J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK but why did this particular time incursion create a splinter timeline where other Trek time travel plotlines have involved changes to the one linear timeline? And how would the characters themselves know? Sure Spock might decide it best if he stayed to help create a new Vulcan in this splinter timeline but how does he know that's what it is, as opposed to it having wiped out the original timeline that he came from?

OK but why did this particular time incursion create a splinter timeline where other Trek time travel plotlines have involved changes to the one linear timeline? And how would the characters themselves know? Sure Spock might decide it best if he stayed to help create a new Vulcan in this splinter timeline but how does he know that's what it is, as opposed to it having wiped out the original timeline that he came from?

Star Trek has had many instances of time travel, and I'm sure that at least 1 or 2 TNG episodes dealt with splinter timelines. Also, Spock is well-versed, and has much experience with time travel, so it's very possible he would have some idea what's going on.

Also, this Spock is very old. Making an effort to return home would surely require extraordinary effort, the kind he may not be willing to make anymore. Maybe he figured it's time he settled down, and this seemed as good of a place as any. Think about it. In the original timeline, many, if not all, of his friends are dead, or have moved on. Here, he has a chance to revisit his youth and provide meaningful guidance to the people he cares about.

Also, I don't think they should stick with the 'splinter timeline' idea at all. They should just write it off as a wrong guess by the main characters, in what little exposition covered it. They could easily say that it was an alternate universe all along without contradicting anything that has happened so far. The only people it would matter to would be the hardcore fans, but that's the kind of nod that hardcore Trek fans want, not Spock yelling KHHAAAAAN, or a white Khan, or a reversal of the warpcore death scene. Also, if it's an alternate universe, then a white Khan would actually somewhat make sense, and they could totally ignore whatever bits of Trek canon that supposedly happened before this point without crapping all over continuity.

Last edited:
V'Ger incident took place in 2271, the whale probe in 2286. This won't happen but let's not forget the Planet Killer (The Doomsday Machine) in 2266?

Not to be too technical but would the temporal shockwave spread that far out into space to affect the prime universe events?

Damn I am a Trekker now....:lol

All this is not really for long term- have a feeling third "JJ" Trek film will be the last .....it just hasn't been the box office powerhouse Paramount had hoped for despite JJ and big money spent- I think it is way too long between films....one every two years would be best- plus they don't have to have $180 million budgets or whatever these cost!
Trek will probably end up back on tv after the next film

True but even in the new timeline tangent shouldn't V'ger and the alien probe from Star Trek IV still be on the way? Surely they should not have been effected by the events of the 09 film. Whether new films should be based around those is a different matter (and no they shouldn't)
It was explained in the Star Trek: Nero comic that the V'ger probe was intercepted by Nero before he went after Prime Spock.
Memory-Alpha said:
V'Ger appears in the third issue of the comic book Star Trek: Nero, set during 2009's Star Trek. After escaping twenty-five years of imprisonment on Rura Penthe in the alternate reality he caused, Nero is taken by the Narada – itself an artificial intelligence due to its Borg-based modifications – to V'Ger, which Nero uses to calculate where and when Spock will arrive.

I'm betting they'll go with Klingons next, or possibly Borg or Q. Maybe even an appearance by Ferengi, Romulans, or Cardassians. I doubt they'll risk doing anything that isn't well-known already.

I guess if they were going with well-known tropes of the Original Series, we may even get lucky enough to see Gorn or Tholians.

The Abramsverse Gorn were the topic of the 2013 Star Trek Video game. The guy who designed the Gorn for the game is the same guy who designed the aliens for the new films. They look different now because of genetic engineering. There's video of the game's full story on Youtube if you're interested.
This is what they look like:
mq54.jpg

Memory-Alpha said:
The Gorn are the villains of the 2013 Star Trek game set before Star Trek Into Darkness, featuring fifteen varieties of male and female Gorn ranging in size, intelligence and color, designed by Neville Page. They are depicted as originating from another galaxy which they have conquered by the time they reach the Milky Way Galaxy via a wormhole created by a terraforming device on New Vulcan. The Gorn utilize a mind-controlling venom to turn enemies on each other, practise bio-enhancement, and like the film, McCoy mentions they are viviparous.

V'Ger incident took place in 2271, the whale probe in 2286. This won't happen but let's not forget the Planet Killer (The Doomsday Machine) in 2266?

Not to be too technical but would the temporal shockwave spread that far out into space to affect the prime universe events?

Damn I am a Trekker now....:lol

There's no telling that there was a temporal shockwave of any kind. Basically, in Star Trek, time travel works however it best suits the plot, although they do seem to usually follow a loose set of guidelines. If you're looking for post-destruction of Romulus Prime Universe events (non-canon, anyway), you could check out Star Trek Online, the MMO (if you're not already well aware of it, anyway).

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a tour de force of some of the best storyline elements of the Original Series, just pack as much into one movie as possible. That might be interesting. Maybe tie it all together by Q/Trelane or something. It would actually fit well with the supposed 5 year journey storyline that we'll be picking up from in Trek 3.

All this is not really for long term- have a feeling third "JJ" Trek film will be the last .....it just hasn't been the box office powerhouse Paramount had hoped for despite JJ and big money spent- I think it is way too long between films....one every two years would be best- plus they don't have to have $180 million budgets or whatever these cost!
Trek will probably end up back on tv after the next film

I actually wouldn't mind if Trek just rests for a while. It's had quite a run on TV as it is, especially in the 90's, which I grew up during, so my hunger for Trek on TV is mostly satiated. Now, an actual, good, epic, Star Trek AAA video game, I would pay good money for. Make that so.

