Kyle Reese - NECA

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The uzi is awkward on the Hot Toys one aswell I think. Aswell as the extension thing at the back,that 90degree handle and no hand sculpt appropriate for holding it upright. Its always aiming down slightly unless you angle the wrist upwards unnaturally. I think the NECA figure has the same problem.

Poseability isn't great on the Tech noir and BD Tech Noir figures anyway, not much range of motion at the elbows but they went with aesthetics instead which I can respect.

Overall between the old McFarlane figures and NECA's ones we've got a great range at this scale, really almost everything I could have dreamed about when I was a child lamenting the crappy made-up Kenner figures!

By the way theres also this thread which is in the statues section still for some reason -

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80157

Really? That's even more of a problem, then since - if I'm not mistaken - Hot Toys produces those extremely costly statues. I'm only half surprised, though, I don't think Hot Toys is always irreproachable in spite of the hair-pulling price of their products.

I agree with you, they favored aesthetics over poseability on the Terminator line in general and, in the end, it's not a bad thing at all, so much so that I wasn't even bothered by the lack of articulation. My Tech Noir T800 is displayed sideways, with his gun pointed at an imaginary Sarah Connor, head slighty downards, like in the movie :p. My Police Shoutout T800 is brandishing his shotgun towards and blasting his way through the imaginary cops :p. Imagination has a great role in those figures, too, I guess.

Funny you should mention McFarlane because it would have popped up at one point or another in the conversation - I also think that they nailed Arnie nigh perfectly - he looks just the way he looked in T3, so that McFarlane figures still hold up pretty well today. Not to mention the one when the T800 holds the coffin and brandishes his gigantic machinegun: lack of articulation notwithstanding, it is as great as ever, I really think it conveys the epicness of this scene dead on. T3 may have been an inferior movie, but boy was this scene fabulous.

I still have the McFarlane T3s, decent sculpts although I find the shoulders on the standard T-850 a bit lopsided and wierd looking. You're right the one with the coffin captures a very memorable Terminator image even if T3 is a bit crap. I also had in mind the Movie Maniacs 4 T-800 - to this day one of my most cherished figures especially now with a NECA steel mill BD head to replace the old majorly disfigured non-likeness head. I actually butchered a spare NECA body for its neck joint which fit perfectly into the McFarlane body. That way I could put the NECA head permanently on with full articulation rather than just bluetacking it on or something. This was the first Terminator figure I got since the old Kenner figures and it holds up just fine with NECAs output.

Well, that's clever, and original to say the least ! Part of owning figures is also showcasing creativity, be it in the way to pose them, or by tinkering with the material proper. I've come accross some amazing fan-made figures which sometimes looked miles better than the original model they were based off of.

I hope Neca reproduce the Series 1.
Tech noir have a good Sculpt, but a bad Paint.
The Quality is differnt from Wave to Wave.

To the Police Shootour Version, the Haires are to short and the Sunglasses not glossy. The Face have not zhe typical Schwarzenegger Expression you seen for Example on the new Dutch.

Randy said to me on twitter in response to me saying:

"we think it's there, wait & judge in person, appreciate the comments and currently revising Hicks face to try & improve further"

I originally said: ""Take this constructively, but I think Reese's face needs a second-look & some minor improvement. I'm just not seeing Biehn there ""

I hope the critic helps to Neca make a better product.

Reese ist not perfect, not very good, not good.

They can do better.

Judging by that its not going to be revised. Well..thats that. I'm still buying him, who knows maybe I'll see what they see when I have him - though as Crazyp says the factory paint may ruin any chance of that.

FROM NECA

This one has already gotten a huge and overwhelmingly positive response. Randy also revealed a figure of actor Michael Biehn as Dwayne Hicks from Aliens, but Kyle Reese was just too perfect not to show. That face is just so dead on! Expect much more on this one to come.

By whem a positive response?

It does not look like Biehn.
I do not understand.

Likeness honestly doesn't look so horrible to my eyes. I don't have huge expectations with NECA figures though, which some of you clearly do.

Well their sculpts usually aren't the problem. Bearing in mind that they sculpt at a larger size than the figures ultimately end up being so I see no real reason why the sculpts shouldn't be held up to a high standard. Only Paint and QC usually trouble NECA. We generally assume they'll come up short on the last two, not sculpts though.

Last edited:
it seems neca and hot toys are taking more short cuts here lately, ht on predators, neca on terminator.sideshow is useing more of their own artist touch on everything they do.
i'm about ready to quit collecting all together.

They could at least get the colour of the jacket right, why is it such a lighter green?
reminds me of:

$(KGrHqIOKi!E3)BkPHU5BOFeVoo-ww~~_3.JPG

do not know if it is a coincidence.

Likeness honestly doesn't look so horrible to my eyes. I don't have huge expectations with NECA figures though, which some of you clearly do.

Yeah, but they NAILED the Hudson likeness...so they should have been able to get the Reese likeness right.

Back