DC’s The New Gods movie (possibly standalone) helmed by Ava DuVernay

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea they are going to need one of the big three in this for the general public to care. Otherwise it'll just be another Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets to them.

yNlQWRM.jpg

I don't understand why WB is so determined to have different versions of their characters in films. Not that I believe this will ever get made, but they could at least act like there is some cohesiveness to the films they have planned.

Yeah, I actually have zero interest in this if it’s not related to the other films. I know the DC Films so far have their problems, but I’m tired of reboots. It seems lazy. Instead of starting over every time something doesn’t go their way, they could just work to make better films. Doesn’t mean the continuity has to be trashed.

All of these new DC films have disappointed me. Even if they have a couple cool moments in them, overall the films just feel full of missed opportunities that would have made them great. Now I feel like they're just picking these film projects randomly in a vain hope that something sticks instead of coming up with a solid plan for the film universe as a whole.

So DC wants the director of Wrinkle in time for their next big movie.
it is like beautiful poetry :lol thank you WB. I hope this gets made :rotfl

This is starting to look like legit Corporate sabotage, It feels like someone infiltrated them and is trying to destroy them from inside

I'm so disappointed Bruce Timm never stepped up to the director's chair for a feature. Either Timm or Dini would make a DC feature that actually treats the source material with respect and they could deliver a story.
Umm...

4ldg4vE.gif

3DKAubJ.gif

Yea they are going to need one of the big three in this for the general public to care. Otherwise it'll just be another Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets to them.

As much as I hate to say it, I think you’re right. I was going to make a GotG comparison, but the truth is that Marvel used the already good will they had with fans on account of stuff like The Avengers to get people to care enough to go see GotG. DC simply doesn’t have that luxury. Post-JL people are still thinking of Wonder Woman as a but of a fluke and I’d be inclined to say they’re probably right, at the moment. I’m optimistic about Shazam, but that’s mostly because I love Captain Marvel as a character, but even assuming that, Wonder Woman 2, And Aquaman all turned out to be great somehow, I just don’t think it would be enough. I think, end of the day, it’s probably all going to hinge on Flashpoint, and if they can’t somehow get that thing to be Days of Future Past 2.0 and function as both a soft reboot and a good movie on its own merits, they’re pretty much ****ed (and that’s assuming it isn’t a straight-up Flash movie that just co-opted the name and actually does the whole warring Atlanteans/Amazons, Thomas Wayne Batman, etc.).

Personally I think this could be a brilliant idea, because it gives DC an entire movie to world build Apokolips and flesh out Darkseid's back story, as opposed to simply trying to shoehorn the villain into a Justice League movie like they tried to do. By going this route, DCEU can cut virtually all ties to the poorly received JL aesthetic. They are free to create a completely new and distinct look and feel and use a more vibrant palette and color grading, hopefully more along the lines of GotG and Thor Ragnorok. Sure Apokolips is dark terrifying world, but that doesn't mean everything has to look murky, not to mention New Genesis should be saturated in vibrant colors.

I think Duverney is a talented director who just needs the right project to really break out. I haven't seen A Wrinkle in Time, but some of the visuals from the clips look gorgeous. Plus she's a fan of the source material. She's not writing the movie. I hope she brings in a screenwriter/team who knows and loves the source material, as well as a cinematographer and costume designer who can translate the Kirbyesque vision to the screen. Of course casting and CGI/performance capture will be essential. The less said about Steppenwolf the better. For Darkseid they need to set the bar at Thanos and if they exceed it so much the better. Having someone sitting in on a stool in a recording booth and then matching it to a lifeless CGI character won't cut it. They need an actor, character design, and performance capture workflow that will breathe life into a merciless immensely powerful tyrant who makes Superman look like a 98-pound weakling. I think if they nail Darkseid as well as the supporting characters and character design that will be key to winning over the fans and skeptics. I know folks will immediately start throwing out names like Gwendoline Christie for Barda, who may very well work, but they can't just pick a tall actress or god-forbid a basketball player. They need to find the right "actress" first and foremost and then figure out a way to make her appear 6'7", be it camera and set tricks like in Lord of the Rings, or pushing performance capture to the next level of absolute realism. Probably the smartest thing for them to do to start building excitement would be to show concept design, promotional photos and/or test footage at SDCC, as opposed to just unveiling a poster with the movie logo. Imagine if DC were to unveil the cast on stage, and then show either a photo line up or concept illustration:
On the left -- Highfather, Avia (see below), 6'7" Big Barda, Mr. Miracle in costume, Orion and maybe the Forever People (who could be DC's answer to GotG)
On the Right -- Kalibak, Granny Goodness (Cathy Bates?), the Furies (maybe based on Michael Turner's take)
Smack Dab in the Middle -- 9' Darkseid
If it looked comic accurate/inspired, fans would flip out. Add in world designs, vehicles and even 30 seconds of cool test footage, and the excitement would go through the roof.

