Mattel DC Classic Movieverse 4" line shown at NYCC!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I don't get is Mattel's Chinese factories. How does that much detail get swept away? How does the head and ears get that warped? Even the paint apps. The paint apps are relatively simple, but they still messed it up.

They went from a good, detailed digital scan, to dull, crappy plastic in no time. Just look at the original head, or better yet, the initial scan,

mattel-dc-103.jpg

So Mattel actually paid for Keaton's likeness rights to turn out this turd that looks nothing like him? Mattel needs to give up trying to make 4" figures. They have never been able to cut it at this scale.

Well, even though the new ones look nothing like the prototypes and the un-masked head looks like it came from hell... The new bodies and masked head do look a lot better than the old Kenner ones, without a question, still, I was expecting a LOT more considering ever since I've got a ton of 3"3/4 Star Wars figures that sometimes wow me with intricate sculpt and paint details.... something's wrong when even Hasbro can do better than Mattel....

I dream about ToyBiz coming back to life and start making DC figures like they did with Marvel....

So Mattel actually paid for Keaton's likeness rights to turn out this turd that looks nothing like him? Mattel needs to give up trying to make 4" figures. They have never been able to cut it at this scale.

Just 4'' inch figures? Mattel needs to stop making figures, period. Let DC Collectibles and Neca do a better job. Almost everything Mattel makes turns to S***.

Just 4'' inch figures? Mattel needs to stop making figures, period. Let DC Collectibles and Neca do a better job. Almost everything Mattel makes turns to S***.

I agree. They are the laziest company out there in terms of re-use, they put the lowest amount of effort they can into everything they make and will overprice everything because they think they can get away with it. Matty collector is one of the biggest abominations going and their ridiculously priced subscriptions are shameful - show me the value in a MOTUC fig or even worse, the DC sub stuff. I really do hate that company, especially as I think they have egos even bigger than Randy Falk and they feel everything they make should be worshipped even though it's crap.

I'm not sure if this goes here or somewhere else but Mattel SDCC exclusive is the Arkham Knight Batmobile. I'm surprised they didn't want to do an 89 batmobile to go with their current 89 figure. The figure that comes with the Arkham Knight Batmobile isn't even the arkham knight suit, its the Arkham city one.

I'm guessing it will eventually be available to retail sometime later this year? I don't know how SDCC exclusives work with Mattel. It would be weird not to have the vehicle for regular customers.

I'm not sure if this goes here or somewhere else but Mattel SDCC exclusive is the Arkham Knight Batmobile. I'm surprised they didn't want to do an 89 batmobile to go with their current 89 figure. The figure that comes with the Arkham Knight Batmobile isn't even the arkham knight suit, its the Arkham city one.

I'm guessing it will eventually be available to retail sometime later this year? I don't know how SDCC exclusives work with Mattel. It would be weird not to have the vehicle for regular customers.

Nope they usually just stay exclusive to the Con. Now the cynic in me thinks this was probably earmarked for retail but stores didn't want it or the line is on it's way out so they've jacked up the price and made it an exclusive. They did this last year with the New 52 Shazam fig after Dc Unlimited tanked at retail

I just got a standard '89 Batman in the mail. My initial impression is that he is better in hand than in pictures. The ears are still way too big, but the head itself looks pretty decent from the side (where the thickness of the ears is hidden). Still not great... but better than I expected.

I will throw a full review up this weekend hopefully. :)

Sallah

I just got a standard '89 Batman in the mail. My initial impression is that he is better in hand than in pictures. The ears are still way too big, but the head itself looks pretty decent from the side (where the thickness of the ears is hidden). Still not great... but better than I expected.

I will throw a full review up this weekend hopefully. :)

Sallah

I'm definitely looking forward to your review! Do you happen to have a 1:18 Hot wheels 89 Batmobile that you could do a quick comparison shot. I was originally going to pose this figure next to that batmobile, it might be a little off scale but I won't mind if its not too noticeable.

What I don't get is Mattel's Chinese factories. How does that much detail get swept away? How does the head and ears get that warped? Even the paint apps. The paint apps are relatively simple, but they still messed it up.

They went from a good, detailed digital scan, to dull, crappy plastic in no time. Just look at the original head, or better yet, the initial scan,

mattel-dc-103.jpg

That's actually great.

