Halo 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Multiplayer

- Story wraps around the multiplayer experience for the first time in the franchise.

- Players now control Spartan IV’s, which promise to be just as powerful as Master Chief.

- There is a reason why red and blue soldiers are killing each other.

- Beyond the typical cosmetic customization options, players will be able to augment their Spartan IV’s abilities and weapon loadouts, altering their gameplay styles for the first time.
A lot of focus has gone into giving players a better sense of weight.

- Audio design has been much improved and really gives a player a sense of where shots are coming from.

- Maps have been built from the ground-up.

- Two maps have been announced so far: War House and Wrap Around.

- War House takes place in a civilian manufacturing plant that is travelling in a near space orbit above a gas giant.

- Wrap Around is a small slayer style arena, set in a Forerunner facility, that contains catwalks, ramps, and plenty of man-cannons to keep the action fast and frantic.

Outside of the high concept of what Halo 4 is aiming to achieve, we see some specific multiplayer. Two maps are revealed – Wraparound and Warhouse, both small arena-style levels – and we see fly-throughs and gameplay itself.

Characters are now fully customizable in multiplayer; Spartans will have load-outs. The big news for Halo online fans is that 343 has decided to include game-changing unlocks in return for level progression, a similar system to that found in Call of Duty, for example.

When I ask Frank and Kiki about the inevitable comparisons to popular military FPS, they’re well-prepared.

“It’s super-dangerous to chase somebody else’s tail, but it’s also incredibly dangerous to ignore the changing habits of players, so really rather than looking at the specific games and their functionality, you look at changing and emerging trends for players and what players expect,” says Frank.

“That’s a really important one to get. You have to at least meet their baseline expectation for various gameplay features. But if you chase someone else’s tail and do it badly then it’s twice as bad as if you hadn’t. We have to make sure that the things we’re adding are our things, from our vision, and, yes, they’re modern and involved. Halo has such a grand history of, if not revolutionizing the console FPS space, at least pushing it and nudging it forward, and we’re going to to try to continue to do that in our own way.”

Kiki adds: “There are very few things we could do that wouldn’t put us in danger of someone saying, ‘Oh, you’re chasing this or that.’ The reality is that the industry moves in different directions and we have to look at what’s best for Halo and what’s best for the Halo player.

“Also, how do we bring people into the IP? It’s been a long time since Chief was out there, and there are new gamers coming up that have never experienced Halo. Are there going to be similarities with things we do and any number of other games? There always are. But for us it’s about what is uniquely Halo, and how do we make that uniquely Halo thing something that’s differentiated and fun for the player.”

https://www.vg247.com/2012/03/05/halo-4-multiplayer-and-chief-vision-shown-in-ca/

igTuFkAw5I7CK.gif

iX4A0jgLP5RPT.gif

Last edited:
HaloSC.jpg

Maybe a hint? Every single one of those books is halo related... except the Sideshow one... Oh snap!!!!!

New look blew me away. I know people are complaining that they're focusing too much on multiplayer but in reality they are doing they're best to keep the campaign a secret. Love the chiefs new look as well.

This is going to be the best game of 2012. Hands down.

I hope :pray:

I liked the different setups you could do in the Reach MP so I do hope they keep some of them.

Looks like they might be going back to the classical multiplayer. None of this jet pack and sprint ____.

I hated that crap in Reach. I miss the Halo 2 days, where it actually took real skill to out BR someone. For one, I'm glad we get to use the Battle Rifle again. None of that DMR nonsense.

On another note, am I the only one who thinks Master Chief's "new" look is a bit cheesy looking? It doesn't look as cool, almost as if there is just too much going on... I don't know... I hope it grows on me.

:yess:Oh man, am i exited for this game now. I have been in love with Halo since CE and i was skeptical until the new trailer. if the world ends this year i will be very, very upset.:dunno

Spartan Ops and Infinity Change Halo 4 Multiplayer
Changes are afoot, friends.
April 7, 2012
by Mitch Dyer
A substantial quantity of alleged Halo 4 details have started appearing online. The latest issue of Game Informer, of which 343 Industries' next game is the cover story star, is hitting subscribers, some of which have been sharing details in various forums.

The story details Master Chief waking up four years after his cryo nap at the end of Halo 3. Cortana's detected an intruder on board, which happens to be Covenant invaders probably joining them from the fleet outside Chief's derelict ship. No word on why the Covenant are there at all, never mind why they've broken their truce with humans, nor what role they play in the narrative.

The story that follows Chief's wake-up will, as we know, explore the humanity of John 117, as well as continue Halo 3's theme of Cortana as a rampant AI. In that four year break, Cortana's adopted a new look. As usual, the campaign allows for four-player co-op.

IGN breaks down Halo 4's debut trailer.

In addition to new weapons to be revealed, the Covenant carbine and plasma pistol return alongside the human sniper, assault, and battle rifles. We'll also get to wield the magnum, rocket-launcher, shotgun, and assault carbine.

The story carries over to Halo 4's multiplayer, which 343 is calling Infinity. This answers our question from earlier this week regarding Microsoft's newly registered HaloInfinity.net and HaloInfinityMultiplayer.com domains. Infinity has direct and indirect connections to the campaign, though details there aren't present in the article.

Frank O'Connor mentioned in the Halo 4 ViDoc that 343 came up with a valid reason for red to fight blue, and that comes in the form of military training on the combat deck, an adversarial simulator. This means we won't play as Elites online, as 343's focus lies on the Infinity's Spartan IVs.

