Mattel to produce Back to the Future figures!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuzeh

Machete Don't Tweet!
CF Supporter
Reaction score
So,
kind of a rumor... from Shocker Toys FB:

https://www.facebook.com/ShockerToys?v=wall

Shocker Toys Just got wind that Mattel signed Back to the Future for action figures, accessories and toy vehicles (worldwide) through Universal!

I hope they do and they release both 6" and 12" like GB!!
:rock!!

EDIT:
Sort of Confirmed here:

Last edited:
Re: Rumor: Mattel doing Back to the Future figures?

Could be interesting. Though I'll wait to hear it from a more reliable source. Shocker is one of the crappiest toy companies on the planet and they are known for exagerating if not flat out lying to their customers.

Hopefully they do, the Mattel Ghostbuster 12" line was crap compaired to sideshow and Hot Toys but the accessories and outfits from them were pretty decent to use for custom figs

So Diamond Select says they couldn't do action figures because of likeness rights. Now Mattel is doing them. Diamond probably couldn't afford the licensing. Wonder if Mattel can improve on Diamond's 1:18 DeLoreans.

As I understood it, the problem in the past has been that Fox would not authorize his likeness. Perhaps he's changed his tune, like Bill Murray.

Come to think of it, I think Murray and Fox are friends. I recall some tv show where they went golfing together. Maybe mattel gives them free Barbies.

I would be interested in 6 inch versions, but the 12" GBs are really only good for the proton packs, IMO (though those packs are fine). If we got 12" Doc and Marty with horrible head sculpts and lame clothing, I might actually have to pass. The idea of passing on 12" BTTF figures really kills me, btw.

Having said all that, what Mando said ;)

I'd get 12" figures for parts.

And, yeah, Shocker is completely full of it but that's usually only when they are trying to defend their horrible business practices or attacking their "enemies." Don't see how lying about this does anything for them.

I'm sure we'll find out soon if it's true. The idea of having 6" BTTF figures that can stand next to my GBs is :drool

:slap
Ghostbusters...

Hopefully they do, the Mattel Ghostbuster 12" line was crap compaired to sideshow and Hot Toys but the accessories and outfits from them were pretty decent to use for custom figs

Why even compare Mattel to HT or even SS? :dunno
Completely different beasts IMO...

As I understood it, the problem in the past has been that Fox would not authorize his likeness. Perhaps he's changed his tune, like Bill Murray.
That would be great news!

Come to think of it, I think Murray and Fox are friends. I recall some tv show where they went golfing together. Maybe mattel gives them free Barbies.
:lol

I would be interested in 6 inch versions, but the 12" GBs are really only good for the proton packs, IMO (though those packs are fine). If we got 12" Doc and Marty with horrible head sculpts and lame clothing, I might actually have to pass. The idea of passing on 12" BTTF figures really kills me, btw.

Having said all that, what Mando said ;)
I wouldn't mind if they look like the 12" GB, I would use the gear with TT and Spenser's heads!

I'd get 12" figures for parts.

And, yeah, Shocker is completely full of it but that's usually only when they are trying to defend their horrible business practices or attacking their "enemies." Don't see how lying about this does anything for them.

I'm sure we'll find out soon if it's true. The idea of having 6" BTTF figures that can stand next to my GBs is :drool
:lecture

BttF would be cool but I think what I'd really be looking for is a 12" Hot Toys version (Marty and Doc only).

I like the 6" Mattel stuff but I draw the line at MOTUC. Can't collect everything!

I've yet to see a custom Marty head that I feel does him justice. Maybe Vartal and some others would make a go at it if Mattel actually went this route. You still have the problem of the sub-par clothing, though. If it sucks, then what are you buying them for? A flux capacitor and remote control, maybe?

6" Back to the Future/Ghostbusters compatible figures would be fine by me.

I've yet to see a custom Marty head that I feel does him justice.

That situation may change in the not-too-distant future. From the (Whedonville) Firefly thread:

BTTF is high on my list of 1/6 scale heads I'd like to do, so we'll have to see about pursuing that after Firefly.... It's fun for me to have these side projects going, even if I can't spend much time on them due to work. It'd be a great challenge to try and sculpt Marty and Doc.

Trev

:joy

That guy does fantastic work. Would love to see what he might come up with. I actually kind of want those Firefly heads now that I'm seeing them.

So the next question--do they have likeness rights? If not, how generic will Marty look? On the 6 inch figure, it probably won't matter much anyway, since the best you could hope for are the exaggerated, cartoony sculpts we got for the Ghostbusters even when likeness issues were not a concern. The attempts they made at realistic sculpts with the Dark Knight line were not great, IMO.

This press release appears to confirm the rumor.

https://www.licensemag.com/licensemag/Entertainment/Universal-Reels-In-More-Than-a-Dozen-Deals/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/691377

A number of merchandise deals have been secured by Universal Partnerships & Licensing for properties including Curious George, Fast & Furious and Despicable Me.

The latest partners include:

*Welly Die Casting for Back to the Future die-cast vehicles (worldwide)
*Mattel for Back to the Future action figures, accessories and toy vehicles (worldwide)

That is some great news....It only took 25 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back