GREEN LANTERN: The Sequel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed! Cool with me as well.

I know I've been guilty of it as well. Especially when you feel so strongly about something one way or the other. However, it is annoying when you like something and someone acts as if how they feel the other way is "exactly" how it is.

It's annoying alright but you'd think we'd get used to it since it happens here on an hourly basis! :lol :lol

I found the first movie to be terribad, but I'm really glad they are making a second one. I like the foundation they built with the first one, too bad it was a poorly constructed film.

It's annoying alright but you'd think we'd get used to it since it happens here on an hourly basis! :lol :lol

You'd think so. :lol like I said I get folks won't like everything l like and I'm glad they don't. Gives us something to talk about that's for sure.

So what makes this likely and Tron 3 unlikely?

Nothing. They are in the exact same boat, the article is referring to the fact that Disney announced a Tron 3 but then did nothing with it so far.

Sinestro throws on the ring. Feels the power. End. Not once does it say he is evil. Not once does it say he won't use the actual green ring any longer. Let's completely face it, the after credits scene was pure fanboy masturbation. There was a ton of it planned that didn't pan out. Originally Abin Sur was to be carrying Atrocitus who escapes when the ship crash lands similar to the way Johns wrote it, just to have a cameo. Hal was supposed to in his fighting of Parallax, push himself so hard for a brief moment the temples of his head turn grey. In the same moment he was supposed to envision the destruction of Coast City. Hector was supposed to present Carol with the actual Star Sapphire crystal which he stole from his autopsy on Abin's ship (even the looking through the ship was cut out). Hell a part was written for Tom Welling to guest as Clark Kent at the party and ask the Senator a question and in one draft even had him running to look for a place to change, hands on his shirt when Hal shows up. It was all fanboy pleasure nothing more.

No one really knows what was filmed, according to reports, the film was edited and then re-edited and then re-edited both in filmed and special effects scenes to the point of almost being ridiculous which is why it feels pieced together in parts.

They could easily launch a successful sequel from the first that has a real story to tell, that goes in depth in character development for the villain mostly without any real errors

I've gotten where I pretty much stop going into movie threads a few weeks before it comes out when reviews and early viewings have started. It's really too bad because I enjoy discussing the movies, even the "bad" parts. It's just people's inability to not be immature and rude that takes all the fun out of it.

Few questions,

who were the alien astronauts in the beginning.

Abin Sur was in a ship, do GL use ships in the comics even though they can fly.

I'll tell you, my wife and I must have the worst tastes in world or our ability to just enjoy and have fun must be off the charts because we both enjoyed GL.

I've said it before, 2 scenes so far this summer have given me goosebumps, Thor coming to life catching his hammer and GL's oath when fighting pissedoffallax.

My wife and I keep reciting/repeating the oath over and over and over, we've watched that last trailer 50 x already :lol

Reynolds just sells it.

In Sunniest of Days
In Blackest of Caves and Alleyways
No Breakdancing Shall Escape My Mic
Let Those Who Worship Evil Knievel's Flight
Beware My Power of Greyskull, Green Fluorescent Light

Last edited:

Very, very rarely. Only on special occasions. Like in the movie...

The large ship he was in was to be used to evacuate an entire planet of beings, which were ultimately wiped out by Parallax. He then hastily used an escape pod during the attack.

I still haven't seen this (probably won't until DVD or Netflix), but even if the first movie is bad, the sequel doesn't have to be. Though I obviously don't know one way or the other yet, a lot of the praise I've seen for this film are from those who say you need to lower your expectations regarding the story and the dramatic components of the film, and to enjoy it as a fun action movie with great CG. Maybe that's just not enough nowadays if you aren't called "Transformers." Marvel seems to have found that sweet spot where you can have your cake and eat it, too, with great action, acting, story (including effective conflict with a good villain), direction, etc. Seems like the critics thought GL was missing some of this, and I'm guessing that has carried over to movie-goers at-large (based on the box-office drop-off, suggesting there wasn't much positive word of mouth effect).

I wish every comic movie would knock it out of the park, so I hope the GL franchise learns to thrive one way or the other as long as WB and the creative team are dedicated to making good movies.

