Fargo (on FX)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tumblr_n72h0xYVKi1tykgdvo2_500.gif

tumblr_n72h0xYVKi1tykgdvo3_500.gif

SnakeDoc

Malvo gave him a choice. "What option do you choose?"

Lester could have just walked away....out of the elevator but he felt emboldened and confident over his new found success in life.

The first casualty of emotion is reason.

Malvo gave him a choice. "What option do you choose?"

Lester could have just walked away....out of the elevator but he felt emboldened and confident over his new found success in life.

The first casualty of emotion is reason.

I read an analysis of that scene that basically said the "yes or no" was Lester's deal with the devil. Lorne alludes to being "the devil" in the diner ("I haven't had pie like this since the Garden of Eden"). He also steps into frame after the elevator killings so the blood splatters look like red wings ...

tumblr_n6zro9HIT51qf2l7vo10_500.gif

The theory was that Lester started this in motion in the hospital, taking Lorne's words to heart ...

8078927e811fe53211587aa3492f4d9c.jpg

... but that he was coerced by circumstances. But, after reaping the benefits and losing his soul in the process, his circumstances improved markedly, and he faced off with Lorne again to show him that he took the words seriously, and now chooses un-coerced to live without rules. Now, after that 'yes', he'll have his reckoning.

Not sure whether that depth of analysis is entirely justified, but I thought it was fairly interesting nonetheless.

I'm kinda hoping Keith Carradine has a big role in the finale. He seems like a badass, and you could tell he didn't much like Lorne. That'd be a hell of a standoff.

SnakeDoc

^ Good post. Especially the "pie like this since the Garden of Eden" line. I missed that connection with the devil entirely.

As a huge "Justified" fan, Fargo ranks a very close second for me.

I'm also looking forward to Tyrant on FX coming up shortly.

tyrant_fx_logo.jpg

Such an amazing episode. Poor Linda. I really liked her, which was probably the point. I thought it was interesting that she actually covered for him with Molly. But that final scene with him... man, there was a part of me that was sort of delighting in Lester's terribleness. But all of his targets had been less than sympathetic in some ways. Well, except his brother's kid. He didn't really do anything. LOL. BUT what he did to Linda... tragic.

The scene between Malvo and Molly's dad. SO good. They didn't even need the near-miss with Molly. Just those two characters facing of was enough. He had Malvo's number in an instant.

The build-up to Malvo's slaughter in the elevator. Really brilliant and genuinely surprising. The devil thing was almost a little TOO overt. LOL. But I don't think their being literal there. Probably.

GUYS! GUYS! Can we use spoiler tags please?
I popped in here the other day and had to leave quickly.
This only aired in the U.K today.
Thank you,

Incredible ep. Enjoying this show Immensely. Its above True detective for me ( enjoyed the performances but found the whole thing dull and not particularly exciting )

GUYS! GUYS! Can we use spoiler tags please?
I popped in here the other day and had to leave quickly.
This only aired in the U.K today.
Thank you,

Once its aired, its not a spoiler. If you're behind -- whether by choice or by geography -- and sensitive to spoilers, its probably better to just stay out 'til you're caught up.

SnakeDoc

It's an anthology like American Horror Story and True Detective wherein every season is a new and different storyline. There will be a new season (hopefully) with a new story and new characters.

Thought the ending was great. A really great wrap-up to the series.

Nice conclusion... They actually had me caring/worried about Collin Hanks and his little family. I didn't really care about anyone else but them. You guys think Billy Bob let the car salesman go? I didn't see the extra car around after the bedroom shootout.

I would be interested to see similar stories told in future seasons... not sure how they would handle the title of the show. I would love to see other settings. Something like True Detective and American Horror Story can at least keep its brand through the title. I would not really be interested in seeing another story told in Fargo.

Nice conclusion... They actually had me caring/worried about Collin Hanks and his little family. I didn't really care about anyone else but them. You guys think Billy Bob let the car salesman go? I didn't see the extra car around after the bedroom shootout.

I would be interested to see similar stories told in future seasons... not sure how they would handle the title of the show. I would love to see other settings. Something like True Detective and American Horror Story can at least keep its brand through the title. I would not really be interested in seeing another story told in Fargo.

Yeah, I assume he did. Like you said about the car. Wasn't he the guy that said hi to Lester in the dinner earlier?

Really enjoyed the entire season, Thornton was brilliant with his constant **** stirring :lol. I hope they do another season, I don't think they need any characters from this one to carry over. I'd like to see the Sioux falls story told, it was mentioned by a few characters during the season.

For all its links to the movie ... the finale of this was more like No Country for Old Men than Fargo. The force-of-nature assassin. The regular dude that is out-of-his-league. The regular dude wounds the assassin (almost by accident) and forces him to retreat. The old-time cops being nostalgic about the good 'ol days (both Carradine and Odenkirk) when crime wasn't so gruesome. The offbeat ending where plenty die ... but not by the hands you'd expect. Almost an intentionally unsatisfying ending where the story doesn't get tied up quite right.

Overall, great series. Not as quirky or comedic as the original Fargo. Darker, and closer to No Country in that regard.

I've always thought of Fargo (the movie) and No Country for Old Men as companion pieces. Both are very tied to the setting, and have a very different feel based on the nature of the characters in that region. Both are about small-time cops fighting out of their weight class facing transplanted criminals. This series seemed to tie them together even more. Thornton was a lot more like Anton Chigurh than any of the bumbling fools in the original Fargo. And, the three-way cat-and-mouse chase at the end with the cops, Malvo and Lester was a lot closer to the plot of No Country than Fargo.

For a sequel/spinoff, it'd be interesting to see what they'd do with a No Country TV Series. If you're going to upend the series by losing all of the original characters, why not alter the setting as well?

SnakeDoc

You would have thunk malvo would have locked the door, or set a trap for any intruder (thought that was gonna happen, when he entered the house).

You guys think Billy Bob let the car salesman go? I didn't see the extra car around after the bedroom shootout.

He was a witness to what happened, and it's not like malvo to let someone go whom could intervien with his plan (call pd after release) ... so that's a big?

About future seasons, it could take place in other towns as well? Was it ever confirmed they're keeping Fargo as the title?

Yeah I thought we were gonna see the 'deaf' guy again. Also, what happened to Oliver Platt's character? Last we saw of him was that car crash. I guess maybe he killed himself after that? Seeing as he thought god was doing all this to him, and most likely felt responsible for his son's death.

Back