular....

Japan is such an interesting litmus test with the Vita because they fully embraced the PSP, more so than any other market.

Also, according to IGN, each Vita costs $160 to make.

Japan is such an interesting litmus test with the Vita because they fully embraced the PSP, more so than any other market.

Also, according to IGN, each Vita costs $160 to make.

This. Yeah, Japan loves their handhelds, so these sales results are telling IMO. May mean nothing in the longterm, but it's a bad start.

This is all the same stuff they said about the 3DS and look how its selling now lol.

For me like most am going to wait till xmas(or the new model) to get one. Its not economically viable for me right now

This is all the same stuff they said about the 3DS and look how its selling now lol.

For me like most am going to wait till xmas(or the new model) to get one. Its not economically viable for me right now

That's true, but the sales the 3DS is getting now is because of the price drop.

I went ahead and preordered the first edition bundle from Amazon. I figured that the money saved from just tax would justify getting the bundle, as I was going to get a 4 GB card and carrying case anyway. Hopefully Little Deviants is a decent title, I am also going to pick up Uncharted and Ultimate MvC. I am a sucker for handhelds, ever since the original GB days.

That's true, but the sales the 3DS is getting now is because of the price drop.

Partly true, I credit the sales increase to the software releases. Mario games do wonders for hardware sales, and the upcoming RE Revelations is enticing to many that were on the fence.

The 3DS price drop and increased software library are driving sales. Monster Hunter was released in December and plays a big part in hardware sales. There was a pic of a store in Japan that posted a sign that indicated that they aren't selling Vitas because it doesn't have Monster Hunter.

https://tinycartridge.com/post/12810612914/japanese-retailer-not-carrying-ps-vita-for-lack-of

The Vita launch software appears to be western oriented with the likes of Uncharted. The top selling game for the Vita in Japan was Hot Shots Golf, which happens to be Japanese inspired. Once more Jrpgs hit the system (and Monster Hunter) it will be more likely to sell more in Japan. Persona 4 The Golden and Gravity Rush/Daze seem to be hot right now.

Also, I don't think a price drop is imminent because isn't Sony selling the Vita at a loss?

Last edited:

The Vita's sales so far aren't fully indicative of its prospective future as a financially viable product for Sony.

As Raikirik handily pointed out above, there are numerous factors that could have impeded better sales in Japan. Vita's Japanese launch didn't have a killer app. Monster Hunter would've been that big IP.

Anyway, here's the finalized AT$T data plans for the 3G Vita:

The AT&T Data Connect plans are month by month and not contract based. All plans include complimentary AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot access in the United States. There are two plan choices:

1. 250MB for $14.99, 30-day recurring opt out, which starts at the date and time of purchase.
2. 3GB for $30.00, 30-day recurring opt out, which starts at the date and time of purchase.

Same as iPad plans and many phone plans. It should be noted that the second plan is new for AT&T, as it replaces the then-standard $25 for 2GB plan.

It sucks, but then again, most smartphone data plans in the U.S. are overpriced.

Partly true, I credit the sales increase to the software releases. Mario games do wonders for hardware sales, and the upcoming RE Revelations is enticing to many that were on the fence.

This is a good point. Launch games are so vital to sales that I'm surprised that there wasn't some RPG already available for the Vita. Japanese people are suckers for RPGs so they could've redone any of the Final Fantasy games, and it would've sold like hot cakes.

I keep going back and forth on this so I went and preordered it from Amazon again, but with Batman & Joker figures shipping soon I don't know if I want to dip into my savings that much.

I previously had vita preordered but decided to cancel my order as I want to put those funds towards Hot Toys figures. While they have a good launch lineup, I think that having Uncharted Golden Abyss release just a few months after Uncharted 3 really hurts my excitement for the title.

Battlefield 3 on the Vita using Remote Play...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1H28Cwb82Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1H28Cwb82Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Some of the comments say the PS3 needs to be hacked to do it though.

Back