I think the ultimate theme of the movie should be "Darkseid Triumphant". Maybe the story could be about Darkseid having risen to absolute ruler on Apokolips in a reign of terror, oppression and bloodshed, now threatening to invade and enslave New Genesis. The New Gods, as well as the rebels on Apokolips come together to oppose him. They are almost successful until Darkseid crushes them, killing High Father and most of the Gods, and vowing to hunt down those who remain. Then at the end of the movie as he sits on his throne, with the heads of his enemies at his feet, one of his minions tells him of a new planet they have discovered... Earth. Or maybe that could be where they believe Barda has escaped to. That way if the movie is a success, it would be a much better setup for Justice League vs. Darkseid.

What's cool about this is it can be completely fresh for the movie audience. If they deliver an epic story of good vs. evil, amazing visuals, a fantastic cast, great costumes and a powerful score, I think it could be Star Wars level. However, the suits need to stay out of the way which WB is famous for.

And if Oprah wants a part in the flick, no problem. She could be Highfather's wife, Avia. The character is dead in the comics, so stunt casting isn't a big issue. They could even write it so that Darkseid's forces capture her and he himself kills her, which is what leads to the war.

So rather than being a naysayer and dismissing this out of the gate, I'm cautiously optimistic.

I question how much involvement Timm has with most of the DC animated features in recent years. I watched Gotham by Gaslight recently and I don't ever need to see it again.

Yeah, I should have qualified that with Timm or Dini in their prime.

This director passed on “Black Panther” because she said it wouldn’t be an “Ava Duvernay film.” Ryan Coogler made it his own film while playing in the Marvel sandbox. I see a deadline article five months from now saying she is leaving due to the over used “creative differences.”

WB seems truly lost. Just days after Ava what's her name disgraces beloved literary source material on the big screen WB signs her on to direct a big screen adaptation of their own beloved literary source material? They're out of their minds.

At least they didn't give her a trilogy. :lol

I still say the best format for The New Gods is television. If DC got someone who knew their **** and made it a high quality, big budget program, it could be the next Game of Thrones.

It really does feel like someone who hates dc comics is trying to kill it from the inside. Strange

The DC license is full of potential. There are decades of character development and storylines that could be used on the big or little screen. The issue is that no one at WB is able to take control and deliver the goods. The characters have traits that are constant throughout the comics and are universally recognized as who those characters are. Casual fans and the general audience know these characters, so when you throw Superman on the screen moping around and not giving a **** then even they know something is wrong. WB needs to get the DCEU back to its roots and quick ****ing around with whatever plan they've been following. It's not working.

Also, WB has been tossing out movie ideas for a year, and with the exception of Shazam, none of them are actively in production. Two or three Joker films, Gotham Sirens, New Gods, Mel Gibson directing Suicide Squad sequel, etc--it's either ******** or already announced that they aren't going to be connected to any other DC film. :slap As much as I'd like to see a New Gods film, this movie isn't getting made. Period. It's another idea thrown out that's jumping on the hype train of whatever or whoever is hot at the moment. You think anyone except for hardcore DC fans are going to see a film like this with no connection to JL and likely no characters that the general audience knows? It's going to end up tanking like John Carter of Mars or Valerian.

Back