Playstation 3 Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My PS3 got the YLOD last night.

I called Sony just for ____s and giggles to see what they say, but once they told me they wipe the HD as part of the process I knew that option was right out.

I looked at PSR, which ends up being most expensive, but looks most trustworthy.

Gopermods and Endless Electronics kind of ends up being a toss-up, reviews online seem to indicate Endless might just send you back your broken PS3 with a refund saying "we can't fix it"

If I were to repair it myself, on a scale of 1-10, how hard would it be?? I've built my last two computers myself, but that's because it was pretty easy, in my opinion, just plugging cords into different slots, etc. No big deal. I've not fussed with the thermal paste before, the last CPU I bought already had the fan and CPU put together so I never had to, and as far as I understand, that's the MAIN thing that causes YLOD in the first place. So, if I'm not experienced with it, that's what I worry about the most.

Is gilksy's fix a permanent repair, or is this just a design flaw in the PS3 that will consistently melt the solder causing another YLOD?

Many thanks to all those who offered opinions and advice, it really is appreciated folks.

I personally think the ps3 has better exclusives than the 360. For me the machine looks better and just has a classier feel to its interface and design. The 360 online is way better tho and I buy all the multi format games on my 360 because for me, the look a tad better and run better.
The blu ray drive and the fact you can pretty much add an external hard drive at ease is also very good.
The pad takes some getting used too and is not as good as the 360s imo.
I would definitely get the machine and you can pick them up quite cheap now. Games that are a must for me, heavy rain ( one of the best games iv played in a long time ) god of war 3, unchated1,2,3, and give motorstorm a try. If you have 3d, Motorstorm and wipeoiut are musts.

Hey guys looking for opinions on what to do with my 40gb (spider man blu ray) version ps3 issue. I got the YLOD on my PS3. I did the hair dryer trick and was able to get it running long enough to back it up. The YLOD came back shortly after that. I took it to a Sony service center the guy told me the motherboard needs to replaced. He did tell me it would cost me as much as getting a new system. He did tell me in his opinion he would cause the new PS3's are not as good quality as the one I have and other than the motherboard it is in great condition.

I don't know whether this is true or not so anybody got any info on this? I like the the fat body of the old system more personally but I thought I'd ask to get an educated opinion. Well let me know what you think.

I had the original PS3 60GB. I later upgraded and have two slims. No PS2 backwards compatibility and no flash card reader, but like my slims better as they are a lot quieter. The latest PS3 isn't cheaper in quality, just less fancy. It now has the mechanical door instead of the slot load. Today's PS3s use less parts and more integrated components which makes it cheaper to produce. If you had a chance to get it, i wuld recommend getting a new slim version instead the latest mechanical door system. Not sure if any slims are still floating around stores or not.

I figured now would be a good time to pick up a PS3, since I really want to play Last of Us, and the lack of backwards capability means it's not worth even considering spending the extra for a PS4. Lots of people dumping their PS3s to fund a PS4 means I can probably get a decent deal.

I've paid zero attention to the PS3's various models. Since I basically just want this for one game (I had some minor interest in some other exclusives), and don't plan on using it extensively, what model would be sufficient for me? I looked on eBay at some consoles, including ones bundled with LOU, and they seem to be in the $150ish range - though that varies based on it being a Slim model or higher storage.

Back