Hot Toys - MMS 189 - SSC Ex The Avengers: Agent Phil Coulson (Specs and Pics)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS - The Avengers: Agent Phil Coulson

They've already made 8 figures, a ninth of a character that is so visually bland is just a waste. In five years whose gonna even recognise who this figure is supposed to be of.

At least HT is making figures from such a fine film as Sucker Punch. Those dolls will be eternally recognizeable.

@ Ramuettule

Others have posted the same thoughts on 'this guy in a suit' figure too, not just me.

At least HT is making figures from such a fine film as Sucker Punch. Those dolls will be eternally recognizeable.

At least they look cool :nana:

The Chitauri though are visually unique and will get sales based on look alone, Coulson won't as his look (which is the most imporant characteristic of a figure) just isn't worthy of a figure.

It's a nice bonus for the already serviced fans of this franchise, but a kick in the nuts for other lines without even the main character made at all for those fans (not just me)

_______

That'll be my last word on this figure, i'll leave this thread for said fans to enjoy

:wave :peace

Last edited:

Coulson still has a unique facial structure and interesting accessories. Like it or not he deserves a figure. It doesn't just boil down to the clothes whether someone deserves a figure or not. Every actor has a unique appearance. Seems like no one would have an issue with James Bond stuff or Golgo 13, but that's what they are too.

But the real problem here is that you just don't care. It doesn't matter what anyone says you'll just find a reason to spin it around and post the exact same complaint over and over again, ruining the fun of this thread for all of us here actually excited about him.

Take all this salt somewhere else. This is about Coulson and his greatness not about how salty you are that they are making him and all the worthy alternatives you guys think they should have made instead. By the way it doesn't work that way. If they did not make Coulson, they would make another Iron Man or Predator. He isn't taking anything away from First Class, Sucker Punch, or whatever other franchise you people care about.

Like it or not Avengers is going to help us all in the end. These recent Marvel films have really put Hot Toys on a tier even higher than before. Their production rates seem to be far increased as they can pump out more of each figure than ever before and they release more figures than ever before. The quality has shot up and their fanbase has increased too. This larger market has let them experiment with a lot of things. They are finally going for a complete lineup, one that is going to remain relevant for many years because of this. It is a step up for the company their skill is improving because they are testing it. When the storm passes then let them come back and make these other figures.

If they announce something you don't like, complain about it in the First Class thread since that's all it's good for.

Coulson still has a unique facial structure and interesting accessories. Like it or not he deserves a figure. It doesn't just boil down to the clothes whether someone deserves a figure or not. Every actor has a unique appearance. Seems like no one would have an issue with James Bond stuff or Golgo 13, but that's what they are too.

But the real problem here is that you just don't care. It doesn't matter what anyone says you'll just find a reason to spin it around and post the exact same complaint over and over again, ruining the fun of this thread for all of us here actually excited about him.

Take all this salt somewhere else. This is about Coulson and his greatness not about how salty you are that they are making him and all the worthy alternatives you guys think they should have made instead. By the way it doesn't work that way. If they did not make Coulson, they would make another Iron Man or Predator. He isn't taking anything away from First Class, Sucker Punch, or whatever other franchise you people care about.

Like it or not Avengers is going to help us all in the end. These recent Marvel films have really put Hot Toys on a tier even higher than before. Their production rates seem to be far increased as they can pump out more of each figure than ever before and they release more figures than ever before. The quality has shot up and their fanbase has increased too. This larger market has let them experiment with a lot of things. They are finally going for a complete lineup, one that is going to remain relevant for many years because of this. It is a step up for the company their skill is improving because they are testing it. When the storm passes then let them come back and make these other figures.

If they announce something you don't like, complain about it in the First Class thread since that's all it's good for.

Great point. Its not like they sat down and said, "We REALLY like to make a main character from a lesser property but let's just do Coulson instead." No, they sat down and simply said, "Okay let's make another Avenger, is it too early for a BD Cap? Probably, let's make someone new."

Has no bearing on this figure. People may love him as a character but as a figure it'll be very un-intersting on a shelf. The look is just very bland, nothing exciting other than the BFG to look at.

People don't buy Predator or Tron merchandise just because they like the characters, they buy them because they look unique and cool.

This won't.

Almost anyone will recognise Spider-Man as Spider-Man on a shelf in five years, same with Iron Man and and a Tron Lightcycle, i don't imagine people would immdiatley think of that guy who was in Avengers a few years back when they see this.

Hardcore fans will get him, but even that isn't assured as the price will be too high for some of those and tons of other figures coming makes some choose to skip.