Gotta see these figures before deciding anything. I won't order them sight unseen, but I'll casually look for them.

Come on Sallah!!! More pics of the 4 incher!! I serously think you and I are the only ones that give a crap about this guy, but I've wanted it from day one!

Hell.....I'm so ashamed to admit it....but I'm paying $25 for it cause I live in Japan! It was either get it from toysapiens for $25 and free shipping...or a place like BBTS for 10 bucks plus 15 shipping. Screwed either way....but that's how much I love 1989 Batman!!!

(PS....saw the post on your blog about gluing/repainting your kid's broken Batman statue.....dude....you are a wicked-awesome father. For real...that's almost got me a little choked up man. Cheers.)

Yeah, that was a nice little story. I was surprised how nice the statue holder looked in black and gold too.

I'm definitely looking forward to your review! Do you happen to have a 1:18 Hot wheels 89 Batmobile that you could do a quick comparison shot. I was originally going to pose this figure next to that batmobile, it might be a little off scale but I won't mind if its not too noticeable.

The Hot Wheels 1:18 looks too small next to him... but the Kenner Dark Knight Collection looks great!

Come on Sallah!!! More pics of the 4 incher!! I serously think you and I are the only ones that give a crap about this guy, but I've wanted it from day one!

Hell.....I'm so ashamed to admit it....but I'm paying $25 for it cause I live in Japan! It was either get it from toysapiens for $25 and free shipping...or a place like BBTS for 10 bucks plus 15 shipping. Screwed either way....but that's how much I love 1989 Batman!!!

(PS....saw the post on your blog about gluing/repainting your kid's broken Batman statue.....dude....you are a wicked-awesome father. For real...that's almost got me a little choked up man. Cheers.)

Yeah, that was a nice little story. I was surprised how nice the statue holder looked in black and gold too.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Glad you liked it... :)

...and the review is now up!

Head on over for over 50 pics and our video review of him- Mattel DC Multiverse 1989 Batman 4" Figure Review

Spoiler warning... I really like this little guy, despite his flaws. :)

Sallah

Well, I'm sold. Great review. I love the shots of the figure in the Batcave (obviously). :lol

I mean, even with all my complaints, I was going to buy Batman anyway (because hey, it's a Keaton Batman), but the review and pictures make it enticing than it was (though, I gotta say, your sample looks much better than the ones I'm seeing on ebay, especially in the face paint apps department). I'm definitely going to display this guy next to one of my extra TDKC Batmobiles, it seems to fit it really, really well. Also, I'm surprised by that cape. I thought it was going to be stiff and not really pliable, but I'm impressed that you managed to get the behind the shoulders look. Good job.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to finding this now (not for $15-$16 though). I don't think I'll be able to be convinced by that unmasked variant though, the eyes on that one killed it.

I think we may have given this figure too much hate for what it really is, I'm starting to come around and kinda like it now, plus it looks really good next to the batmobile.

Well, I'm sold. Great review. I love the shots of the figure in the Batcave (obviously). :lol

I mean, even with all my complaints, I was going to buy Batman anyway (because hey, it's a Keaton Batman), but the review and pictures make it enticing than it was (though, I gotta say, your sample looks much better than the ones I'm seeing on ebay, especially in the face paint apps department). I'm definitely going to display this guy next to one of my extra TDKC Batmobiles, it seems to fit it really, really well. Also, I'm surprised by that cape. I thought it was going to be stiff and not really pliable, but I'm impressed that you managed to get the behind the shoulders look. Good job.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to finding this now (not for $15-$16 though). I don't think I'll be able to be convinced by that unmasked variant though, the eyes on that one killed it.

Glad to hear it dude! It really is much more enjoyable in hand than I expected from the pics online... And he works great with the old Kenner stuff (which we I know we share a love of).

I think we may have given this figure too much hate for what it really is, I'm starting to come around and kinda like it now, plus it looks really good next to the batmobile.

Agreed. Like I said in the review, sometimes it is okay for a toy to just be a toy... As collectors of Hot Toys and such, I think we sometimes expect a little too much out of a $10 mass market toy (I know I am completely guilty of this). That isn't an excuse for Mattel and the like to just put forth garbage... But I think we sometimes let it get in the way of being able to enjoy some of these things for what they are- Like we did when we were kids.

Sallah

Back