Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that was the idea. They were painted a bit brighter to compensate for the shadows. Although I don't think I'm off by that much.

IMG_20190508_081639.jpg

I'm having a hard time deciding my next HT figure, it's either this or ESB Deluxe Fett. I have a promo code from SSC, on Fett w/free shipping the discount is super good, but I can wait on Fett and there's multiple versions (ROTJ, ESB non deluxe, Animated which I love). I want the Deluxe Emperor more since there's really only ONE ROTJ Palpatine but the price isn't as good. Do those who own it, or both, find it worth the price, especially for the deluxe w/the throne? I mean, the throne seems pretty clutch IMO.

Just do it and get the Emperor. Like you said, you can pick up Fett any time since there's been so many versions.

I always thought that The Emperor was completely bald under his cloak hood like Nosferatu until I seen Revenge of the Sith. I think he'd look better completely bald.

I finished repainting my Emperor yesterday.

There were a couple of things I did to make him more screen accurate (at least to my eyes):
  • increase the size of the irises
  • increase the size of the pupils
  • give him a hint of a lazy eye (in most close up shots, you can notice his right lens didn't move)
  • give more color depth to the skin folds with some reds and blues
  • brighten up/whiten highlights of the skin
  • make teeth more yellow
  • add some red around the lips to give contrast
  • decrease the size of the red rings around the eyes, but make the red itself brighter, so the eyes pop more

I'm really happy with the outcome, his passive smile is now more of his signature creepy/cocky smile IMO. I really started loving the sculpt - in fact, he's becoming one of my favorite figures in my collection.
I'm still working on new hands for him that are not as oversized, so no full body shots yet. I'm hoping to finish those next weekend.

I hope you guys enjoy the shots.

IMG_8767_2_small.jpg

IMG_8763_2_small.jpg

IMG_8781_2_small.jpg

I couldn't get the color balance exactly right between these two before and after shots, but I think it's a close enough approximation to show the difference:
IMG_8772_3_comparison.jpg

And finally, here the reference shots I used in case anybody is interested:

Palpatine_collage3.jpg

Great job. As I have said the sculpt is a sleeper that grows on you, very subtle figure with a black hood so it is kinda hidden away, but it is one of their very top SW sculpts in my opinion.

Back