Next to Noland this is the most niche character they've chosen.

The Chitauri at least looks visually interesting, so that'll get some sales based on its unique look alone. This is nice for hardcore completionist fans, but has no pulling power for any others.

You're 100% wrong. First of all, I was responding to your comment that no one would know who he was in 5 years. You're changing the subject by now talking about how exciting he'll "look on a shelf."

I think a lot of characters sell because of the actor, not just the super-hero "kewl" costumes. Look at MiB. Look at Commissioner Gordon. Kewl superhero costumes is one factor which helps a figure to sell, but it's not the only one. You say he'll look bland on a shelf. I don't know if that's so. If he has a stunning sculpt he'll look anything but. I have the MiB figures and I'll tell you they look a lot more interesting than the Spiderman figure who I have standing next to them. A lot of people buy these high end figures for the likenesses, not just because they're super-hero fans.

I can buy action figures in kewl costumes for about $10. I'm paying the extra money because these are high-level portraits of the actors.

Last edited:

Coulson was a big part of bringing the Avengers together through most of the films, and his death is what finally gets them to act like a team. I think he deserves a figure for that, he wasn't a lead character but he was one that the films needed to bring them together. I can't wait to own this "guy in a suit" and display him with The Avengers and villains.

Great point. Its not like they sat down and said, "We REALLY like to make a main character from a lesser property but let's just do Coulson instead." No, they sat down and simply said, "Okay let's make another Avenger, is it too early for a BD Cap? Probably, let's make someone new."

Actually it was more like,
"Hey guys, there's a ton of figures we hinted or announced that we haven't shown yet..."
"Screw them, let's milk The Avengers a bit more, these suckers will pay anything for these guys!"

They've already made 8 figures, a ninth of a character that is so visually bland is just a waste. In five years whose gonna even recognise who this figure is supposed to be of.

I will. :peace

I hope they make some figures from films you want so you can chill out for a bit and stop complaining everytime one isn't your choice. Talk about beating a dead horse. :slap

Don't tell me why I do or don't buy figures. I'll buy this guy because 1) I love the character 2) he'll fit in with the other avengers figures 3) he may just be a guy in a suit but I think he looks cool.

:goodpost: :exactly: :clap

I collect mostly because I want representations of the characters I like. If I started to buy everything I think looks cool, I'd be broke five mintutes from now :lol

Coulson was a big part of bringing the Avengers together through most of the films, and his death is what finally gets them to act like a team. I think he deserves a figure for that, he wasn't a lead character but he was one that the films needed to bring them together. I can't wait to own this "guy in a suit" and display him with The Avengers and villains.

Your sig shows how awesome all these are going to look together. What's that like...ten figures.:panic:

I'm hoping Hot Toys included a 1/6 scale baby bottle, cause you know, so many people need one.

BAZINGA! You win the thread.

Speaking of figures no one is going to remember 5 years from now, I am betting we can lump everyone from Prometheus in there, with the possible exception of the Engineer.

Now, HT is gonna make this stuff. But will it be hot 5 years from now...? Doubt it.

B

Speaking of figures no one is going to remember 5 years from now, I am betting we can lump everyone from Prometheus in there, with the possible exception of the Engineer.

Now, HT is gonna make this stuff. But will it be hot 5 years from now...? Doubt it.

You're dead wrong. Prometheus was pure brilliance, as time goes by more people will get it.

:woo Brought the sig/avi combo back for celebrating that we get this figure!

Courtesy of Greygoose! :hi5:

Now don't botch that headsculpt HT! :tap :lol

You're dead wrong. Prometheus was pure brilliance, as time goes by more people will get it.

Pfffffft, lol. You wish!

The Engineer was excellence in design. Everyone else is forgettable.

Everyone.

Its pretty bad when the most memorable person in a film doesnt even have dialog!

...And in other news, let us examine this picture from "X-Men First Class," in which most people seem to have on pretty normal clothing:

xmen-first-class.jpg

In five years, who would recognize this bunch on a shelf, eh?

Pfffffft, lol. You wish!

The Engineer was excellence in design. Everyone else is forgettable.

Everyone.

Its pretty bad when the most memorable person in a film doesnt even have dialog!

You're forgettable! :nana:

People will be watching and arguing about Prometheus for years, and then a decade or so from now everyone will just accept that it's one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever made, just like happened with Alien.

...And in other news, let us examine this picture from "X-Men First Class," in which most people seem to have on pretty normal clothing:

xmen-first-class.jpg

I don't even remember who's who now....

xmen-first-class.jpg

:lecture I can name the blue chick.

Back