Playstation 3 Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably like 40$

I didn't even bother with mine and i don't think you should either. It will more than likely last fine. Sony has a 1 year warranty i believe and if anything happens it's covered. (register it online i think) If i was to get a 360 that would be a different story.

But it's up to you. I got mine last week and it's running like a champ. (had a 40gb for a while and it lasted great as well)

I decided not to get the warranty either. Bought a Slim this afternoon (traded in my PS2 and a few games) so I got it for less than $300 including tax. Didn't get a game yet (torn between getting both MGS4 and Bioshock or Arkham Asylum) but I should have one or two by the end of the night.

I just wanted to chime in and say I love my PS3. I've had it since last November and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.

me too...
not only are the games fun to play but the bluray movies play nicely and quality is amazing!

I love my PS3 because I love SONY and still have faith in them. They got me as a fan once I bought the PSX back in 1996. When the PS2 was announced and I saw screenshots in Gamepro and other magazines I needed one!!! We had just gotten internet back then and I was amazed at all the info I could find on it. When I was at school the day it came out, my awesome mom waited in line for me at Best Buy at like 6 am to get one one. When I got home I was so excited. I popped Tekken Tag in and that was it sealed deal...SONY had me from here on out. In these sudden but important years....SEGA died, Nintendo lost steam, and Microsoft arrived too late to the party to do any damage. Leaving SONY once again for the second gen in row to be crowned king.

But a fall from grace happened, SONY too sure of themselves, and with a really bad marketing scheme and thinking, shot themselves in the foot on the launch of the PS3. After some major changes with the people who run the company, among others, SONy seems to once again be on the rise back to it's former glory days.

While Microsoft sits comfortably, and Nintendo treads off into it's own niche market, SONY is left working hard and pushing to once again join the ranks. They are hungrier now than ever before and seem to once again be making good decisions. More and more exclusive games being added to the ever expanding library, with each firmware update we get a more solid online experience with the console, and of course quality of the console. With the new slim hitting and reduced price point, SONY is going to make up for some lost ground. With heavy hitters such as God of War 3 and Heavy Rain on horizon. I can't help but be excited by what the future may hold for SONY.

Next gen who knows what will happen? I'm left pondering these questions:

Will Nintendo shift it's focus to once again help to include a more hardcore audience and fix it's cumbersome online standpoint?

Will Microsoft once again be the everyman's consoles? Will they continue to dish out money for timed exclusives?

Will SONY once again be held in a positive light?

And will Apple make any moves to enter the console wars?

Only time will tell.

Finally had a chance to sit down and play my PS3 Slim yesterday (Bioshock). For the most part I'm impressed. It runs deadly silent (much quieter than my friend's 40gb model) and though I do like the glossy look of the fatties more, the flat finnish is really growing on me. I also like how Sony ditched the motion sensor that turned on the console and released the disc. The only complaint I have is that it does indeed run pretty warm. When I first hooked it up I played Bioshock for a good 2 1/2 to 3hrs and while it was warm (warmer than my 360), it wasn't any warmer than my friend's 40gb, however, in the times I've played it since, it has run considerably warmer than it did when I first played it. But seeing as how most people who have a Slim say their's run pretty warm I'm guessing (and hoping) this is normal and that there won't be any problems with it *knock on wood*. Overall I'm happy with my purchase and at least if anything happens to it within the next year I can send it back to Sony for free repair (though I kinda wish I had got the extended warranty now).

i have both consoles, i see the ps3 as an old school console by that i mean sitting gaming alone by yourself not talking to anyone

the 360 appeals to me more as i can sit and chat with friends even if we're not playing the same game, also everything is just that little bit easier to use on the 360 and the ps3 controller is too small

Were the buttons motion sensored? You had to touch them they were touch sensitive buttons. And damn were they so much sleeker than these new generic buttons we get on the slim. That's one change I wish they didn't make and actually makes it seem cheaper not in a good way.

Were the buttons motion sensored? You had to touch them they were touch sensitive buttons. And damn were they so much sleeker than these new generic buttons we get on the slim. That's one change I wish they didn't make and actually makes it seem cheaper not in a good way.

Sorry, I ment touch sensitive. They were sleek and fancy I will admit but I remember my friend who had a 60gb model who now has a 40 gb (his 60gb got stolen) and alot of the times on both of his PS3s when you touched the bottons to turn off the console or eject the disc, it wouldn't allways work. Imho, standard buttons feel less likely to break.

Another thing I was suprized to find is that the Slim is actually about the same size as the 360 (maybe even a tad bigger). The 360 is 10 1/2" x 11 1/2" and when standing horazontally is about 3" tall where the PS3 slim is about 11 1/2" x 11 1/2" and when standing horazontally is just slightly over 2 1/2" tall.

Last edited:
I like my old 60gb PS3 with backwards compatibility, just in case I wanna throw in Silent Hill 1 or 2. I don't like the fact the newer models cripple the system, making you need the ps2 as well. If i wanted a bigger hd, I'd just buy a bigger one and swap it out.

I like my old 60gb PS3 with backwards compatibility, just in case I wanna throw in Silent Hill 1 or 2. I don't like the fact the newer models cripple the system, making you need the ps2 as well. If i wanted a bigger hd, I'd just buy a bigger one and swap it out.
:lecture :lecture. i RAN to 2 different gamestops to track one of these down when i read that they were D/C the 60gb model and the future models will no longer be backwards compatible.

Are updates such as the new 3.0 really necessary? What do updates actually do?
yes and it depends sometimes they are really small updates but 3.0 was an overhaul with a lot of new features. i think playstation.com has listings on what features each update consists of.

if you want to ever play online or use the PSN store the updates are mandatory.

yes and it depends sometimes they are really small updates but 3.0 was an overhaul with a lot of new features. i think playstation.com has listings on what features each update consists of.

if you want to ever play online or use the PSN store the updates are mandatory.

So I'll need the 3.0 update to use the PSN Store? Bummer since I'm hearing alot of problems being reported with the new firmware affecting games and I was wanting to DL a few things on the PSN Store.

I found the message notification and the number of friends online while simple to be very useful.

True that.

So now that i got a PS3 again, where is a good place to pick up BR's on the cheap?

Actually, Amazon has pretty good prices. If your patient and willing to but BRs that have been out for a while, Amazon has Buy 2, get 1 free sales every now and then. Before Blu0Ray won the war and HD-DVD was still in the picture, they'd have Buy 1, Get 1 free sales every so often, but i haven't seen one since they've been on sale. Add in free shipping on orders over $25 and you really can't go wrong with Amazon.

I'm worried that my PS3 just took a turn for the worst. It turns on fine, but won't read any discs. I read some of you had this issue. Any advice on something I should try first before sending it to Sony? I read somewhere to restore the system back to factory settings (which I'm very skeptical about.)

Also, is it true that if you send it back, Sony sends you a refurbished system that is NOT your own???

UPDATE:

The Bad News: The diagnosis is that my drive motor went out, with possible reader lens issues.

The Good News: What would have cost me $150 to fix through Sony, is only costing me $50 parts, labor, and all!!! :banana I guess I'm just thankful that it could have been A LOT worse.

So for all of you who experience an issue like mine in the future, this may be where you should start!! Thanks again to all of you who lent me advice!

Back