Fargo (on FX)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also would have liked to see the look on Lester's brothers face when they told him he would be released from jail. Guy was not the best brother but he certainly didn't deserve being framed.

https://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-w...ew-setting-new-characters#CMSth7T4Rbv4aR1x.99

As expected, FX has ordered a new season of "Fargo." And, as expected, it'll follow the "American Horror Story"/"True Detective" model of starting over from scratch.

Per FX's announcement this morning at the Television Critics Association press tour, "The new chapter of the 'Fargo' story will feature an all-new cast of characters, a new time period and a new 'true crime' story that will unfold over the course of 10 episodes."

One aspect of the acclaimed original season that won't change: Noah Hawley, who wrote all 10 episodes of season 1 — and who did a remarkable job of evoking the work of the Coen brothers without seeming like a bad imitator — will remain in charge of the show.

Many viewers had speculated that a second season would deal with the Sioux Falls case from the late '70s that Keith Carradine's character, Lou Solverson, kept alluding to. The mention of a new time period supports that theory, though the "all-new cast of characters" does not. For what it's worth, Hawley has been very cagey about the idea of a Sioux Falls season both times I've asked him.

But with such a terrific first season — and one that drew 18 Emmy nominations — I'm ready to trust Hawley on whatever he tries to do next with this world.

UPDATE: FX's John Landgraf said that the earliest the new "Fargo" season could debut would be fall of 2015, and that there will be "an all-new cast of actors," rather than taking the "American Horror Story" approach of recycling actors in new roles. There will be a panel later today with Hawley and producer Warren Littlefield, so we'll have more detail then.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/0...ting?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Season 2 will take place in 1979 and focus on Lou Solverson (the character Keith Carradine played in Season 1). It'll be a 33-year-old version of Lou, a state cop recently back from fighting in the Vietnam War. Molly will be four years old and we'll meet her mother (discovering what ultimately happened to her in the process).

It will be set in Sioux Falls, Luverne and Fargo, so we'll be able to visit with the violent Sioux Falls incident Lou referenced in the episode "A Fox, a Rabbit, and a Cabbage."

Season 2 will draw its influences from three Coen brothers films - Fargo, Miller's Crossing & The Man Who Wasn't There.

The first season drew its influences from Fargo, No Country for Old Men, and A Serious Man.

Production on Season 2 will begin in January. Hawley noted that they were rushed during Season 1 (having about half the time that True Detective had for production), so now he'd like a longer post-production process.

SnakeDoc

It'll be interesting to see who they get to play the young version of Keith Carradine's character.

Jeffery Donovan (Burn Notice), Kirsten Dunst, and Jesse Plemons (Meth Damon) cast for season 2.

Heard good things about this show so I bought the bluray that comes with a beanie on a whim. I'm glad I did so far this show is amazing

I recently picked up the Blu Ray set and saw this. Really, really good show. Being a pretty hardcore Coen Bros. fan, I wasn't sure what to make of this to start out with, but I feel they do the Coen's style and "Universe" justice, while still being very original and putting together a novel, interesting story. It was interesting seeing all the references that ended up being red herrings. Glad to hear season 2 will be inspired in part by Miller's Crossing, as it's my favorite Coen Bros. film.

Obviously I'm extremely late reading any earlier posts.

Nice conclusion... They actually had me caring/worried about Collin Hanks and his little family. I didn't really care about anyone else but them. You guys think Billy Bob let the car salesman go? I didn't see the extra car around after the bedroom shootout.
I felt the tension was very strong as well, and I was worried about the various family members at the end. Not very like Billy Bob to let a guy go like that, unless maybe he planted some kind of evil seed in his mind first. Not the kind of guy to be swayed by a plea for his young child.

Yeah I thought we were gonna see the 'deaf' guy again. Also, what happened to Oliver Platt's character? Last we saw of him was that car crash. I guess maybe he killed himself after that? Seeing as he thought god was doing all this to him, and most likely felt responsible for his son's death.
I thought the deaf guy might ultimately kill Malvo. Platt was shown again, at least on the Blu Ray, being awkwardly interviewed by Gus, totally destroyed emotionally.

