J.J. Abrams' Star Trek (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: J.J. Abrams' Star Trek

You actually like Voyage Home? I see that one as the SW Holiday Special of Star Trek.

I'm rewatching all of them now(skipping IV), I think I might have missed one.

The Voyage Home is often cited as a favorite of the series by fans, just as Piece of the Action is one of the favorite TOS episodes. I'd put it 2nd or 3rd too.

Who reckons imitation is the best policy for the new actors. Personally I don't want new takes on the classic characters - I want them to be believable younger versions - having the same personalities, mannerisms and way of talking - just younger faces.

I totally agree... I just don't want to see SNL type imitations.

I liked the way Ewan Mc Gregor handled the young Obi Wan. I hope the actor portraying Kirk does the same.

There isn't much I know about Chris Pine save that Lohan movie he was in. I'm very happy about Quinto playing Spock but has anyone else seen anything with Pine in it?

Yeah. Sometimes its a fine line between imitation and parody but I hope they took the risk. Because who wants Kirk, spock and bones talking, walking and acting completely different to their older incarnations. Unless its some mirror universe but I thought they were using time travel again - so really it should be 'past not alternate'

Don't know anything about Pine either. He looks good as kirk but who knows. He could end up being the weak link that turns this into smallville in space.

I'm sorry, but has anyone noticed they changed Scotty's name from Montgomery Scott to Maximillian Scott? WTF!

I'm sorry, but has anyone noticed they changed Scotty's name from Montgomery Scott to Maximillian Scott? WTF!

Huh? :confused: I sure hope not! I can see making changes to the ships, and the bridge, and uniforms...but not the names! I hope Abrams left them alone.

The Voyage Home is excellent. It keeps the optimistic spirit of the series, has a positive message, a great smart script, and wonderful comedy. I find it hard to dislike the film.

"Double dumbass on you!" :D

The Voyage Home is excellent. It keeps the optimistic spirit of the series, has a positive message, a great smart script, and wonderful comedy. I find it hard to dislike the film.

"Double dumbass on you!" :D

Except it has a horrible script, terrible acting, worse visual effects than the movies before it. And in general it was completely unneeded because it didn't further the Star Trek story at all. They should have left off the Star Trek part and called it Save the Whales because that's all it's about and that sucks.

I suggest you use a quick contest of "Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock" to decide. :D

I suggest you use a quick contest of "Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock" to decide. :D

Rock!!!

picture2xf7.png
picture1cu9.png

no wonder the special effects looked good on the trailer.
I.L.M ( Industrial Light and Magic ) is doing them.

I thought so, I did a quick search and didn't find anything. But it shows, it's exactly the style of ILM.

Isn't it funny that Star Trek owes a lot of it's visual effects to the studio that did Star Wars? (and was created for Star Wars)

Voyage Home is a fun movie... but its a bit too much of an 80's movie to me; with the whole environmental message about saving whales. It doesn't have the same feel as the other films for that reason.

Kahn is easily my favorite, Undiscovered Country and Search for Spock are really good as well. Final Frontier is terrible and I'm fairly blah about the crossover and Next Gen movies.

I really prefer the TV shows... love TOS and Next Gen is fun, but kind of takes itself too seriously at times. The other series never did much for me, although I kind of liked Deep Space 9.

I really think playing Capt.Kirk is way way harder to pull off then Spock..plus all you Heroes(can't stand Heroes) fans are already loving Sylar..he visually looks alright to play spock and i think it is a easy role to play but, acting like William Shatner is a bit more tricky..i almost do not want to see a new actor acting like Shatner..that might add a little cheese to the movie..all that pausing he does between words lol.

I really think playing Capt.Kirk is way way harder to pull off then Spock..plus all you Heroes(can't stand Heroes) fans are already loving Sylar..he visually looks alright to play spock and i think it is a easy role to play but, acting like William Shatner is a bit more tricky..i almost do not want to see a new actor acting like Shatner..that might add a little cheese to the movie..all that pausing he does between words lol.

I... don'tknowwhat... you'retalkingabout! Captain... James... T... KIRK... would... NEVER... talklikethat!

Except it has a horrible script, terrible acting, worse visual effects than the movies before it. And in general it was completely unneeded because it didn't further the Star Trek story at all. They should have left off the Star Trek part and called it Save the Whales because that's all it's about and that sucks.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but you are in the EXTREME minority on this. The Voyage Home is regarded by most fans as one of the top three (or four) Trek films.

I saw Chris Pine in Bottle Shock and he was very good. It was a completely different character than Kirk though.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but you are in the EXTREME minority on this. The Voyage Home is regarded by most fans as one of the top three (or four) Trek films.

I completely agree with RoboDad on this. ST:V, Insurrection, and Nemesis are the worst of the lot. I can't even sit through Insurrection or Nemesis. Generations and ST:V I barely tolerate.

A note about the effects in Voyage Home, at one point the animatronic wales were so convincing, the producers had to answer to certain agencies about how they got soo close to real wales. Yes, maybe the government is just full of fools or maybe, just mayyybe the effects WERE that good.

Back