Playstation 3 Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a slim last night. I wish Sony would make it easier to transfer games to new systems. I had to re-download everything because the backup/restore utility won't restore to different machines, apparently. It was painless, but long. It would make a lot more sense to just allow you to deauthorize on one machine, and then authorize the other. The only thing I'm dreading is moving Singstar songs. Apparently, I have to call Sony and work out the transfer with them, since Singstar is handled differently than PSN. :monkey2

i've been thinking of trading in my 80 gig ps3 for the slim but the redownloading is whats holding me back, that and im really not having any trouble with my 80 gig one but my warranty expires in 2 weeks and would like to take advantage of it while i still have it.

I picked up a slim last night. I wish Sony would make it easier to transfer games to new systems. I had to re-download everything because the backup/restore utility won't restore to different machines, apparently. It was painless, but long. It would make a lot more sense to just allow you to deauthorize on one machine, and then authorize the other. The only thing I'm dreading is moving Singstar songs. Apparently, I have to call Sony and work out the transfer with them, since Singstar is handled differently than PSN. :monkey2
So all you have to do to get your saved game data back is sign onto your profile on the Slim and it'll have the option in the PSN store?

So all you have to do to get your saved game data back is sign onto your profile on the Slim and it'll have the option in the PSN store?

Yup. I did a backup from the old system and a restore on the new one. To be clear, this only applies to downloading PSN content like games and LBP stuff, etc. Your game save files still need to be transfered manually.

I called Sony regarding my Singstar songs and they said I'm SOL. :monkey2 They said that Sony Europe actually handles all the Singstar stuff, so I'm currently taking it up with them.

SOURCE - IGN

PS3 Falls to Last in Japan

System beaten four to one by Xbox 360 as anticipation builds for Slim.
by Anoop Gantayat

August 28, 2009 - There's a classic display of long Nintendo-style legs going on in Japan right now. Friend Collection came out over two months ago, and was quickly pushed out of the top spot by such big hits as Dragon Quest IX and Monster Hunter 3. But the game stuck it out and managed a return to number one in Media Create's weekly sales charts this week.

The DS Mii communication game sold 83,000 units this week, bringing its life-to-date to 810,000. According to Media Create, knowledge of the game has spread through word of mouth and television commercials. We can attest to seeing frequent commercials for the game even this far after release.

The top ten this week was mostly older titles, although there were a few niche newcomers that made it in. Here's the full list, covering 8/17 to 8/23.

1. Friend Collection (Nintendo, DS): 83,000 (810,000)
2. Dragon Quest IX (Square Enix, DS): 79,000 (3,723,000)
3. Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom, Wii): 51,000 (800,000)
4. Melty Blood Actress Again (Ecole Software, PS2): 44,000
5. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo, Wii): 32,000 (1,039,000)
6. SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Namco Bandai, PS2): 26,000 (258,000)
7. Okami Kakushi (Konami, PSP): 23,000
8. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G PSP the Best (Capcom, PSP): 18,000 (907,000)
9. Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega, NDS): 18,000 (127,000)
10. Ougon no Korda f Encore (Koei, PSP): 14,000

The hardware charts show a dramatic slowdown following the summer sales rush. But the biggest story is the PlayStation 3, which fell to dead last this week, selling 1/4 of the Xbox 360.

While the 360 is doing better than normal, the PS3's woes are presumably due to a lack of supply and anticipation for the upcoming slimline revision. Sony started promoting the system and its lower price over the tracking period. Unlike the rest of the world, the standard 80 gigabyte PS3 continues to remain at its full 39,800 yen.

Here's the full hardware list.

DSi: 59,578 (87,936)
PSP : 27,187 (39,882)
Wii: 26,972 (47,732)
Xbox 360: 8,979 (9,162)
DS Lite: 5,735 (7,921)
PS2 : 3,295 (4,907)
PS3: 2,052 (5,944)

Bummer Sarge, well my PS3 just took a sh_t on me for the 3rd time. I think my 60 gig is cursed. I am really getting ticked off, hopefully Starkiller will go easy on me. :rolleyes:

How is that game? Getting back into PS, wanna try it out!

RE5 is a great game. Not as creepy or intense as it's predecessors but a fun and addicting game nonetheless. Also if you haven't played them I highly recommend Dead Space and Sould Calibur 4. I have all of them on the 360 put have played the PS3 versions as well and while mostely they're the same (with very minor difference is graphics) except SC4 seemed to be easier for some reason on the PS3.

Yeah i just got done with the demo for RE5. Pretty cool. Like the online co-op feature. I should check out Dead space.

Question for those who allready picked up the PS3 Slim. I've read the Slim runs pretty warm compared to it's fat counterparts and was wonering if that was true? I know my PS2 Slim runs warmer than my sisters fatty PS2.

Ok so I'm hoping to pick up a PS3 this week but I'm uncertain of which model to get. I'm torn between the 80gb and the Slim. Now I know both are the same price and the Slim has more HDD space but I don't know how well it's gonna perform wereas the 80gb model is said to be the most reliable of the PS3's (not counting the Slim's of course as they have yet to be officially released). I'm leaning towards the Slim but another part of me says get the 80gb model because most say it's reliable and I like the look of the fatties better anyways.

Ok so I'm hoping to pick up a PS3 this week but I'm uncertain of which model to get. I'm torn between the 80gb and the Slim. Now I know both are the same price and the Slim has more HDD space but I don't know how well it's gonna perform wereas the 80gb model is said to be the most reliable of the PS3's (not counting the Slim's of course as they have yet to be officially released). I'm leaning towards the Slim but another part of me says get the 80gb model because most say it's reliable and I like the look of the fatties better anyways.

I would go for the 80gb, at least then if you feel the need to upgrade the HD you know you can do so... so it means the Fatty has all the advantages going for it, and it looks better... but it's up to yourself, i would go for the fatty

I don't think there is any data about the reliability of the Slim yet. In fact, I recently sold my fat to buy a slim because I was so tired of having to send the damn thing to Sony for a replacement. The fat has been a nightmare for me, and I am glad to be rid of it.

Another advantage of the Slim over the fat is power consumption. The Slim uses roughly half the power required of the fat.

imo, the only reason to get a fat is if you like ugly consoles and want to install Linux.

I want to play this really bad. Still can't decide if i should wait for the USE or not.

You're talking about Force Unleashed? I say wait for USE, I played the standard TFU on my firends PS3 and it was glitchy as hell (kept getting stuck in the eviorment an such) and the 360 version was even worse (it kept freezing along with the glitches). I say if you have a friend who has a copy, borrow his/hers and test it out. Hopefully USE will fix the glitches.

Back