I still haven't seen this (probably won't until DVD or Netflix), but even if the first movie is bad, the sequel doesn't have to be. Though I obviously don't know one way or the other yet, a lot of the praise I've seen for this film are from those who say you need to lower your expectations regarding the story and the dramatic components of the film, and to enjoy it as a fun action movie with great CG. Maybe that's just not enough nowadays if you aren't called "Transformers." Marvel seems to have found that sweet spot where you can have your cake and eat it, too, with great action, acting, story (including effective conflict with a good villain), direction, etc. Seems like the critics thought GL was missing some of this, and I'm guessing that has carried over to movie-goers at-large (based on the box-office drop-off, suggesting there wasn't much positive word of mouth effect).

I wish every comic movie would knock it out of the park, so I hope the GL franchise learns to thrive one way or the other as long as WB and the creative team are dedicated to making good movies.

Chris Nolan is probably saying to himself:

"Great, now WB will need my 3rd Batman movie to make 1.5 billion to make up for this bull____ GL fiasco!" :lol

Last edited:
Who says Disney have dropped Tron. The Hollywood Reporter just gave out the news two weeks ago that Dan DiGilio was to helm a sequel
Also Tron Uprising should be a hit on Disney XD. And when it comes down to it Tron Legacy made $400,062,763 worldwide, something Green Lantern can only dream of

Its a question for the The Mike who came out from day 1 and declared Tron 3 dead because the box office for Legacy sucked and now despite the box office eating it for Green Lantern is overly optimistic. I'm curious about what he thinks is so different.

who were the alien astronauts in the beginning.

Random Aliens who crash landed on the Planet Ryut (pronouned Riot). In the comics that is the homeworld of Atrocitus and was destroyed by the Manhunters (the precursors of the Green Lantern Corps), the fact that Parallax was there was just so fanboys could freak out at Ryut and the fact that Red Lanterns may one day materialize on film.

That is canon. Abin Sur on a ship that is. In the Silver Age, the Modern Age and even in Secret Origins (modern age) origins, Abin always crashes. The reasonings are always different. Originally he is injured so he needs a ship to escape because his ring is keeping him alive as he is looking for a successor. In Emerald Dawn he was using it because his fear had grown so strong it was shorting out his ring especially in dealing with Legion (who the film was originally going to use). In Secret Origins, he was in fear of what he found out about the Blackest Night prophecy that in transporting Atrocitus he needed the ship to keep everything together. He allowed fear to overcome him from what he knew and that no one believed him that it left him open to be killed on Earth's atmosphere.

The ring is only as powerful as their will. If a GL thinks, "There is no way I can carry a thousand people from point A to B" then they won't be able to.

As Irish added though, in the film he was to evacuate an entire planet which is why he was on the ship originally when he was attacked by Parallax looking for revenge for Abin Sur imprisoning him to begin with. A lot of folks forget that in the opening monologue it is mentioned that one GL Abin Sur, took care of Parallax by himself originally.

I'll tell you, my wife and I must have the worst tastes in world or our ability to just enjoy and have fun must be off the charts because we both enjoyed GL.

Most people I know who allowed themselves to enjoy it did. A lot of non-comic fans I know did. A lot of people get hung up on the details though which stops their fun and the first film definitely didn't have a lack of details that didn't work. It also had a lot that did.

Its a question for the The Mike who came out from day 1 and declared Tron 3 dead because the box office for Legacy sucked and now despite the box office eating it for Green Lantern is overly optimistic. I'm curious about what he thinks is so different.

the The Mike, :lol

Nothing is different. The thing that changed my thinking on it is simple, it's Tron: Legacy. Disney came out said, despite box office failure, it kicked ass in merchandising and home sales. They came out and said that they put a lot behind it to create a franchise. They had faith in the franchise and were moving with a Tron 3.

Green Lantern is in the exact same boat as Tron: Legacy was. It is loved by a core group of fans, panned by critics, divided amongst the general public, harpooned by the box office totals and still sequeled.

Now, it should be noted that Tron: Legacy although "sequeled" has had no movement on that front at all. Green Lantern could face that same fact. Warners just came out and said they'll be a sequel but nothing can be trusted until we see principal filming beginning.

Huh....

You mean the Superman reboot....there is no sequel to Returns.

Hence the irony of my post. What WB/DC announces or plans is one thing, but that doesn't always translate into a theatrical release down the road.

The success of Tron on video apparently encouraged Disney to move forward with the sequel. I imagine that WB will be waiting to see how Green Lantern does on Blu-ray/DVD as well.

Back