Green Lantern: The Motion Picture

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I don't read comics that way I don't pick these kinds of movies apart. I just enjoy them for what they are. And I enjoyed this.

Well finally saw this and it was just "ok" at best. I felt it took way too long to set things up at first. And typical old school superhero cliches - hero is reckless at first, sucks at life, yet he's the best choice to save the world etc etc. Two minute training scene, which could have been better. I just couldn't really find any strong investment in anything. The editing was a bit eradtic as well.
Althought I "get" the type of superhero movie it's trying to be, I guess I expect more after seeing of course, the Batman movies, but recently X-men First Class. I felt nothing "epic" in this movie. Maybe because it was just so loose and free and all over the place, lots of crazy aliens, magic green color means willpower, yellow color means fear, campy humor here and there, weak enemy etc.
And the ending was a little weak. I was thinking...that's it? Parallax shows up for all of 2 minutes, eats a few people, then gets lured to the sun and dead? Did not feel epic at all.
Now , on the other hand, a simple scene in X-men at the end, where Magneto, full of emotion and determination, brings the sub out from the water, epic music score playing etc. Just this ONE scene as an example, had more impact on me watching it, then all of GL. The music and soundtrack was epic in that movie, the emotions, the character development and acting.

So yeah...GL was not my cup of tea.
Although not as bad as critics painted it, I can see why they gave it a hard time though. At times it felt rushed and at times it felt like it was going nowhere. It really is not THAT great folks, if you look past the green effects and funky aliens.
But my two 10 year old boys loved it of course.
But maybe my expectations were a bit high as well, because a buddy of mine keeps telling me it's a super epic movie, and the best movie of the summer hands down.

Last edited:
Well finally saw this and it was just "ok" at best. I felt it took way too long to set things up at first. And typical old school superhero cliches - hero is reckless at first, sucks at life, yet he's the best choice to save the world etc etc. Two minute training scene, which could have been better. I just couldn't really find any strong investment in anything. The editing was a bit eradtic as well.
Althought I "get" the type of superhero movie it's trying to be, I guess I expect more after seeing of course, the Batman movies, but recently X-men First Class. I felt nothing "epic" in this movie. Maybe because it was just so loose and free and all over the place, lots of crazy aliens, magic green color means willpower, yellow color means fear, campy humor here and there, weak enemy etc.
And the ending was a little weak. I was thinking...that's it? Parallax shows up for all of 2 minutes, eats a few people, then gets lured to the sun and dead? Did not feel epic at all.
Now , on the other hand, a simple scene in X-men at the end, where Magneto, full of emotion and determination, brings the sub out from the water, epic music score playing etc. Just this ONE scene as an example, had more impact on me watching it, then all of GL. The music and soundtrack was epic in that movie, the emotions, the character development and acting.

So yeah...GL was not my cup of tea.
Although not as bad as critics painted it, I can see why they gave it a hard time though. At times it felt rushed and at times it felt like it was going nowhere. It really is not THAT great folks, if you look past the green effects and funky aliens.
But my two 10 year old boys loved it of course.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I remember before initial showings that some people inside of Warners were saying that this was a kid's movie but it wasn't marketed that way. I wonder if WB had decided to go that route and really hype it up for kids with adults being able to enjoy too whether it would have changed things.

I remember before initial showings that some people inside of Warners were saying that this was a kid's movie but it wasn't marketed that way. I wonder if WB had decided to go that route and really hype it up for kids with adults being able to enjoy too whether it would have changed things.

The SW Prequels were for kids :lol

My nephews love all 3.

I hate all 3 :lol

One could argue that one of the reasons that some don't like the prequels is because they are so wrapped up in their own nostalgia for the past that they don't allow themselves to enjoy it. Not all but definitely some.

Posted over at the GLCMB:
So we had this as of Monday morning:

Opening Weekend totals:
Thor:
Total: $65.7 mil

Green Lantern:
Total: $53.2 mil

Difference of : $12.5M

But the current totals from box office mojo report:
Thor
6-Day Total:
$80,725,835

Green Lantern
6-Day Total:
$67,199,935

Difference of: $13.5M

Now if you look at what was made so far in the weekdays:
Thor:
$15M

Green Lantern:
$14M

If you want to look at it by percentages: GL made 83% of Thor over the weekend. But during the week GL made 93% of Thor.

But GL did have the advantage of all the schools letting out this week while none of the kids were out when Thor hit the weekdays.

It is interesting to note especially since WB is still staying mum about it either way. Unfortunately Cars 2 is out this weekend and even though I can't find someone who wants to see it, it'll will probably slaughter the other films in theaters.

