DC’s The New Gods movie (possibly standalone) helmed by Ava DuVernay

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The New Gods are natives of the twin planets of New Genesis and Apokolips. New Genesis is an idyllic planet ruled by the Highfather, while Apokolips is a dystopia filled with machinery and fire pits ruled by the tyrant Darkseid.

Who writes this stuff, children? :slap

They can't come up with more original names for the planets?

New Genesis is of course an all-organic, beautiful, rich in flora and fauna planet... while fiery tech-land is dark, evil and malevolent just like scary technology. It's worst than Lucas 101.

Apokolips... I wonder how many readers miss that? I bet a whole lot. :lol

I wish this thread didn't exist.

I wish this movie wasn't a thing.

DC will *not* succeed in this DCEU, reboot is the *only* way.

Dc biggest mistake was saying batman has been batman for 20 yrs. showing that the world isn’t new or anything.

Who writes this stuff, children? :slap

They can't come up with more original names for the planets?

New Genesis is of course an all-organic, beautiful, rich in flora and fauna planet... while fiery tech-land is dark, evil and malevolent just like scary technology. It's worst than Lucas 101.

Apokolips... I wonder how many readers miss that? I bet a whole lot. :lol

I’m sorry, but do not disparage The King. Jack Kirby was a ****ing legend and the mythology he built was incredible.

Dc biggest mistake was saying batman has been batman for 20 yrs. showing that the world isn’t new or anything.
Nope, that wasn't a mistake and even if it was, it shouldn't affect a New Gods movie.

They made many many mistakes, at this point, nothing they do will work out, and the things that do work out, will be isolated circumstantial events, like the WW movie, which isn't good, but it was a success for reasons outside the movie.

He was. But simplistic is an understatement.
It wasn't simplistic at all.

Nica went deep into Vedic **** and other theologies, but he wrote so out there, that the meat and potatoes goes over the head of the layman, he's basically teaching you theology and ancient astronauts with children's comics and you don't even know it.

New Genesis was also tech driven.

Kirby = Roger Zelazny of comics.

It still beats ripping off Norse religion. :dunno
He did that too tho.

Religions themselves are rip offs of their predecessors anyway, they should be taken as parables, not doctrine.

Last edited:
He was. But simplistic is an understatement.

There’s no doubt a degree of camp to it all, but keep in mind that he was still working within the confines of funny books. We’re talking about a genre defined by a guy with “Super” in his name who wears his underpants over a leotard and has an S on his chest. It’s nothing but camp, and the fact that he could create such a complex and multifaceted mythology that could not only endure to this day, but inspire not only further explorations and adaptations of his creation, but numerous imitators, as well (*cough*you’re welcome, Infinity War*cough*) is a testament to his genius. Don’t get me wrong, I get a kick out of seeing characters like “Bernadeth” and “Granny Goodness” played straight, but I don’t think they’re necessarily anymore ridiculous than, say, Mr. Freeze or Starro.

There’s no doubt a degree of camp to it all, but keep in mind that he was still working within the confines of funny books. We’re talking about a genre defined by a guy with “Super” in his name who wears his underpants over a leotard and has an S on his chest. It’s nothing but camp, and the fact that he could create such a complex and multifaceted mythology that could not only endure to this day, but inspire not only further explorations and adaptations of his creation, but numerous imitators, as well (*cough*you’re welcome, Infinity War*cough*) is a testament to his genius. Don’t get me wrong, I get a kick out of seeing characters like “Bernadeth” and “Granny Goodness” played straight, but I don’t think they’re necessarily anymore ridiculous than, say, Mr. Freeze or Starro.
:goodpost:

Although I think Batman and his villains, and most human characters are more ridiculous than even the 4th world, at least Kirby's characters are gods, Batman's Rogues and Batman himself are just weirdos with gimmicks and fetishes.

That's why I'm over **** like that Krypton show, enough trying to play it straight, it hasn't worked despite everybody's best efforts, there needs to be an amount of ridicule when adapting these things.

