1/6 Hot Toys - The X-Men License - Interview with Chan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pretty much beating the dead horse by now but here's a bit of information on what happened with the license. It's not concrete but it pretty much points to what happened with Fox and Disney/Marvel. Disney/Marvel recently put out zero merchandise for First Class figures due to some arguing over the movie license. Seems this has affected Hot Toys and instead they were left to get the approval from the actor/actress directly.

I'm not up to speed on how this would even work, seeing how even with the approval of the actor/actress they would still be using their corresponding character from the X-Men license, which would also need approval.

------------

HKFC: 2012 Anicom Fair revealed Xmen Professor Xavier but since then there aren't any updates, care to share?

Howard: I believe most of you have seen the prototype and the movie licencor approved too. However, at a later stage the movie studio told us we would now need to acquire every actors head sculpts licensing approval by ourselves, hence the delay. The Xmen movie license is quite tedious, and as mentioned before, we need to talk to each actor. Some of them have given us the green light, so we are currently still in the planning stage of who to produce first.

Last edited:
Interesting if true. Could help explain why Minimates could happen while other figures didn't (Minimates don't require likeness rights to be obtained). But HT obviously obtained Jackman's approval in the past. Curious if he is being genuine re: the fact that they are in the planning stages or not. . .my guess is he doesn't really have ambitions of producing figures at this point.

dc2fd6da2c741a3b2f6ae5fcf700e06fafe43267ea271579118ef4292ffb25c6.jpg

Also meshes with DST's recent cancelled DoFP Marvel Select Mystique as Jennifer Lawrence declined to participate.

Not really worth the effort... they are better off just canceling it and moving on with bigger and better projects.

This news made my day, sort of.

They need to go after Michael Fassbender and James Mcavoy first to get people interested in building a collection around them, then go after Jackman’s Wolverine and Jennifer Lawrence’s Mystique.

Knowing Hot Toys though, they’ll probably make Havok or Toad first.

Last edited:
I'd think that most actors would love to have high end figures made of them. If for no other reason to stroke their own egos. But I think this is something the studio generally handles and just bundles it in with all the other merchandising where the actor's likeness appears. A few of them are picky about these things, but most are "whatever". Going directly to the actor (which I know from experience means through their greedy ass agents) is a tedious process, and this type of thing would be low on the radar screen because you're not talking a ton of money. But who knows, maybe HT is making progress.

The fact that they already have the green light from some of the actors makes me think we’ll definitely get at least two figures/characters. They might want to release them around X-Men Apocalypse to capitalize on the hype.

Either way, if we get at least two figures, I’ll be satisfied.

All they really need is Michael Fassbender and James Mcavoy, so we will probably get another Wolverine.

Gawdammit. Kinda wish he'd have just said they can't and won't happen. This is a shred of hope. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. Especially when we're talking about Hot Toys and their timeframes.

Considering what we've heard about Marvel not wanting to approve product for the Fox films - I'm not sure how this will play out.

Gawdammit. Kinda wish he'd have just said they can't and won't happen. This is a shred of hope. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. Especially when we're talking about Hot Toys and their timeframes.

:lol SO true!

But I admit it does give me some hope. And it seems Jackman is always game with his likeness for these figures. Hopefully it will mean a 70s Logan!

We already did--Wolverine, Wolverine, and Wolverine. I wouldn't expect anything else. . .except maybe another Wolverine of course.

Well, I meant from DOFP, and two other characters besides Wolverine. Mcavoy Professor X and Fassneto would be my grail figures, if done right.

Have faith Kara, I think we will see something from this line next year.

Back