It's a long way off yet, but I'm looking forward to the next installment. Cast sounds good, and after how great the first story was I expect this one to be just as good. Both the movie and the TV show kept reminding me of the opening in the movie Blue Velvet, where we're shown a nice, quaint little town where everyone has a well-kept yard and home. It's all bright and happy. Then the camera moves down to show the bugs and dirt, telling us that just below that harmless and simple surface lies some really nasty stuff.

There were some truly evil people involved in this show.

Yeah, I'm psyched for season 2, too! The cast is great, and I look forward to seeing how they go about it this season.

I rented this because I heard great things from a friend, and I adore it. The plot is fantastic, the characters are amazing, and the performances are phenomenal. It's got this beautiful, cinematic feel to it that really does give it the feeling of a "10-hour movie," and the music is incredible; I'm tempted to buy the soundtrack for their rendition of the opening theme, alone. This really is the golden age of television that we're living in, when this is the quality of the programming that we're getting.

I'll probably start with my thoughts on Lester. I'm probably really ****ed up, but I found myself rooting for him through a lot of it. The way his actions were framed, I thought, was brilliant for a dark comedy. The comeuppance that his wife and brother received were tremendously unbalanced, but they were the kind of satirical morality tales that would not be out of place in the twilight zone. "Love thy neighbor, or he'll bludgeon one of you and blame the other." It was such a brilliantly quirky character, and Freeman's performance was amazing, and I was really reminded by the journey of Walter White in a lot of ways. He's this little man in a little town who's constantly being belittled about his littleness, and out of nowhere, the devil himself whispers in his ear to "show them how big you are."

It's fascinating, in that it portrays his humanity, almost, as baggage that was weighing him down, but, at the same time, it's a cautionary tale, in that once he shed away his humanity, the hubris he was left with, ultimately, begot his demise. It really is wonderful, in that respect, because there are so many of those little pebbles spread throughout the series. Stavros Milos and his broken promise to God, Chaz Nygaard's wanting to be free of the burden of his brother, and, ultimately, finding that freedom in confinement. All of these little nuggets are so amazing because every part of them is tied to Lorne Malvo. He almost takes on this mythic status throughout the series because he's so deliciously evil, and he takes so much enjoyment out of knocking people down a peg.

Even though he's a hired gun, you can see that it's the pain he inflicts that motivates him, and it's fascinating to watch. The elevator scene was brilliant, in that he chastises Lester for costing him 6 months of work and a hundred thousand dollars, but, ultimately, brushes it off because he enjoyed seeing how surprised his coworker was just before being murdered. The unchecked maliciousness, though, was mesmerizing. You couldn't take your eyes off of him as he turned the Hess boys on each other and the "suicide" of Don Chumph.

It's part of the reason why I still couldn't help but root for Lester, even after seeing how vile he had become; Malvo really was like the embodiment of evil, and you couldn't help but be drawn to the underdog in that fight. It was a series largely defined by its villains, but it had a tremendous supporting cast. Allison Tollman was fantastic as Molly. She was tremendously competent, and her interactions with Odenkirk's Bill Oswalt were a joy to watch. You couldn't help but be frustrated by his obliviousness and stubbornness, while, all the while, appreciating the fact that it all stemmed from his innocence. That's what I loved about Fargo is that, by the end, it's a pretty straightforward tale of morality in that the righteous are rewarded and the unjust are smited, and yet, there are so many wonderful twists and turns to follow and enjoy along the way.

Colin Hanks' Gus Grimly turned out to be the most nuanced character of the series, in my mind, in that, by the end of it, he had gone through so much. That notion that Malvo was a predator, and that, ultimately, you yourself would have to become one in order to stop him was brilliant, and, even though he was commended for his bravery, there were still so many shades of grey in the way he dispatched Malvo. He would've surely been killed, had he done things differently, but it's still such a turning point for who he was. It was almost paradoxical in that his redemption was found in shooting an unarmed man with a broken leg 5 times.

All in all, though, it was an absolutely brilliant series, and I can't wait to find out what happened in Sioux Falls!

Last edited:
Since it's contained to a single season, they could really go bonkers with the story. Great stuff.

aces.gif

Binge-watched the last six episodes of Season 1, can't wait for Season 2. What an amazing show. It was gut-wrenching, but riveting, to witness how easily Lester embraced his dark side. What a truly loathsome individual, perhaps even worse than Malvo.

Back