Hot Toys - Hong Kong Figure Club interview session with Howard Chan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some people wanted the full interview so here it is. Not a lot of new information as usual aside from some minor details here and there.

- MJ Smooth Criminal is cancelled has stated a while back.
- Mark 42 Shoulder issue was fixed upon all the fuss about it on Facebook and Forums
- Pepper Potts is delayed due to other figures being in the works.
- Howard wants the sell the Delorean
- He knows most of the IM3 armors consist of parts from other armors so he'll be pushing out the ones that are unique such as Shotgun as exclusives and then works towards the armors that consist of parts from other armors.

Hong Kong Figure Club interview session with Howard Chan

HKFC: In regards to MJ Smooth Criminal, has it been cancelled?
Howard: Actually prototype was completed long ago, but MJ's family never approve it, besides that the license was expired hence we decided to cancel it.
HKFC: Lately the hottest issue Ironman Mark 42 shoulder problem, care to explain what's going on there?
Howard: As soon as we found out about the issue through forums and facebook, we have already looked into it. We found out that there was an error in assembling that part and already increase manpower to supervise it. We have resolved this issue hence there aren't too many broken shoulders.

HKFC: As you know Pepper Potts is one of ironman series most anticipated character, when will she be revealed?
Howard: Head sculpt was completed but due to projects in hand, we could not squeeze time to paint it. We hoped to present and announce Pepper in a different way; at the moment plans aren't too concrete and we didn't want to rush it hence will try to complete other projects before hopping back to Pepper.

HKFC: 2012 Anicom Fair revealed Xmen Professor Xavier but since then there aren't any updates, care to share?
Howard: I believed most of you have seen the prototype and the movie licencor approved too. However later stage the movie studio told us we need to acquire every actors' head sculpts licensing approval by ourselves, hence the delay. Xmen movie license is quite tedious, as mentioned we need to talk to each actors and some of them has given the green light, so we are still in planning stage who to produce first.

HKFC: Back to the Future's DeLorean has become one of the hottest topic this year's con, do you plan to produce it?
Howard: We were quite lucky as we are able to complete the prototype just in time for these comic con. Personally I want to produce but we shall decide later!

HKFC: One of the recent release 'Cloud' has been well praised by collectors; why hasn't the other main character 'Wind' been announced yet?
Howard: The original 'Cloud' head sculpt was approved long ago but the author Ma Weng Seng, however we find it not to satisfactory hence keep revising. Obviously we know collectors' feedback, so now most of you should be happy about 'Cloud'; as for 'Wind', sorry no plans yet.

HKFC: Are you planning to produce all Mark 42 armors from Ironman?
Howard: We all know that most of the armors are consisted of other armors part, won't diminish that we might produce all them; those more distinctive individual armors will be produced but mostly in exclusive manner.

HKFC: Brian, M.Y., Hyatt)
Howard: Mr Howard Chan
Thanks to Charles Lim for the translation.

Howard: Actually prototype was completed long ago, but MJ's family never approve it, besides that the license was expired hence we decided to cancel it.

Again BS from HT about this... The family has no say in ANY merchandising agreements with the Estate... HT dropped the ball here... :gah:

So after all this they haven't even decided when or if they will sell the Delorean!

Not sure if they want to make the Deloran ?

Let me help you. Make it. Make it now.

I didn't know Pepper Potts was ever actually being considered, but if this is true and there are plans to make her eventually, that's awesome.

Ugh. Mostly bad news. I'd be interested to see the Smooth Criminal prototype and the Pepper Potts head sculpt. Sounds like it might be a TF EX at some point. I'm sure they will do the DeLorean. After all they did the Bat. I just hope it's modular enough to encompass the first two movie looks. HKFC should have asked about Lady Sif, Heimdall, Faora and more '66 Batman characters.

Some people wanted the full interview so here it is. Not a lot of new information as usual aside from some minor details here and there.

- MJ Smooth Criminal is cancelled has stated a while back.
- Howard wants the sell the Delorean

Hong Kong Figure Club interview session with Howard Chan

Agreed! Total BS! Man up and admit that you SCREWED UP!

HKFC: Back to the Future's DeLorean has become one of the hottest topic this year's con, do you plan to produce it?
Howard: We were quite lucky as we are able to complete the prototype just in time for these comic con. Personally I want to produce but we shall decide later!

Release a Marty McFly figure without a Delorean? REALLY?! What's there to think about?! Why bother with the license if you're not 100% sure about releasing the FRICKIN' CAR!!!!!! :mad:

Jeez! Looks like we have a better chance of getting a 1:6 Tony Stark Audi R8 or NSX from Hot Toys instead!!!!!! :mad:

Don't even think about releasing the DeLorean in 1:12!!!!!! :mad:
:cuckoo:

Pepper, finishing the IM 3 run =

137.gif

Ugh. Mostly bad news. I'd be interested to see the Smooth Criminal prototype and the Pepper Potts head sculpt. Sounds like it might be a TF EX at some point. I'm sure they will do the DeLorean. After all they did the Bat. I just hope it's modular enough to encompass the first two movie looks. HKFC should have asked about Lady Sif, Heimdall, Faora and more '66 Batman characters.

This!

Again BS from HT about this... The family has no say in ANY merchandising agreements with the Estate... HT dropped the ball here... :gah:

Could be he means the estate has not given approval. I'm not trying to defend him or hot toys, but given the suits and legal issues that MJs estate went thru and all the fighting for control, the large debt and property liquidation, and the amount of court involment it's possible they where unable to get approval on the figure before the license expired.

I doubt they went and spent money on the license in the first place if they didn't intend to use it. But license rights are very very tricky. You can't just get the initial license and make whatever. Every product has to be individually approved, usually, and if the license has any change to parties then things get murky. Also they made the proto, so that costs the company money, and if they could make some money on it I am sure they would have.

Again, not trying to defend anyone or upset anyone. But I really doubt they made the proto just to mess with fans. I am sure they wanted to produce the figure.

Could be he means the estate has not given approval. I'm not trying to defend him or hot toys, but given the suits and legal issues that MJs estate went thru and all the fighting for control, the large debt and property liquidation, and the amount of court involment it's possible they where unable to get approval on the figure before the license expired.

I doubt they went and spent money on the license in the first place if they didn't intend to use it. But license rights are very very tricky. You can't just get the initial license and make whatever. Every product has to be individually approved, usually, and if the license has any change to parties then things get murky. Also they made the proto, so that costs the company money, and if they could make some money on it I am sure they would have.

Again, not trying to defend anyone or upset anyone. But I really doubt they made the proto just to mess with fans. I am sure they wanted to produce the figure.

Yeah I think people are overreacting.
He is most likely using the term 'family' to mean the estate. Often they can mean the same thing.
In MJ's case his estate is controlled independently of the family.

Back