Hot Toys – MMS257 – Back to the Future: 1/6th scale Marty McFly Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They should've just reused the head from the part 2 figure or used it as a base for a new part 1 head. It actually looks like MJF. Hopefully they reissue that figure down the line as well.

Curious to see more photos of the sculpt, but until now I still think the BTTF 2 has the better likeness.

Always wanted a Einie, it is the only piece of this set that interests me (for now...)

That's our speculation anyway. I don't know that it's proven fact - is there a list of Hot Toy's currently held licenses anywhere?
Not a list of licences(Or indeed, in any way related to BTTF), but i saw a YT vid recently where a Disney exec was talking about how much they value HT and their relationship, and that they had just signed a deal with HT so that they(HT) would instantly be able to make any collectables under the Disney marketing umbrella, and that deal was a perpetual one. I'm guessing it's a rarefied deal that few companies are trusted with.

Not a list of licences(Or indeed, in any way related to BTTF), but i saw a YT vid recently where a Disney exec was talking about how much they value HT and their relationship, and that they had just signed a deal with HT so that they(HT) would instantly be able to make any collectables under the Disney marketing umbrella, and that deal was a perpetual one. I'm guessing it's a rarefied deal that few companies are trusted with.

Do you have a link? Thanks!

If they have the license for those they can’t just sit on them.
They would have to produce something to keep the license active.

I mean not necessarily? We literally have no idea what their licensing agreements say. They haven't done Terminator cosbabys but that's an easy way for them to put something out under the Hot Toys banner if a property needed a release.

If what Life_m2000 said is the case maybe with Terminator constantly changing studios it gives Hot Toys an out where they have no obligation to make anything at all, hence why that license is dormant. I dunno.

I wish they would give the shoes a Nike knockoff logo like Neca did with their figure. It's better than just a white shoe. It just doesn't look good without a red line on the side.

I wish they would give the shoes a Nike knockoff logo like Neca did with their figure. It's better than just a white shoe. It just doesn't look good without a red line on the side.
Yeah that was a problem with the 2 Marty figures that HT released. Sure HT had the BTTF licences and the image rights to MJF but that did not cover the licence to use the Nike Swoosh, Pepsi Logo or Mattel on the Hoverboard, JVC on the camcorder and a few other brand names I cant remember right now.
Fortunately Bad Mother Customs made a complete decal set for the Marty figs, so you could make the accessories look more movie accurate.

It seems like it’s rare that action figure companies get the rights to brands for things like clothing/shoe. Not sure why it’s such a problem.

Like I get it that they’d have to make a deal with Nike or whoever, and so they’d probably get a cut too. I wouldn’t think it would be that hard to negotiate, but maybe companies want that want some crazy amount.

I didn’t think Marty’s 2015 shoes looked so bad. I agree though that his 1985 Nike Bruins without the logo look weird though.

It seems like it’s rare that action figure companies get the rights to brands for things like clothing/shoe. Not sure why it’s such a problem.

Like I get it that they’d have to make a deal with Nike or whoever, and so they’d probably get a cut too. I wouldn’t think it would be that hard to negotiate, but maybe companies want that want some crazy amount.

I didn’t think Marty’s 2015 shoes looked so bad. I agree though that his 1985 Nike Bruins without the logo look weird though.

I can definitely see it as being something more trouble than it's worth. They may want a cut per unit or something else and will just add to the overall cost, or added approval time that'll just be a pain. They also probably know the people that actually care about the logos will just pay extra for add-ons and decals and the rest won't care. Doesn't seem like they've done it lately anyway outside of I think John Wick's guns appear to have the actual gun brands on them.

Each company is going to want a cut of the revenue, so if the studio itself gets 10%, and let's be optimistic and say that since they're a smaller portion of the figure, Nike gets 5%, and JVC gets 5%. Now you've just raised the price 10%.

That $225 Marty is now $250. If this new Marty really is about $300, now you're paying $330 just because it has the logos on it.

And that's if companies agree to take a lower-than-standard royalty rate.

Back