Green Lantern: The Motion Picture

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the major reasons that people hated this film is because they went in already hating Ryan Reynolds. They couldn't disassociate their hatred already going in and so they never let themselves enjoy it. 90% of the _____ing was about Reynolds alone even though to his credit he really dialed it back than it could have been.

I don't know. I went in with an open mind and just felt underwhelmed by everything post-OA.

I liked it. It just didn't stay with me at all. I liked the animated movie that hit just before way more.

One of the major reasons that people hated this film is because they went in already hating Ryan Reynolds. They couldn't disassociate their hatred already going in and so they never let themselves enjoy it. 90% of the _____ing was about Reynolds alone even though to his credit he really dialed it back than it could have been.

See, I don't understand this. I can only assume the hate for Reynolds stems from him being primarily a comedic actor. While much like Reynolds, Chris Evans began his career doing the same kind of dumb, cheap humor. Anyone remember the banana in his ass from Not Another Teen Movie? Yet no one really had a problem with him playing Captain America.
Don't get me wrong, I think both actors did great jobs with what they had, but the logic of hating Reynolds while praising Evans has bothered me from the get-go.

I'd agree with you 110% here. I like Reynolds so maybe I went the other direction.

As I've said before this was a film I enjoyed more than the film some are calling the best of the summer comic films X:FC.

Yet no one really had a problem with him playing Captain America.

I was incredibly disappointed when I heard that Evans had been cast as Cap. Boy was I glad to be wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I think both actors did great jobs with what they had, but the logic of hating Reynolds while praising Evans has bothered me from the get-go.

Yep. I think everyone who actually saw GL would be inclined to agree that Reynolds delivered. There just weren't very many who gave the movie a chance.

Now I would still rank it fourth as far as superhero movies go this year, and I agree with those who consider it a 6 or 6.5/10. But it was a damn fun 6.5. No reason at all for it to be raked across the coals, X-Men Origins: Wolverine-style.

One of the issues with Reynolds is Reynolds himself. If you really love the comedic Reynolds, you wondered where he was during this film. If you hated the comedic Reynolds, there was just enough to make you cringe. I think had they gone with the more Bronze Age and even current Modern Age amongst the events Hal where he was the no-nonsense superhero who was almost starch stiff and really trying to be a hero over his own personal demons, it would have given him a chance to shine.

They didn't, they went with the Silver Age Hal who was more playful and a bit of a smartass which unfortunately for Reynolds play up his alley enough for people to not allow themselves to see anything but.

Look at Evans, he played very straight, very few laughs from him and more from things around him or supporting cast members which pulled out his goofy side from being a problem completely. I loved the film because I saw Hal Jordan NOT Ryan Reynolds but had I been a writer for this film, as soon as I learned that he was cast, I would have rewritten Hal's character immediately to give him a shot at really portraying the character.

And the screenplay, and the script, and the cgi, and the unlikeable main hero, and the vanilla secondary characters, and the nonsensical plot, and the terrible villain, and the etc etc.

Reynolds was fine, but I couldn't tolerate Hal. He's an insufferable prick. What's his first courageous act as a newly minted superhero? He beats the crap out of a bunch of guys he got fired through his own incompetence. And he didn't give a ____. Between that and his feature film length sulking sessions, I couldn't either. The movie practically lost me from that moment on.

This movie stinks, and I gave it the same chance as any other flick this summer.

And the screenplay, and the script, and the cgi, and the unlikeable main hero, and the vanilla secondary characters, and the nonsensical plot, and the terrible villain, and the etc etc.

Reynolds was fine, but I couldn't tolerate Hal. He's an insufferable prick. What's his first courageous act as a newly minted superhero? He beats the crap out of a bunch of guys he got fired through his own incompetence. And he didn't give a ____. Between that and his feature film length sulking sessions, I couldn't either. The movie practically lost me from that moment on.

This movie stinks, and I gave it the same chance as any other flick this summer.

So what you're saying is that you're really psyched about a sequel??

i finally got around to seeing this film yesterday. what a load of crap. felt lke i was watching one of those 2nd tier marvel films, like fanatastic 4 or electra.

my biggest complaint is that the film seemed really dark. not in tone, but dark as in lack of light. i'm watching on a new 50 inch HDTV and in some scenes i couldn't tell what the heck was happening. took me forever to figure out what the guardians were. i'm thinking, "why is sinestro talking to these poles outside?"

had the same problem with Thor when he was fighting on that ice planet. too dark. hey stupid directors, lack of light does not make your film look cooler, just harder to see.

back to green lantern. other than badly miscasting ryan reynolds, who for some reason i think could have played The Flash,(and was a great Deadpool) the movie just dragged on and had so much pointless crap to it. stuff that i'd lose in the film....the tragic daddy death, the birthday party, the tim robbins super plane subplot, hal's useless buddy, hal and hector were childhood friends? blake lively is 10 years younger than hal and a test pilot? were they in the military, or private contractors? hal quits being a lantern then appears on the green lantern planet asking for help? boring stupid forced love interest.
just a horrible movie.

i did like the final battle in space. maybe that was because i could actually see what was happening since they were right in front of the sun.

and why was the pink alien flying in a space ship since none of the other lanterns used space ships?

i finally got around to seeing this film yesterday. what a load of crap. felt lke i was watching one of those 2nd tier marvel films, like fanatastic 4 or electra.

my biggest complaint is that the film seemed really dark. not in tone, but dark as in lack of light. i'm watching on a new 50 inch HDTV and in some scenes i couldn't tell what the heck was happening. took me forever to figure out what the guardians were. i'm thinking, "why is sinestro talking to these poles outside?"

had the same problem with Thor when he was fighting on that ice planet. too dark. hey stupid directors, lack of light does not make your film look cooler, just harder to see.

back to green lantern. other than badly miscasting ryan reynolds, who for some reason i think could have played The Flash,(and was a great Deadpool) the movie just dragged on and had so much pointless crap to it. stuff that i'd lose in the film....the tragic daddy death, the birthday party, the tim robbins super plane subplot, hal's useless buddy, hal and hector were childhood friends? blake lively is 10 years younger than hal and a test pilot? were they in the military, or private contractors? hal quits being a lantern then appears on the green lantern planet asking for help? boring stupid forced love interest.
just a horrible movie.

i did like the final battle in space. maybe that was because i could actually see what was happening since they were right in front of the sun.

and why was the pink alien flying in a space ship since none of the other lanterns used space ships?

The movie was heavily influenced by the Secret Origin storyline in the Green Lantern Comics. And in there, Abin Sur was noted as the only Green Lantern to use a spaceship

Yep. :goodpost: :exactly:

Sounds like you need to adjust your tv. I didn't have a problem with either movie you mentioned.

He was on his way to evacuate a planet.

:lol Yep. I think its a stupid TV owner rather than directors in this case.

to paraphrase Forrest Gump, "I'm not a smart man, but i know what a crappy movie is."

maybe my tv isn't set up properly(though 99.9% of everything else looks amazing) but this film still sucked.

god i hope they don't screw up superman.

Back