Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished repainting my Emperor yesterday.

There were a couple of things I did to make him more screen accurate (at least to my eyes):
  • increase the size of the irises
  • increase the size of the pupils
  • give him a hint of a lazy eye (in most close up shots, you can notice his right lens didn't move)
  • give more color depth to the skin folds with some reds and blues
  • brighten up/whiten highlights of the skin
  • make teeth more yellow
  • add some red around the lips to give contrast
  • decrease the size of the red rings around the eyes, but make the red itself brighter, so the eyes pop more

I'm really happy with the outcome, his passive smile is now more of his signature creepy/cocky smile IMO. I really started loving the sculpt - in fact, he's becoming one of my favorite figures in my collection.
I'm still working on new hands for him that are not as oversized, so no full body shots yet. I'm hoping to finish those next weekend.

I hope you guys enjoy the shots.

View attachment 455934

View attachment 455935

View attachment 455936

I couldn't get the color balance exactly right between these two before and after shots, but I think it's a close enough approximation to show the difference:
View attachment 455937

And finally, here the reference shots I used in case anybody is interested:

View attachment 455938

This is the way it should of been done

There were a couple of things I did to make him more screen accurate (at least to my eyes):
  • give him a hint of a lazy eye (in most close up shots, you can notice his right lens didn't move)
  • make teeth more yellow
  • decrease the size of the red rings around the eyes, but make the red itself brighter, so the eyes pop more

I'm really happy with the outcome, his passive smile is now more of his signature creepy/cocky smile IMO. I really started loving the sculpt - in fact, he's becoming one of my favorite figures in my collection.
I'm still working on new hands for him that are not as oversized, so no full body shots yet. I'm hoping to finish those next weekend.

View attachment 455934

View attachment 455935

View attachment 455936

I couldn't get the color balance exactly right between these two before and after shots, but I think it's a close enough approximation to show the difference:
View attachment 455937

View attachment 455938

Hmm...was wondering how Hot Toys's ROTS Sidious going to beat this one.

000c74a2a83ca236d8d44c208eba73dd.jpg

Work in progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_5886.jpg

Finally got around to taking pictures of some of my figures under a macro lens and I have to say I keep falling in love with his ugly mug.

• make teeth more yellow

View attachment 455934

View attachment 455935

View attachment 455936

View attachment 455937

View attachment 455938

Absolutely fantastic!!

• make teeth more yellow

View attachment 455934

View attachment 455935

View attachment 455936

View attachment 455937

View attachment 455938
That looks great!..tempted to have a go myself..
000c74a2a83ca236d8d44c208eba73dd.jpg

Work in progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice work!

View attachment 456836

Finally got around to taking pictures of some of my figures under a macro lens and I have to say I keep falling in love with his ugly mug.
Fantastic shot:clap

I broke done and got him. It's Palpatine for frigging sake! The phantom menace...the Sith's instrument of revenge, the ultimate evil in the galaxy!

How could I keep resisting that?

A couple of shots, right out of (the very large) box...no extensive futzing, just the way he is.

"As he has foreseen it"

HT-EMPEROR-003.jpg

As usual, having the figure right in front of you makes all of the difference. He is going to require a lot of futzing to achieve the best look, but as many folks in here have already demonstrated with some great shots and video reviews in here, it can be done. The fabrics are very good, the wire on the robe hem and sleeve cuffs help immensely.

Ah, that portrait.

HT-EMPEROR-004.jpg

It's damned good actually. From the translucent looking skin and force-instilled distortions to his features, it's very well-rendered. Just that limited expression gets in the way of declaring perfection. One additional portrait ( a snarling one) of equal quality would have gone a long way in extending the display options.
I haven't tried it yet, but I think the Sith lightning is going to look a little goofy with that grin.

I see a lot of potential here with him for posing and display. I haven't even pulled the throne out of the tray yet so...back with more thoughts on that later.

Initial feeling: Glad I got it...he'll be a good replacement in my Imperial display for the Sideshow one.

^ Nice pics! :clap

I wasn't originally going to get him either but like you say "It's Palpatine for frigging sake! The phantom menace...the Sith's instrument of revenge, the ultimate evil in the galaxy"! so yeah, how can you not? :lol I was at my local Forbidden Planet on Monday and they had the regular version for a decent price, so I caved in and got him - he is now in my Star Wars detolf next to Tarkin! :)

Great figure - glad to have him in the collection. :yess:

Back