Mattel DC Classic Movieverse 4" line shown at NYCC!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeesh, these look terrible across the board. Can't say I'm surprised, though.

Nice Shepard Smith head sculpt Mattel :lol

_57-5.jpg
LOL That guy would have made a great Max Lord.

Oh man that Keaton sucks! Here I was thinking of getting it for a birthday present. Probably would be insulting.

Do you know if Mattel's unlimited line is over? It would be nice to get a TDKReturns Joker :)

I don't quite know, I've read an article that said that Batman Unlimited got cancelled, but I read another that said it wasn't cancelled but it would work on a pre-order type deal, no longer with retailers, I'm not sure I understood.

It's a bummer, we probably won't see more figures of that line, I wanted a TDKR Joker, a Robin and a Superman SO BAD! :gah:

Well even the prototype Keaton face looked pretty bad....but the factory took bad and made it sooo much worse.

Masked Batman looks all right though.

Yeah but still, look at this. :lol

Going from these,

Screenshot2014-05-10at63800PM.png
Screenshot2014-05-10at63757PM.png

To this (and up charging the MSRP from $9.99 to $15.00),

_57-2.jpg

_57-3.jpg

Is pretty bad. I mean, it's not like black, yellow, gold and flesh paints are the most complex applications for the factories. Just look at all that slop. Then the excess plastic on Batman's ears vs. the prototype is downright horrendous.

Wonder if I will even find these on the shelves. The first wave(Arkham) are clogging the shelves at every store, they are just too expensive. And now thess will be even more? **** Mattel.

Man, the protos looks excellent in comparison. :lol Look at those massive jowls and ugly fat bat ears in the cowled Batman. :lol

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't quite know, I've read an article that said that Batman Unlimited got cancelled, but I read another that said it wasn't cancelled but it would work on a pre-order type deal, no longer with retailers, I'm not sure I understood.

It's a bummer, we probably won't see more figures of that line, I wanted a TDKR Joker, a Robin and a Superman SO BAD! :gah:

I guess they didn't sell well :dunno I only got the TDKR Batman and the Golden age Joker from the legacy line, before they changed the name of the line to unlimited, which it was a mistake to change the name, IMO.

Original prototypes were instant buy for me. These final pictures of them are now a maybe if they go on sale. I might only pick up a Batman to display with my 89 hot wheels 1:18 batmobile. These figures should be in scale with that batmobile right?

Nah, look at the seats in the cockpit. WAY too small. These are more like GI Joes. About an inch and a half too big too look right with the HW 1/18th Batmobile.

Looks like those morons at Mattel have done worse than just ruined the sculpts....they've assembled the stupid figures wrong!

Look at the arms on these samples from ebay....the metal part of the gauntlet that's supposed to be on the outside of the forearm (you know, to deflect swords and stuff) is on the INSIDE. Doesn't look like way to fix it either.

Sure hope they're not all like that.

bats.jpg

I was underewhelmed as a child with the official 1989 Micheal Keaton Batman figure by Toy Biz. It just didn't "play" well. The soft, crappy soap like plastic really hurt. The one head was kinda Keaton-esgue, but the "big head" version sucked. Still, a lot of the costume details were there and it was better than nothing. I hated that they got the movie symbol wrong and the oversized spear gun blew.

And a year later, Kenner threw their hat in with slightly tweaked Super Powers sculpts from 1984. Close but no cigar. Better head scupts but lacking in costume detail. Too many leftover Super Powers elements and not enough movie details. I wanted an accurate movie figure, damn it. And I wouldn't get one until 2012 from Hot Toys. But that's a high end "doll" not a toy.

So I hoped this was finally it. Poseable, durable, accurate movie sculpting. A "toy", not a collectible.....BUT, in a word...."no." What an atrocious abomination. The 25 year old Kenner head sculpts blow these outta the water even with no paint apps for eyes.

Wonder if we can glue the vintage heads on to the new bodies.

Better yet, Mattel could get their collective heads out of their asses and give us the ultimate 6 inch version we've all wanted since the summer of 1989.

Til then....guess we can only dream of what could have been.

I'm still a damn sucker. Gonna get Batman at least. I owe that to my inner 11 year old. He's nowhere near perfect but there's still a nostaliga factor.

The unmasked one needs to be killed with fire.

25 years. Twenty-five YEARS since Kenner put out the Dark Knight Collection. Just think of all the truly wonderful and innovative advances we've seen in toy making technology in that quarter of a century. I have toys on my shelf I never even dreamed could EXIST!!! So what in the name of all that's holy is Mattel's excuse for THIS???

This is just shameful. Seriously....I know they're just toys, but when your BUSINESS and your livelihood is TOYS like the designers and executives at Mattel, they should hang their heads in shame. This is an INSULT.

Shame on everyone involved with this half-assed effort. Half a ss is too much credit. This is just beyond lazy. NO pride in workmanship. A low day indeed for our little hobby.

2u90j0k.jpg

Yeah, they dun goofed.

Shadow Wing Batman is still my favorite. It was an all new sculpt (no Super Powers base) and had the accurate torso armor and gauntlets to boot. 24 years old and it still looks better than that wonky POS above.

image.jpg
image.jpg

It is a little odd that a 25 year old figure has more detail and more of a look of Michael Keaton (unmasked) than the new one.

Dies the new figure come with his spear gun?

as my friend said, the new Keaton looks like something out of Robot Chicken. those claymation eyes...

Back