Adding to the Infinity experience is Spartan Ops, a separate story-centric campaign for four players. It presents objective-based missions and cinematics, both of which will be added weekly to expand on Spartan Ops' story. These updates will happen for months following Halo 4's release to hold players' attention long-term. Spartan Ops replaces Firefight, which won't have its own dedicated mode this time around.

Another interesting change to Halo 4 is loadouts. Rather than everyone rolling out with the same weapons online, players bring customized gear into battle. Everyone packs a primary and secondary weapon, armor abilities (including active camo, jetpack, and hologram) grenade type (plasma grenade is still unconfirmed). Weapons still appear around the map, of course, but they appear in random spots via drop pods. In another interesting minor tweak, the respawn in Team Slayer is instantaneous rather than reliant on a clock.

What are you up to, Chief?

Oh, and since Chief vanished, Spartans have since learned to run; sprinting is an innate ability in everyone. Players can also use Forerunner Vision to peek through walls, Batman style. The X-ray vision upgrade is an armor ability you'll equip. Other abilities are unlockable via Spartan Points, the currency fueling the in-game economy. Points unlock additional Ops missions, armor abilities, and cosmetic upgrades.

343 Industries doesn't seem to be pulling any punches in creating a Halo experience with a unique yet familiar identity. What do you make of the online changes and single-player story details?

I hope they release this game on PC so we can experience the game with high-end graphics in 1080p resolution.

Gamer hub:
The first details from Halo 4's multiplayer came out in a leak on Friday from the May issue of Game Informer and the news is bound to shake up the fans of the series with some of the changes planned. What does 343 Industries have planned for the first game in the new trilogy, how do the recent "Halo Infinity" website domain reservations tie-in and what happened with Firefight?

Here are the details from the May issue of Game Informer about the Halo 4 multiplayer summarized by "How Was Your Day" from the Halo Waypoint forums. You can also check out scans of the pictures from the article in our slideshow gallery.

Spartan Points

Spartan Points is the new currency system in Halo 4. They will buy things such as armor, armor abilities, Spartan Ops missions (see below), and some_

Spartan Ops

This was probably my most favorite addition I saw. From how it was described, think for Spartan Ops like Spec Ops from Modern Warfare but with a storyline. They will span out over several months, encouraging players to return to the game. Game Informer said that Spartan Ops will be comparable in scope and size to the in single-player storyline.

Why Reds Fight Blues

I think most of us probably guessed this, but reds fight blues and blues fight reds for training purposes. They fight in something called the UNSC Infinity. The UNSC Infinity is a 3km long ship sent into deep space on a mission. It contains a virtual reality sector that creates the multiplayer experience.

Sprint

So not only is sprint in the game, but it is a_standard armor ability. You do not need to pick it up, it will always be available. You do not need to buy it with your Spartan Points, you will always have it equipped no matter what. So essentially, you can have two armor abilities._

Forerunner Vision

Ever wanted to be super man? Now you can! See through walls with your x-ray vision! I can't say I hate this armor ability, I haven't used it yet. I'm hoping it comes with its weaknesses and it discourages camping. Sorry guys, but camping in Halo 4 will not be a legitimate tactic.

Returning Armor Abilities

The hologram, jetpack, and active camo will make a return in Halo 4. It didn't elaborate on the abilities, but you can probably assume they'll be about the same.

Elites Not Returning to Multiplayer

Not much detail was given as to why elites will not see multiplayer combat, it was stated in a picture caption. The caption reads, "Competitive multiplayer focues on the Spartan IVs. Elites will not be playable.

Grenades

Now the article itself did not talk about grenades, but I noticed in the picture the Spartan had 4 grenade options. I assume the plasma grenade will return as seen from an explosion in the picture and the frag grenade will most definitely return as seen by the Halo 4 first look video.

Firefight

Once again, no explanation why aside from a picture caption. The caption read, "Halo 4's campaign is still playable with four players online (in reference to Sparan Ops, ensuring players that Spartan Ops will not replace the campaign coop experience). 343 Industries has no plans to include a dedicated Firefight mode. I'm torn on this, I don't normally play firefight, but I feel like it is a standard necessary feature in the game after Halo 3: ODST introduced it.

Regicide

Regicide is a variation of free for all. I think it's similar to VIP. Regicide, as stated by the article, "sets the leading scorer as the king. Every opponent that the king kills raises his bounty; other players have to kill the king to claim the reward."

Distraction and Revenge Medals

Don't feel bad anymore for not killing a single person in the game, you can get a medal for being a distraction! Oh, you just got killed and now you're raging at that player? Calm down and get rewarded for hunting down the guy that just killed you!_

Let me make it clear that I do not necessarily see these medals as bad. They just may reward people that don't actually deserve one.

No More Weapon Camping

One the skills that separated veteran players from inexperienced players was the ability to time power weapons' spawns. In Halo 4, this will be near impossible. Weapons drop down in drop pods at random locations around the map. Quoted from the article, "This gives the matches other focal points, and it also helps alleviate the advantage longtime players always used to have over newer recruits; the best weapons are not always going to be found at the same spawn locations." Unless there is a distinguishable skill gap between players, I most definitely do not like this idea.

No More Respawn Delay

Immediately after you die, by tapping the X button you are sent back into the match. Now let's contemplate why this might be bad. Let's say Halo spawns are... not so great. A skilled player out BRs/DMRs/whatevers a unskilled player. Now that unskilled player can immediately respawn and find you before your shields even regenerate! I understand 343 is trying to speed up the game, but they must understand the consequences of instant spawns.

Joining In-Progress Games

So to solve the quitting problem, 343 implemented the ability to join games that are in-progress. My question is are we going to have the ability to search for games starting up instead? It infuriates me to join a game at the last possible second, not even offering me the chance to play.

Back