GREEN LANTERN: The Sequel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the The Mike, :lol

Nothing is different. The thing that changed my thinking on it is simple, it's Tron: Legacy. Disney came out said, despite box office failure, it kicked ass in merchandising and home sales. They came out and said that they put a lot behind it to create a franchise. They had faith in the franchise and were moving with a Tron 3.

Green Lantern is in the exact same boat as Tron: Legacy was. It is loved by a core group of fans, panned by critics, divided amongst the general public, harpooned by the box office totals and still sequeled.

Now, it should be noted that Tron: Legacy although "sequeled" has had no movement on that front at all. Green Lantern could face that same fact. Warners just came out and said they'll be a sequel but nothing can be trusted until we see principal filming beginning.

So you've learned not to jump to conclusions based on 1st weekend domestic box office? :clap ;)
Regarding Tron 3, I thought I read they hired writers. :dunno

I'm just ribbing you because you came into the Tron thread and dashed all of our fanboy dreams with a dose of reality, but now you are on the opposite side.

G.I. Joe was terrible

Oh I did not even watch it, it looked so bad.

But that is a completely different issue than the question was it a financial FLOP or not. And based on the numbers, I don't believe it was. That's probably why it's getting a sequel.

With regards to GL - I think overall it is likely to be a financial as well as critical flop (I personally enjoyed it but admit it is flawed significantly), but WB probably see the opportunity cost of waiting 5 years and rebooting completely as too great versus just doing a sequel with new direction and taking on board the criticism, plus not having to go through explaining the origins again.

Green Lantern Sequel NOT Definite Say WB

While a top studio source told THR on Sunday that Warners was proceeding with plans for a follow-up film, a studio spokesman said Monday that no decision has been reached.

The reason that they haven't committed is of course Box Office. Green Lantern didn't do as well as expected and received a pretty tepid response from many critics and fans. If WB are going to move on a sequel they must first see what kind of total gross justifies one. Also, as THR report, even more money was spend on the first movie that you might think!..

Green Lantern had a budget well in excess of $200 million, according to industry sources, as well as an outsized marketing spend estimated at $100 million domestic and $75 million foreign. A source with ties to the studio says it is reasonable to assume that Warners has spent well over $400 million on the film--not unusual for a summer tentpole—making profitability a steep uphill climb.

Holt ____ $400MM? I was always under the impression is was $300MM...

Oh well. Chances of a sequel just took a nosedive in my books. Let's hope the toys and merchandise sell well...

Doesn't look like the film will cross $200MM worldwide at the current rate.

Crap, the only sequel we'll be seeing now will be Sinestro vs Mega Piranha on SyFy channel :gah:

I would pay to see that!

or maybe green lantern vs gypsy

[ame="https://youtu.be/7lGeRT7IZdU"]302 Found[/ame]

Last edited:
What was Tron's promotional budget? I'd imagine it was larger than even GL's, but I thought Tron's was much more effective (for promoting awareness, not necessarily putting people in the seats).

Green Lantern Sequel NOT Definite Say WB

While a top studio source told THR on Sunday that Warners was proceeding with plans for a follow-up film, a studio spokesman said Monday that no decision has been reached.....

Damn. I really wanted to see Blake turn into Star Sapphire. :(

Maybe she'll be in a Marvel film in a year or two as a love interest or something.

X-Men: First Class doubled its production budget worldwide. Thor almost tripled its production budget worldwide. Green Lantern has made about 60% of its production budget worldwide. They are going to lose money on this film.

I would be really surprised to see them actually greenlight a GL sequel. Talk about a sequel--yes, of course. But not actually sign on the dotted line and start writing checks.

To be fair, WB staggered GL's release throughout August which means there are parts of the world it hasn't hit just yet. I promise you that WB won't say that it is a definite publically until after the December video release but if an undisclosed source is already saying it has been greenlit and moving forward then those are conversations that have already been had. Hope burns eternal but the fact that WB NEEDS another Superhero franchise and NEEDS to make up some ground on Marvel might actually give it another go.

If they had another hero in the wings, then maybe not but The Flash doesn't even have a shooting script, Wonder Woman has no plans, Hawkman hasn't moved past discussion phase with the "last" Batman being filmed and the "first" Superman being filmed, WB needs something on the table especially with Marvel having The Avengers, Spider-Man next year and a Daredevil & Fantastic Four reboot finalizing, Ghost Rider sequel moving forward, X-Men: First Class sequel being discussed, Wolverine sequel slowly moving along, Iron Man 3 moving quickly not to mention the Thor, Captain America and another go at the Incredible Hulk all being pushed hard.

DC can't afford to be that behind in the Superhero race especially when the bubble could burst before they get established. It's not the most ideal way to continue at this but I'll be happy with one more attempt to get it right before a reboot.

To be fair, WB staggered GL's release throughout August which means there are parts of the world it hasn't hit just yet. I promise you that WB won't say that it is a definite publically until after the December video release but if an undisclosed source is already saying it has been greenlit and moving forward then those are conversations that have already been had. Hope burns eternal but the fact that WB NEEDS another Superhero franchise and NEEDS to make up some ground on Marvel might actually give it another go.

If they had another hero in the wings, then maybe not but The Flash doesn't even have a shooting script, Wonder Woman has no plans, Hawkman hasn't moved past discussion phase with the "last" Batman being filmed and the "first" Superman being filmed, WB needs something on the table especially with Marvel having The Avengers, Spider-Man next year and a Daredevil & Fantastic Four reboot finalizing, Ghost Rider sequel moving forward, X-Men: First Class sequel being discussed, Wolverine sequel slowly moving along, Iron Man 3 moving quickly not to mention the Thor, Captain America and another go at the Incredible Hulk all being pushed hard.

DC can't afford to be that behind in the Superhero race especially when the bubble could burst before they get established. It's not the most ideal way to continue at this but I'll be happy with one more attempt to get it right before a reboot.

Man that sure is a-lot of Marvel movies when you see it all mentioned together :lol

DC should look into a Captain Marvel movie. Seems like a sure thing with the growing latino market, it wouldn't require as much special effects and they wouldn't have to worry about meeting the demands that a Superman film would have.

Back