My former students all liked the PT a lot. Then again SW in general is for kids. The kid inside me loves both.

Don't get me wrong, I did the whole sleeping on cold Manhattan sidewalks outside the Ziegfeld theater for opening midnight shows.

But I sure did a-lot of justifications afterwards having to prove it wasn't wasted time and effort :lol

Looking back now, the experience itself...not the actual movies, but the actual energy of seeing new SW at midnight shows in Manhattan.....was insane and still worth it, no regrets!

Won't be buying the Blu-rays though, the geek in me has moved past the Prequel trilogy.

GL on the other hand, will be purchased. :rock

It's funny....i'm always revisiting my line in the desert of what movies I like or don't like (own or don't own).

One could argue that one of the reasons that some don't like the prequels is because they are so wrapped up in their own nostalgia for the past that they don't allow themselves to enjoy it. Not all but definitely some.

I agree that is the case for some thats for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I did the whole sleeping on cold Manhattan sidewalks outside the Ziegfeld theater for opening midnight shows.

But I sure did a-lot of justifications afterwards having to prove it wasn't wasted time and effort :lol

Looking back now, the experience itself...not the actual movies, but the actual energy of seeing new SW at midnight shows in Manhattan.....was insane and still worth it, no regrets!

Won't be buying the Blu-rays though, the geek in me has moved past the Prequel trilogy.

GL on the other hand, will be purchased. :rock

It's funny....i'm always revisiting my line in the desert of what movies I like or don't like (own or don't own).

Its cool. I'm not gonna tell ya to like the PT. I like them as much as I do the OT but can't expect anyone else to feel the same.

I agree GL is a must own for me as well.

I've read a lot of "everyone was expecting The Dark Knight" comments many places in justification of the film.....

I don't expect The Dark Knight when I go to watch a film: I expect a good film, which means a solid story and characters I care about or get interested in.

Thor was nothing like TDK and I loved it.

From what little I know of the GL history, I think the potential was there to make a good movie, they just didn't live up to that potential.

This movie felt like it had the evil studio hand all over it during post. It felt so off...like there were moments where it was actually trying to be deep....and then doing something goofy, or trying to give a message, but was just cut insted.

Like the scene where Hal goes and talks to the gaurdians. I really dont understand anything in that scene.

"Help me!"

"No..."

"Ok...well, let me fight for my world!"

"Never said you couldnt...go knock yer self out..."

I feel like something was missing.

Also, they used the SAME Sinestro scene twice...when he's giving his speech to the Lanterns after Hal shows up, when he raises his arms and the Lanterns chant "WE ARE THE CORE!" the end of the movie has the same exact Sinestro shot...and the same planet shot, but reversed. It doesnt even fade to white...it fades to black. Seemed very wierd to me.

Plus, someone mentioned there were no scene transitions. Just cut to another scene. We go from Oa, to Hal's apartment in mere cuts. No time to go "Alright, now we're at Hal's."

Maybe WB isnt the great studio we all thought. They could end up being FOX 2....only Nolan and Snyder got the special treatment...not sure if they'll leave Snyder alone after Sucker Punch....which is a shame.

Oh well...semi late night rant.

Like the scene where Hal goes and talks to the gaurdians. I really dont understand anything in that scene.

"Help me!"

"No..."

"Ok...well, let me fight for my world!"

"Never said you couldnt...go knock yer self out..."

I did not get that at all! What was stopping him from fighting for his own world anyway?? Lol yeah that was a huge plothole IMO

gaahhh - I wanted to love this movie but I merely like it.

Always astounding how much can people think the same stuff without even having that much to do with each other.

I didn´t even see the movie, but read the story complete and what I read made me think 80% of your opinion, although 100% on the Sinestro part.

How come that all actors that play on stuff like this always say We´re really trying to bring justice to the character" and then it always goes down the drain.

They could´ve used the story so well, that Parallax lives and also put Ion and Ophidian (just keep them as entities and don´t mash up Krona and Parallax) in it, keeping the comic story mainly intact, while better setting up the sequel mostly in the way you said, but that Ophidian influenced Hammond and having the battle between Sinestro and Hal after the later manages to bond to Ion and defeat Parallax, while in the end Sinestro would´ve felt betrayed by the guardians AND Jordan of course turn the guilt on them instead of him.

Finally Parallax would´ve lived and in a post credits scene offers Sinestro the ring, recoursing the path of his fear-ridden kingship on Korugar and directly establishing the Sinestro Corps.

Classic superhero stuff always works, but Hollywood doesn´t get it.
:slap

No one?
Am I this wrong?

Back