1/6 Hot Toys - Marvel's What If? - Sakaarian Iron Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not something I’d be interested in, but I’m sure there are buyers for this given Iron Man’s popularity. I prefer more realistic portraits and outfits for high end figures. For example while I was never interested in Captain Carter and the Hydra stomper from WI S1, I would pick up a Captain Carter from Dr. Strange MoM. HT could have also produced a realistic Hydra Stomper with skinny Steve Rogers and created a deluxe version that could have depicted the transformation chamber from CA TFA.

Figure is cancelled

IMG_3103.jpeg

I've been buying Hot Toy since 2010 and I am not remembering them ever canceling a figure that was actually announced.. Was that in an email sent to those who pre-ordered? Or was it posted on one of their socials?

I'm shocked people aren't talking more about this. Sure, the 2 figures they cancelled make sense to have been low sellers, and I didn't have either one ordered, but this is still a major first. For years you could feel comfortable in the knowledge that once the official preview image set came up, you *would* get the figure eventually no matter what, even if it got delayed a bunch. But not anymore I guess? Actually makes me nervous, since I sometimes wait to order multiple figures from the same property until I know that they're indeed releasing enough of a "set" to make a display together. Would be a pain to do that, only to see some cancelled months later, and be left with an incomplete display. I do try to only order things that I like individually and could be happy even seeing it on a shelf by itself, but still. Ouch.

Out of their mind with the price for this, 14 inches and no die-cast lmao. What the **** are they smoking?

Who is buying this crap?
Nobody now.

Definitely wasn’t for me, but I certainly don’t like the precedent set that even having a figure announced and putting in a preorder doesn’t mean you’ll ever actually get that figure.

Hopefully these are just one-off mistakes and not signs of future cancellations.

Both surprising and least surprising thing I've seen. This figure's thread didn't even reach past 2 pages of discussion from the initial teaser of being shown at the convention to months after it's been officially announced. With the official announcement being met with everyone ******** on it. Usually joke about certain figures only getting 5-10 people preordering it but this most likely did only get that many.

All this makes me think about is the amount of money and time Hot Toys wasted on this + Young Barry when that time/money could have gone into 2 figures that people actually wanted. Continues to baffle me with how bizarre Hot Toys operates.

I think it's because of a down economy and the diminished interest in the recent MCU movies and shows. And Flash was pretty bad. If not for Keaton, it would have been garbage. And while there may or may not be more cancellations, I definitely think there will be fewer fringe characters made moving forward. Characters like Kate from Hawkeye, Eternals, etc.....

First time I recall Hot Toys cancelling a figure already up for pre-order. I feel like this gives insight as to why so many things are limited now.

This is pretty funny actually, I think this fig was done to go with season 1 releases then got pushed, they tried timing season 2 hype but failed. Also, go look at sideshow and see how many hot toys they're eating, especially Marvel, year after year those are massive losses, so likely had sideshow unwilling to eat this guy and barry

whether i like the toy or not, not a fan of anything being canceled. Especially with 2-3 year wait time. Its just another reason to no longer preorder anything.

whether i like the toy or not, not a fan of anything being canceled. Especially with 2-3 year wait time. Its just another reason to no longer preorder anything.
Yeah, I don't like this either (btw I had zero interest in either cancelled figure), however I think these cancellations indicate that if you want something you probably should preorder, or this sort of thing is more likely to happen.

I say that because these two figures were likely cancelled because of lack of interest indicated by low pre-order numbers.

Last edited:
Actually I think the message is the exact opposite. If you want something, support it by preordering. This probably got canceled because of low preorders. Stopping preordering will likely only end up with more items canceled. Scary that things might not be guaranteed to be released anymore but hopefully it’s still an extremely rare occurrence.

I do think this is a real one off. Low pre-orders are ultimately the main driving factor here, most likely, however I think it's with good reason? Consider the amount of manufacturing investment and tooling required for both of these. Basic metal molds for plastics cost thousands. The higher the fidelity or size, the more expensive they get. Both figures fit those bills one way or another. If the PO numbers can't even pay for the tooling, it's a lost cause out of the gate.

What I don’t get about “low preorders” is these hit Waitlist status… so you couldn’t even preorder if you wanted to after that. So… how does that work?

Back