:goodpost:

Although I think Batman and his villains, and most human characters are more ridiculous than even the 4th world, at least Kirby's characters are gods, Batman's Rogues and Batman himself are just weirdos with gimmicks and fetishes.

That's why I'm over **** like that Krypton show, enough trying to play it straight, it hasn't worked despite everybody's best efforts, there needs to be an amount of ridicule when adapting these things.

Well, here’s my thing: it’s only ridiculous if you allow it to be. I mean, going back to the Mr. Freeze thing. He has a gun that freezes things. His ACTUAL NAME is Victor Fries, and yet, Heart of Ice is still one of the most compelling Batman stories of all time. I think the thing people fail to grasp, especially when it comes to adapting these materials, is that people will accept whatever the rules established in the property tell them to.

I firmly believe that you can still have a New Gods series on HBO with characters like Desaad and Highfather and tell epic stories without people rolling their eyes at the ridiculousness of it. I think people tend to get more caught up in the ridiculousness of it when you act apologetically and try to shroud it all in ambiguity so as not to suspend disbelief too much.

Well, here’s my thing: it’s only ridiculous if you allow it to be. I mean, going back to the Mr. Freeze thing. He has a gun that freezes things. His ACTUAL NAME is Victor Fries, and yet, Heart of Ice is still one of the most compelling Batman stories of all time. I think the thing people fail to grasp, especially when it comes to adapting these materials, is that people will accept whatever the rules established in the property tell them to.

I firmly believe that you can still have a New Gods series on HBO with characters like Desaad and Highfather and tell epic stories without people rolling their eyes at the ridiculousness of it. I think people tend to get more caught up in the ridiculousness of it when you act apologetically and try to shroud it all in ambiguity so as not to suspend disbelief too much.
I get you.

I don't mean ridiculous as a bad thing, it's good that they're ridiculous, it's gnarly, it's a staple of superheroes, it doesn't mean stories can't get complex or deep or interesting or emotional, but there needs to be an acknowledgement of the ridiculousness, there's a reason Pixar movies can still make people cry.

Hell, one of the few comics I remember crying to was WE3, about animals that get turned into government weapons and can talk.

I also think the 4th World can totally work as a Game of Thrones/Dune kind of thing.

Let me guess; the brash and "evil by nature" Orion is gonna be white, Barda is gonna be white, and Mr. Miracle is gonna be black, but not shorter than Barda, while Highfather is genderbended and played by Oprah.

I don't mean ridiculous as a bad thing, it's good that they're ridiculous, it's gnarly, it's a staple of superheroes, it doesn't mean stories can't get complex or deep or interesting or emotional, but there needs to be an acknowledgement of the ridiculousness, there's a reason Pixar movies can still make people cry.

The problem, I think, is that they cannot understand that the inherent campiness doesn't make them "bad". Take Doom, for example. He's a guy so damn spiteful and bitter, he basically tortures himself 24/7 to stick it to some guy who never even hurt him. He dresses in a medieval King's attire, is a scientist sorcerer, and is so socially akward he once tried to choke the first gal that wanted to **** him. The guy is not in his right mind, and makes sense that sometimes he'd act like, say, Iznogoud. But writers just write him completely straight, and add stuff like "DOOM is a Balkan Dictator, sure, and DOOM limits the freedoms of everyone, but DOOM allows RELIGIOUS FREEDOM AND OPEN BORDERS TO ANYONE", a few issues after he threw children in Hell. And a few months later, he gets beaten up by Ant-Man, in a fistfight, while the Living Tribunal comes down to judge him. It's just a mess.

So I can see when random execs look at all this, they pick the most serious elements that work, and go from there. If you were a Director and you were brought in to make Doom work, what the hell do you even do? The guy has so many different interpretations, that at this point the only way to make sense of it, is to call whatever you don't like a Doombot, and write it off as non-canon. Basically the Morrison method.

Well said.

... there needs to be an amount of ridicule when adapting these things.

I want that job.

Back