J.J. Abrams' Star Trek (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: J.J. Abrams' Star Trek

This looks so bad...

Kirk can drive? That's interesting since he had a pretty rough time doing it in "A Piece of the Action". JJ Abrams and crew clearly don't give a ^^^^ about their source material. Star Trek has always prided itself on continuity and now it's running over everything we know.

Funny I read this same quote over on RPF......differently worded but same gist...

For all we know, Nimoy might not be the Spock we've know from the old series. Darklord Dave suggested that Nimoy's Spock (in this film) may be from an alternate universe or something.

For all intents and purposes, most people are seeing this flick as a reboot. As of now, we don't know what role Nimoy's Spock will fulfill, so character histories and details are up in the air (including Kirk's ability to drive).

My wife swears she saw a glimpse of Nimoy with Quinto on screen. Haven't gone back to check but if that's the case Nimoy would obviously not be Spock but maybe his father? Or something along those lines?

In his brief few seconds of the trailer, Karl Urban looked perfect as Bones. Just wanted to say that.

I really liked Simon Pegg as Scotty as well. I have a lot of faith in this film to finally make me a Trek fan.

This is a pretty awesome trailer. I'm excited--and I'm a Star Wars fan.

But just to try and not go completely Trekkie--I will say that Deep Space 9 sucked hardcore.

I think they're gonna pull it off this time. (making Trek relevant again, that is)

I'm also glad Abrams is totally on board with "making optimism cool again." As long as it stays true to the classic roots (which it looks like it does) and keeps the message of hope for the future at the forefront, this thing is gonna be incredible!

I'm just still really chapped that they moved the release date to next year... :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

I...Karl Urban looked perfect as Bones. Just wanted to say that.

Totally.

picture1xg8.png

:rock :rock :rock

Yeah, I really like Karl Urban. Simon Pegg, and Zachary Quinto too! :D

I'm excited to see the movie. It was so cool seeing the trailer on the big screen in front of Quantum Of Solace.

I know nothing about Start Trek!! Never Liked it either!!!

BUT HOLY SHAT!!!! SAW THE TRAILER AND ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS OMG!!!! I AM PUMPED FOR THIS!!! CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!

They played the trailer tonight during "Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles". Totally awesome!:D

This looks so bad...

Kirk can drive? That's interesting since he had a pretty rough time doing it in "A Piece of the Action". JJ Abrams and crew clearly don't give a ^^^^ about their source material. Star Trek has always prided itself on continuity and now it's running over everything we know.

Actually driving a 1930's era car is much different than a 50's/60's car (from a car site):

By the thirties the industry had pretty much settled on the three speed manual transmission with the shifter on the floor. The H pattern was used with reverse in the upper left leg of the H, first lower left, neutral on the cross bar, second in the upper right, and high gear on the lower right. In the early thirties most transmissions needed to be double clutched to shift. That was stopping the gear shift motion in neutral between shifts and quickly letting the clutch out and then back in again to match gear speed and then complete the shift.

By the 50's cars had synchros and shifting was much simpler (as I recall Kirk's biggest issue was in shifting) so if the car was 1930's authentic with no synchros and reverse where first would be found in later cars, I don't fault some operational difficulties.

Also of note, the Iotians based their society on a book on Chicago gangs of the era. I don't think it's reasonable to believe that such a book would have included auto blueprints and operational tips. They would have merely been working from pictures of cars, so the controls could be even further different than an Earth car of the 30's.

All in all, I'm inclined to not be bothered by any perceived continuity issue here.

OH MY GOD!!! The minutia has arrived already. The Trailer looked great... Don't nit pick.

Just be happy we get to see a new adventure with the original crew, with all new actors.

My interest in Trek doesn't extend much further than occasionally saying, "Are you ready for it Khan? Here it comes....fire!" (only when appropriate, of course).
Even so, this trailer got me excited! :rock

Funnily enough, I was talking to a friend yesterday about how I don't want to be near any forums when this film comes out because all of the Trekkie's will nit-pick this film to death and go on and on about how these little insignificant things are different to the original series or the previous films or series. Heh. :D

[quote="Christopher Pike]Your father was the captain of a starship for 12 minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother’s. Including yours. I dare you to do better.[/quote]

:rock :rock :rock

I don't get the jab at the "last 5 movies." The only terrible one was Nemesis, and in fact, First Contact is one of the best Trek Movies ever made. #1 in my mind.

I think it's plain now WHY Kirk is not in yellow, because he isn't Captain yet. Pike is. My only nit is that the Enterprise should be built in space, NOT on Earth. Hell even the NX was built in space :lol

I know Star Trek is a thing the real fans can call "their own" but, does anyone think this movie is going to have the same effect Transformers did with the mainstream public?..bringing in a slew of new fans that had no idea/care for the series/genre?...i think it would be a good and bad thing.

Huh....so Nimoy is Spock...time travel in the first outing....this should be interesting to see if its well received by the general populus. From the trailer's showing there is a lot of buzz around it and I can't wait for it. I think it'll bring in a slew of new fans and probably new merchandising around it as well.

Back