Also, a new CGI/animated series with the new cast might be something CBS is willing to take a marketing risk on. I think overall, the general public is pretty burned out with live-action Trek on TV, especially, when so much of it is still in syndication.

Those are cool, but nothing beats the original Gorn:

StarTrek-Gorn.jpg

:lecture

He's retro, but still very intimidating, not to mention iconic.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I did, definitely wasn't a fan of this, especially the Gorn reference. But overall it was such a short mention (other than the tribble which played a major part in the movie) I still enjoyed the movie overall.

There were tribbles in the first movie as well.

There's no telling that there was a temporal shockwave of any kind. Basically, in Star Trek, time travel works however it best suits the plot, although they do seem to usually follow a loose set of guidelines. If you're looking for post-destruction of Romulus Prime Universe events (non-canon, anyway), you could check out Star Trek Online, the MMO (if you're not already well aware of it, anyway).

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a tour de force of some of the best storyline elements of the Original Series, just pack as much into one movie as possible. That might be interesting. Maybe tie it all together by Q/Trelane or something. It would actually fit well with the supposed 5 year journey storyline that we'll be picking up from in Trek 3.

I actually wouldn't mind if Trek just rests for a while. It's had quite a run on TV as it is, especially in the 90's, which I grew up during, so my hunger for Trek on TV is mostly satiated. Now, an actual, good, epic, Star Trek AAA video game, I would pay good money for. Make that so.

Also, a new CGI/animated series with the new cast might be something CBS is willing to take a marketing risk on. I think overall, the general public is pretty burned out with live-action Trek on TV, especially, when so much of it is still in syndication.

Those are cool, but nothing beats the original Gorn:

StarTrek-Gorn.jpg

:lecture

He's retro, but still very intimidating, not to mention iconic.

Well I'm happy to say I am a Trek novice. And yeah I love classic Gorn, especially his laugh...

:)

The Star Trek films were great no matter what the discrepancies . End of transmission

Pretty funny trailer.
The CGI Gorn they used on that Enterprise episode was
pretty cool along with that Constitution class starship that the Tholians stole.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK7NZ9IDtTc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSSDqXGCREw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Last edited:

:lol:lol:lol That was great, thanks for posting.

Pretty funny trailer.
The CGI Gorn they used on that Enterprise episode was
pretty cool along with that Constitution class starship that the Tholians stole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK7NZ9IDtTc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSSDqXGCREw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I didn't watch much of Enterprise. I had no idea there was ever a Gorn and a Constitution class ship in it with the retro sets and uniforms. Seeing that has made me curious.

I really don't think the look was the biggest problem. If Benicio had the role, but played it like Cumberbun did, it still would have been very weird. The key is someone should have at least tried to mimic the behavior of Khan--the way he carried himself and interacted with others. I think Cumberstach could have done that if he was directed to, and it would have been easier to accept. But they went for something completely different.

It never works when you shoehorn a character into an existing plot. Reading the writer's explanation reminds now again, why Transformers movies sucked (well the 1st was tolerable), and why Prometheus sucked (well, it was not completely bad, but the Spaights script was better). And with the latest Orci temper-tantrum...I'm a writer and you the audience should be lucky enough to watch the stuff I write...I'm not surprised that they thought they could do anything and it be awesome. I agreed with others that said it made more sense to (a) have John Harrison just be a brand new villain; or (b) have Cumbertwit play Joachim and lead up to a 3rd film that had an epic space battle with Khan. I think what a lot of us 30 somethings that grew up with WOK though ID sorely lacked was a epic ship to ship battle. Not the quick 5 min. battle. The character of Khan was just too big to shoehorn into an already existing storyline. It minimized his character and also there were no real costs in this film other than no-name red-shirts and Admiral Pike. I mean Kirk dies and is resurrected in 5 min. (Jesus even took longer.) And as others have said, this young series DID NOT earn the ending it got. You can't have two guys who had a lifetime of friendship as in the classic be compared to two guys that rarely had signs of friendship at all and have the same emotional impact of the death scene. They should have gone original, which would have satisfied all the newbie Trek fans (as they could care less about Khan or even know who the flip Khan was) and the old fans like me would have been fine with something original in the new timeline.

Of anyone on the ship who would have grieved at Kirk's death and been believable it would be Bones. Kirk and Bones's friendship was well established in the first film. Also at this point I like Karl Urban better than most of the cast and he was underused so it bugs me.

"Hey Bones, the ship's in a lot of danger. Whatcha doin'?"
"I think f---ing with dead tribbles is the best use of my time."

oh for god's sake. who gives a **** about Khan? Cumberbatch is a great actor.
It's not like they cast Ben Affleck or something.

Yeah, Bones is probably the best thing about those movies IMO, and he is underused. But it's essentially the Kirk and Spock show at this point, so I guess that's what we should expect. Kirk also had a lot of interaction with Scotty, which is another character I really like in the films, and they seem to have a much better genuine rapport than does Kirk with Spock. Even though Scotty's decision to stay behind in this film was a plot device, I still liked that he was made to be a character of real conviction to his principles, and to have more insight than Kirk, despite the fact that's he's a secondary character with minimal screen time.

Back