Mattel 89 Batman and 1978 Superman figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look fine... maybe if the package is good looking i'll buy them.
penguin looks great

Not too bad really. What do their final products end up looking like?

Prototype,

Perfect_MM_Prototype_9.jpg

Final,

IMG_7596.JPG

Prototype,

Perfect_MM_Prototype.jpg

Final,

movie_masters_joker_13.jpg

Mattel doesn't have a good track record with 4" DC figures so far. I think every line they have launched has failed miserably or consisted of dumbed down movie figures resembling happy meal toys.

Sad to hear and see that their final versions do not live up to the prototypes. I will still keep an eye on the Batman and Superman stuff but buying them will all depend on seeing in hand pictures.

And that was six inch scale. I can only imagine how bad the final figures will be at cake topper sizes.

Actually I would really like to get an updated Bob figure out of this line. Max Schrek would be sweet too.

It's interesting to see everytime Mattel releases a toy line involving Batman Universe, the Penguin gets the best sculpt. I feel that way for DCUC, Batman66 and now the movie 4" figure.

These prototypes look decent, if they are priced around $9 I might get them. Anywhere more than $10 is being greedy.
I hope Mattel will add more articulation to these figures. The Penguin definitely needs more joints and that Christopher Reeve Superman figure has the articulation of a SuperPowers figures. That's like in the 80s.

oh im defiantly getting the burton batman figures, I wonder how they will fit in with the kenner line. they might be a bit shorter, I think the kenner lines were like 5 inches. im defiantly getting these for sure.

now I have to wonder, why would they make batman returns batman but only 1989 batman? wheres jack joker? where is jim carrey riddler even? and why is there no Returns batman to go with the returns villians? why is there zod and superman but no ursa and nod? things like this confuse me.

Hot Toys is the only company to pony up the cash for Nicholson's likeness. In fact, according to them, they had to meet up with him for his approval. They mentioned in their engrish how it wasn't a small feat and then bragged about how they were the only ones that obtained it.

NECA said it was too much for them when they were asked about Nicholson, so that's obviously where Mattel is at as well. Look at how cheap and profit oriented Mattel is with their other lines like Ghostbusters, BTTF and DC with their lame "you need to support our products with preordering even though we're showing you drawings printed out on cardboard", they'd never be able to get Nicholson, let alone set up a meeting with him.

So don't count on anyone but Hot Toys producing Joker figures with Nicholson's likeness. His likeness for collectibles is practically theirs, they obviously paid a good bit for it which is why they're constantly hinting at more versions after each one is revealed and advertised (Regular and Mime so far).

Spot on about Mattel. They're a proud faceless corp. The only thing they know about collectibles deals with Barbie & Hot Wheels. All else is purely a profit center.

Even then their Hot wheels are pretty terrible collectibles. My entertainment earth order was canceled by the manufacturer for the series 7 1:50 Batmobiles that has the 1989 Batmobile in it. Luckily I still have a preorder up on BBTS but I'm just waiting for the email to come where they cancel my order.

Also the hot wheels 1:18 elite brand doesn't seem worth it to me. I got the 1989 batmobile for about 50 shipped which was reasonable but then I saw the Batpod and Batman Forever batmobile selling for 150+ retail which makes no sense.

And is it just me, or did Kenner produce a FAR superior Micheal Keaton headsculpt on their figure almost 25 years ago?

And that was the mass-produced piece! Look how soft and lazy the Mattel prototype looks in comparison...and toys only LOSE details when they go into production! Does not bode well.

Wonder if the vintage head can be popped on that new body...

Back