J.J. Abrams' Star Trek (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: J.J. Abrams' Star Trek

:rock :rock :rock

I don't get the jab at the "last 5 movies." The only terrible one was Nemesis, and in fact, First Contact is one of the best Trek Movies ever made. #1 in my mind.

If you think the only terrible one out of the last bunch was Nemesis, you must have missed Insurrection....Eeeyuck...

I do agree with you on First Contact. It's sort of the "Wrath of Khan" type high point for the Next Gen cast.

As much as I provided a counter arguement to the car driving nitpicking, I don't really care about that stuff. I'll take this film on it's own merits, and if it shuffles the deck a little bit regarding Star Trek canon, that's quite alright with me as long as it's a good movie.

you must have missed Insurrection....Eeeyuck...

:lol I was waiting for that! :lol

In fact, that's how I felt about it when I first saw it. However, years later, I've come to realize that there is a pretty decent Trek story in Insurrection, it's just not "epic" enough to be a Trek movie, imo.

My biggest gripe with the film when it first came out was that there was no "insurrection." They should've titled it "Insubordination" :lol

I think they're gonna pull it off this time. (making Trek relevant again, that is)

I'm also glad Abrams is totally on board with "making optimism cool again." As long as it stays true to the classic roots (which it looks like it does) and keeps the message of hope for the future at the forefront, this thing is gonna be incredible!

I'm just still really chapped that they moved the release date to next year... :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

:lecture AMEN, Brother! :lecture

This movie looks so damn cool that all I can say is...

:bananaWOOOOOHOOOOO!!!:banana

:lol I was waiting for that! :lol

In fact, that's how I felt about it when I first saw it. However, years later, I've come to realize that there is a pretty decent Trek story in Insurrection, it's just not "epic" enough to be a Trek movie, imo.

My biggest gripe with the film when it first came out was that there was no "insurrection." They should've titled it "Insubordination" :lol

Okay, I'll give you that, as a regular Next Gen episode, Insurrection would have been passable, but it was a waste of 60 million (or whatever the budget was) to try and turn a mediocre story like that into a big screen production.

I HATED Insurrection... I can re-watch Nemesis (if I'm forced to or just wanting to watch the Enterprise-E impale itself on the scimitar) but I cannot/will not re-watch insurrection.
Twice was two too many times.
Insurrection was worse than ST:V

My dad dragged me to Nemisis...some dude fell asleep during the movie and snored. I laughed. Best thing about that whole movie.

I HATED Insurrection... I can re-watch Nemesis (if I'm forced to or just wanting to watch the Enterprise-E impale itself on the scimitar) but I cannot/will not re-watch insurrection.

I watched Nemesis for a 2nd time recently and it's even worse than I remembered. But I thought Insurrection was okay. ST: V is worse than Nemesis though.

Just saw the trailer during Fringe. Had to run it back 3 times! Looks very cool - and they included the perfect Simon Pegg/Scotty line "I love this ship!" said with incredible glee. I'm very psyched for next May.

(ack)

The part with kid Kirk is awful. Just terrible. Heck, all the Kirk stuff looks bad... Chris Pine seems like total Fail to me.

Quinto will rock the house, though... as will some of the supporting cast (Urban, Pegg, et al).

In all, though, I sense that Abrams just tried too hard. Even the trailer is painfully self-aware.

The guy on G4 said this trailer is fantastic. Not much of a ST fan but I have seen all the movies and for the most part enjoyed them. I will have to give this a look. I forgot last night.

I completely agree, Insurrection is far worse, and Nemesis is close behind.

I'd rate them from best to worse:
  1. Wrath Of Kahn
  2. The Voyage Home
  3. The Motion Picture
  4. First Contact
  5. Undiscovered Country
  6. Star Trek Generations
  7. The Search for Spock
  8. The Final Frontier
  9. Nemesis
  10. Insurrection
I have Fringe recorded yet haven't watched it yet, I think I'll skip through it just to see the trailer. :D

I enjoy Trek, but I must confess that it's mostly confined to the movies. I've seen a several episodes of The Original Series, which I enjoyed very much. But outside that, I could never get into the various other shows for one reason or another.

I'd rate the films as follows from best to worst:

Wrath Of Khan
Undiscovered Country
The Voyage Home
First Contact
The Motion Picture
The Search for Spock
Generations
The Final Frontier
Nemesis
Insurrection

Insurrection, in my opinion, is the only one of the films that I consider to be truly lackluster. Even Final Frontier, often labeled as the worst, is a-okay in my book. It's the one film that at least dares to do something different, even if it doesn't succeed all the time.

Even Final Frontier, often labeled as the worst, is a-okay in my book. It's the one film that at least dares to do something different, even if it doesn't succeed all the time.

Or at all? :lol

I still have a T-shirt from back in the day produced by a disgruntled fan with a logo that says "Star Trek V: Bill and Harve's Excellent Adventure" (referring to writer/director Bill Shatner and Producer Harve Bennett)

Saw the trailer during the Sarah Connor Chronicles... it was f'n badass looking! This is one of the few trailers that really got me excited about seeing the movie.

I've been avoiding this thread as I don't want any spoilers, but the trailer looked awesome! And Sylar makes a cool looking Spock :rock

I enjoy Trek, but I must confess that it's mostly confined to the movies. I've seen a several episodes of The Original Series, which I enjoyed very much. But outside that, I could never get into the various other shows for one reason or another.

I'd rate the films as follows from best to worst:

Wrath Of Khan
Undiscovered Country
The Voyage Home
First Contact
The Motion Picture
The Search for Spock
Generations
The Final Frontier
Nemesis
Insurrection

Insurrection, in my opinion, is the only one of the films that I consider to be truly lackluster. Even Final Frontier, often labeled as the worst, is a-okay in my book. It's the one film that at least dares to do something different, even if it doesn't succeed all the time.

You actually like Voyage Home? I see that one as the SW Holiday Special of Star Trek.

I'm rewatching all of them now(skipping IV), I think I might have missed one.

Gotta say Kahn, Spock and Voyage are high points of the OS flicks. First Contact is the high for the NG crew.

You actually like Voyage Home? I see that one as the SW Holiday Special of Star Trek.

I'm rewatching all of them now(skipping IV), I think I might have missed one.

"The Voyage Home" was very much in keeping with TOS many of the episodes were comedic in nature. Take a look at "Piece of the Action" and "The Trouble with Tribbles"

Who reckons imitation is the best policy for the new actors. Personally I don't want new takes on the classic characters - I want them to be believable younger versions - having the same personalities, mannerisms and way of talking - just younger faces.

Back