Mattel DC Classic Movieverse 4" line shown at NYCC!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda bugs me that they decided to sell 2 separate figures for Batman, instead of giving you 2 heads with one figure.

That's the 7" and below figure market for y'all!

Gotta have variations, can't make anything all-inclusive.

i think the Nolan films banked too much on the post 9/11 terrorism stuff and it just IMO makes it look very dated, and that goes with many films post 2001. years from now, i just don't see those films having much of a shelf life but i can see the original batmans still being enjoyed years from now because of there timelessness and comic book styling's.

Heh. Not just anyone could refer to that ridiculous Prince music montage as "timeless". Whatever timelessness Burton was aiming for, he cratered with that particular choice. And Robert Wuhl.

I like Burton's Batman -- but "timeless" it ain't. It is as dated as any of the Reeve Superman movies. That damn music montage really destroys the entire effect.

SnakeDoc

I'd say Gotham and the world that Batman and the Joker inhabit in the film is timeless. It isn't the 80s, but it isn't the 30s or 40s either. That whole Metropolis and Nosferatu influence with the German Expressionist lighting (particularly of Batman) mixed with 30s gangsters and fedoras can certainly make it seem timeless. Even Elfman's soundtrack and Batman himself help establish that feel.

But yeah, the Prince bits and 80s icons like Kim Basinger certainly kill that off that notion. It ain't timeless.

All the Batman films are contemporary in my opinion. Batman survives because he changes with the times. He's just like Bond, they're all of the era they're born out of.

Heh. Not just anyone could refer to that ridiculous Prince music montage as "timeless". Whatever timelessness Burton was aiming for, he cratered with that particular choice. And Robert Wuhl.

I like Burton's Batman -- but "timeless" it ain't. It is as dated as any of the Reeve Superman movies. That damn music montage really destroys the entire effect.

SnakeDoc

Everything will look dated years from now, there is no avoiding it. But the prince music is the only thing in the entire movie that dates it in some way. The sequel nailed a more timeless feel much better because there was less outside influence from the studio. but from a story pov, the prince music fits the joker so well that I don't really see it as a problem.

i think the Nolan films banked too much on the post 9/11 terrorism stuff and it just IMO makes it look very dated, and that goes with many films post 2001. years from now, i just don't see those films having much of a shelf life but i can see the original batmans still being enjoyed years from now because of there timelessness and comic book styling's.
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Terrorism is something that's happened before and after 9/11 and no matter how much no one wants it to will continue happening. As such i don't see these films aging badly. I don't really think the Nolan films went too hard on that aspect they just seem that way in a sense because the villains (mainly Joker) are a little more grounded so we could see that as something that could happen in real life. Any super villain is pretty much a terrorist though. Besides like others have mentioned everything will be aged at some point in time it's just a matter of how badly a film references certain events from the time it was made or how stylized to the time it was made that really dates certain films. In that sense I think the films are going to age well to be honest.

The figures in this line aren't bad looking but too small for me. Will be cool seeing them on shelves though.

Everything will look dated years from now, there is no avoiding it. But the prince music is the only thing in the entire movie that dates it in some way. The sequel nailed a more timeless feel much better because there was less outside influence from the studio. but from a story pov, the prince music fits the joker so well that I don't really see it as a problem.

:goodpost::clap

Sallah

I really don't feel like the Burton Batman movies are any bit dated, at all, they do feel timeless, and the Nolan movies might get a little dated because of the very specific time setting, very modern, at some point it will start aging, but it will have many timeless elements, enough to put them on the same shelf with the Burton movies, 2 very different representations.

I hope you guys aren't just ragging on Prince in general.

I get where you're coming from in the context of his music in the film dating it - but yeah.

The man is an icon.

I still love the album. It is my most played album in my iTunes.
Every time I watch the blu ray, I have to watch the Batdance music video!
Still my favorite live action Bats movie. Just something about it, and I totally recall be caught up in all the hype back in the day.
The figure set here is one that I just couldn't bring myself to buying now though.

Prince being dated is always a funny criticism, considering the man is still around, putting out albums and touring.

Prince is NEVER dated.

I don't think that either of the Burton movies are dated. They used practical effects instead of special effects at the time which helps. The '89 movie is just gritty!

You can tell in 89 that they used miniatures. The scene that comes to mind is when Batman blows up the chemical factory and Joker taunts him from the helicopter. They use a toy helicopter for a few seconds. I never noticed it before but I still love the movie.

have they announced a release date for this line?

Also I love the use of practical effects in both the original supermans and batmans. you may be able to spot minatures and stuff today, but I still think that looks 1000 times more convincing then CGI cities, cars, etc. I always love when they use real sets, minatures etc. instead of everything being CGI like it is today. its like Hollywood people got lazy and decided to make everything CGI. I think of what jorel said to superman in STM : "you will be called for endlessly, even for things which people can do themselves". my Lord, this can be said about CGI today. they are using it for EVERYTHING, even for things which can be done practically. today movies move WAY too fast to the point where you start getting a image overload. I just recently saw "man of steel", and I really couldn't get into it, for various reasons but one of which was special effects/cgi overload. my brain couldn't keep up, every scene something was going on and it was too much like a videogame with loads upon loads of CG shots and a ridiculous amount of zany special effects that made me almost have a seizure, not to mention that super annoying "shaky cam". that really NEEDS to go away. then me and my GF watched the original Superman the movie, and we both had to admit we loved it a lot more.

Has Mattel officially confirmed that a Jack Nicholson Joker is NOT going to happen? They managed to get approval for Bill Murray & Ghostbusters so I was hopeful they would make some special arrangement to do Jack and considering his character sported several looks thru one movie, they have at least six different variant figures with him alone.

Any speculation on a variant Selina Kyle, unmasked Catwoman?

I'm also hopeful we see Batwing/battle-damaged '89 Batman and Returns masked & unmasked Batman.

Beyond those I have little hope of seeing Joker Goons or anyone from the Red Triangle Circus gang .... As much as I'd love to see them.

And there should be no reason the '89 Batmobile can't be done considering we are dealing with a much smaller scale now.

Just some thoughts ....

Basicly would be an Hot Wheels 1:18 with out the diecast...

Finally found a preorder for the first wave here in Japan.

I was on the fence about Penguin but decided I really didn't want him. He's no good without a Returns-specific Batman, so he'd just end up in my closet anyway. I don't wanna buy stuff just cause it's there...I only want to buy stuff I REALLY want!

Now I really want the 89 Batman. Of course, like everyone on the planet, I'd have preferred a 6 inch figure, but until that happens, I'll have to make due. I'm excited about the idea of a poseable movie-accurate Batman that I can actually handle and pose, unlike the HT figure.

But being Japan, the preorder was $25!! For a figure that should only cost $10 at the most. Oh well. That's what I get for choosing to live over here.

Another drawback? Says it won't be out til July! Supposed to be what...May at the very latest in the States?

Hm. Maybe after Mattell has our money for these, they'll go ahead and make a 6 inch version like we want. Hey Matty, you listening? I am paying $25 for a 4 inch figure....think of what you could charge me for a 6 inch!!

Man, looks like not even that great Penguin managed to survive the China Factory mass production/Final product stage. Happens everytime.

Screenshot2014-02-16at75827PM.png

Back