Hot Toys - Hong Kong Figure Club interview session with Howard Chan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think interviews like this is pretty much useless as they are no longer a guarantee that they will follow through with what they say.

It looks like this is just a mock up thats use to generate buzz and interest for the HKFC or whoever is doing the interview.

Could be he means the estate has not given approval. I'm not trying to defend him or hot toys, but given the suits and legal issues that MJs estate went thru and all the fighting for control, the large debt and property liquidation, and the amount of court involment it's possible they where unable to get approval on the figure before the license expired.

I doubt they went and spent money on the license in the first place if they didn't intend to use it. But license rights are very very tricky. You can't just get the initial license and make whatever. Every product has to be individually approved, usually, and if the license has any change to parties then things get murky. Also they made the proto, so that costs the company money, and if they could make some money on it I am sure they would have.

Again, not trying to defend anyone or upset anyone. But I really doubt they made the proto just to mess with fans. I am sure they wanted to produce the figure.

How come they approved Bad and Beat-It so easily?
Something's not right here... besides, we've seen plenty of Smooth Criminal figures from other companies, so not sure what the issue here was...
But I'm pretty sure it had more to do with HT focusing almost only in Marvel, Preds and Bats than any other thing... the MJ figures sell very well on the secondary market, so not sure why they would let the license expire instead of renewing it and release more figures...

Yeah I think people are overreacting.
He is most likely using the term 'family' to mean the estate. Often they can mean the same thing.
In MJ's case his estate is controlled independently of the family.

I still think it's BS... :lol

How come they approved Bad and Beat-It so easily?
Something's not right here... besides, we've seen plenty of Smooth Criminal figures from other companies, so not sure what the issue here was...
But I'm pretty sure it had more to do with HT focusing almost only in Marvel, Preds and Bats than any other thing... the MJ figures sell very well on the secondary market, so not sure why they would let the license expire instead of renewing it and release more figures...

I still think it's BS... :lol

There could be a host of reasons why one was approved another was not. Was MJ alive for the earlier release, or was he alive and they got the approval before he passed? That could factor in. I know after he passed his estate was in court all the time with this family member or that family member fighting for control. Anytime a new suit is filed an injunction is usually put on any non essential business, so any approvals would be on hold till the court ruled. Also, once the estate is liquidated to cover any old debt or money owed often times any new merchandise is put on hold.

As for other companies issue of merchandise..that doesn't make an difference . Each license agreement is different. If they are licensed. Not every product is. I've seen a few 1/6 that are unlicensed. A lot of that happens. Like the art punisher(I think it was art, anyway it's not hot toys and not licensed). As for why they would let the license expire..it may not have been up to them. And if they couldn't get approval for the one they already made why spend the money to get the license? Just because things sell well on the secondary market has no impact on hot toys.

I see a lot of people act like they intentionally go with marvel out of spite or something. If they could make money on it they would. The fact that they spent money on a license means they wanted and intended to produce figures. License rights are not cheap. On top of that cost they paid to have the proto made. If they could have gotten it approved and released they would. But let's say they send it for approval and months past. They have to make money so they start with other projects. Then after months still no approval (maybe because the estate is in court or busy or whatever) and the license is coming up to expire in 6-12 months. By that time it's to late unless you renew. It takes 8-14 months from proto to release for most figures(from GI joe to he-man). Business wise it makes no sense to spend thousands on a license and due to whatever reason only be able to produce one figure. When u can spend around the same and make a bunch of figures (DC, predator, marvel, Star Wars) because the licensor moves approvals along.

Whats the point releasing BTTF figures if your not going to release the Delorean also? I mean the car is the star of the show. Stupid from ht's point of view. Why even release the car for promos next to the marty figure? Obviously and quite normally people are going to assume you are going to market the car also!! Then coming out with 'we may market the car'. Why do such a thing? I certainly won't be picking up any figures if the car is not coming out also.

Whats the point releasing back to the future figures if your not going to release the car? I mean the car is the star of the show. Stupid from ht's point of view. Why even release the car for promos next to the marty figure. Obviously and quite normally people are going to assume you are going to market the car also!! Then coming out with 'we may market the car'.

I'm assuming they're waiting to see what the sales are like from the figures before dipping into such an expensive item. Kind of makes sense.

I was hoping they might mention Lone Ranger. But I knew it would be a long shot.

I really hope the quick waitlist for the Marty Exclusive is a sign that this figure is selling well. I really would like some other characters from the movies. Especially Doc and Biff.

Whats the point releasing BTTF figures if your not going to release the Delorean also? I mean the car is the star of the show. Stupid from ht's point of view. Why even release the car for promos next to the marty figure? Obviously and quite normally people are going to assume you are going to market the car also!! Then coming out with 'we may market the car'. Why do such a thing? I certainly won't be picking up any figures if the car is not coming out also.

:lecture

Now that the ''Ooooohh, new, shiny'' of the Marty figure has had time to settle I can safely proclaim once again - ''all or nothing''.

I'm convinced these interviewers are given a set list of questions that they must ask and maybe a guideline for stuff that's off limits for any question of their own making.

The Qs are always a mixture of Iron Man and questions about a couple of previously announced licenses - never about anything new, never anything about possible new licenses Hot Toys are looking at, and certainly nothing about the ED-209 farce.

I'm convinced these interviewers are given a set list of questions that they must ask and maybe a guideline for stuff that's off limits for any question of their own making.

The Qs are always a mixture of Iron Man and questions about a couple of previously announced licenses - never about anything new, never anything about possible new licenses Hot Toys are looking at, and certainly nothing about the ED-209 farce.

no doubt about it......

There could be a host of reasons why one was approved another was not. Was MJ alive for the earlier release, or was he alive and they got the approval before he passed? That could factor in. I know after he passed his estate was in court all the time with this family member or that family member fighting for control. Anytime a new suit is filed an injunction is usually put on any non essential business, so any approvals would be on hold till the court ruled. Also, once the estate is liquidated to cover any old debt or money owed often times any new merchandise is put on hold.

Nope, the court proceedings were after the Doctor that killed him and between The Jacksons vs. AEG Live, there were never legal battles for the merchandising rights.
The only figures released or in the works before his passing were Billie Jean and Thriller. Bad and Beat-It were developed after his passing.

Since MJ died, there has been at least 3 other licensed Smooth Criminal figures:
figuartsmjsmoothcriminal-e1401786827676.jpg

FU2564lg.jpg

smooth_criminal_dform.jpg

As for other companies issue of merchandise..that doesn't make an difference . Each license agreement is different. If they are licensed. Not every product is. I've seen a few 1/6 that are unlicensed. A lot of that happens. Like the art punisher(I think it was art, anyway it's not hot toys and not licensed). As for why they would let the license expire..it may not have been up to them. And if they couldn't get approval for the one they already made why spend the money to get the license? Just because things sell well on the secondary market has no impact on hot toys.

Most MJ figures sold really well and are sold out everywhere, so HT made their money back. I am talking about licensed items here, not customs or knock offs.
My guess is that perhaps they didn't want to spend any resources to pursue the license any further... perhaps it went up in price... but saying the family didn't approve is pure BS. And that's what I've been saying all along... Blaming someone else, when it's obvious HT was at fault here is pathetic...

I see a lot of people act like they intentionally go with marvel out of spite or something. If they could make money on it they would. The fact that they spent money on a license means they wanted and intended to produce figures. License rights are not cheap. On top of that cost they paid to have the proto made. If they could have gotten it approved and released they would. But let's say they send it for approval and months past. They have to make money so they start with other projects. Then after months still no approval (maybe because the estate is in court or busy or whatever) and the license is coming up to expire in 6-12 months. By that time it's to late unless you renew. It takes 8-14 months from proto to release for most figures(from GI joe to he-man). Business wise it makes no sense to spend thousands on a license and due to whatever reason only be able to produce one figure. When u can spend around the same and make a bunch of figures (DC, predator, marvel, Star Wars) because the licensor moves approvals along.

HT has alienated a lot of costumers by focusing on just a 2-3 licenses and sending everything else to the back burner... I understand they are here to make money, but years ago it was great to see certain obscure characters or lines that nobody else would touch. But HT has long been in this for just the money, losing a lot of fans, and cheapening their product while increasing their prices.
They don't care at all about QC and solving existing issues and it shows.
BTW, in case you don't know they released a total of 4 Michael Jackson figures, so obviously they were selling.

What I am saying is that HT is blaming the family and that is BS as they have NO say in this matter... Is that too hard to understand? :dunno

why spend all that time to build a Delorean
and then not sell it?

I know right?...

So they shed light on the die cast Iron Man's broken arm, but nothing on ED-209? Huh?

The Delorean is now a maybe? Even after they ****ing tease the thing at two shows? What?

HT has alienated a lot of costumers by focusing on just a 2-3 licenses and sending everything else to the back burner... I understand they are here to make money, but years ago it was great to see certain obscure characters or lines that nobody else would touch. But HT has long been in this for just the money, losing a lot of fans, and cheapening their product while increasing their prices.
They don't care at all about QC and solving existing issues and it shows.

While HT has focused on it's bread winners primarily, they have mixed in some other figures like Captain Harlock, Tonto, Maleficient, etc so they haven't completely abandoned that concept.

Not sure that saying they don't care about their QC is accurate either, other than the ED how many other releases are having massive QC issues that are being totally ignored? :dunno

We got some major releases that mostly people begged for. I'm letting HT off the hook for now. :monkey3

Back