Anime for non Anime People

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure we've had a thread like this before I'm just not finding it.

If you could show a person one anime that wins them over and gets them interested in the medium what would it be?

I'd prefer Japanese, there some great American animation out right now but the idea is to win them over to the concept.

I like Kengan Ashura. Pretty straight forward, but maybe to straight forward? I make a thread on Legend of Vox Machina which I feel is a good in for western audiences with it being what it is and all, but I'm curious if you had to show one anime to win someone over and get them interested what would you choose?

I'm not a huge anime guy, I watch a select few Japanese anime

Attack on Titan is probably one of the most mainstream Anime out there. Fantastic story and characters, and I don't think it falls into a lot of the standard anime tropes like overly sexualised young women which is nice.

But one I'd always recommned is Dorohedoro, full of charm and finally getting a second season.

I really like Demon Slayer too, although it could do without all the creepy sexualisation.

Dr Stone is a pretty fun one too, less of an action focus and more on solving problems with science (although there is still a decent bit).

If we're talking western shows then I'd probably go with:

• The Legend of Korra
  • Castlevania
  • Blue Eye Samurai
  • Arcane
  • Invincible

If you could show a person one anime that wins them over and gets them interested in the medium what would it be?

I'd prefer Japanese, there some great American animation out right now but the idea is to win them over to the concept.

I like Kengan Ashura. Pretty straight forward, but maybe to straight forward? I make a thread on Legend of Vox Machina which I feel is a good in for western audiences with it being what it is and all, but I'm curious if you had to show one anime to win someone over and get them interested what would you choose?
Simple... Cowboy Bebop

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

It’s the one that did it for me.

For someone not immersed in anime at all?

Single film - Ninja Scroll (subtitled, not dubbed)

Single series - Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal

For someone minimally immersed in anime?

Single film - Macross - Do You Remember Love

Single series - Super Dimension Fortress Macross ( This formed the first third of Carl Macek's Robotech )

I'd recommend Redline for a single movie. They'll either love it or hate it for how uniquely insane it is.

I'm not a huge anime guy, I watch a select few Japanese anime

Attack on Titan is probably one of the most mainstream Anime out there. Fantastic story and characters, and I don't think it falls into a lot of the standard anime tropes like overly sexualised young women which is nice.

But one I'd always recommned is Dorohedoro, full of charm and finally getting a second season.

I really like Demon Slayer too, although it could do without all the creepy sexualisation.

Dr Stone is a pretty fun one too, less of an action focus and more on solving problems with science (although there is still a decent bit).

If we're talking western shows then I'd probably go with:

• The Legend of Korra
  • Castlevania
  • Blue Eye Samurai
  • Arcane
  • Invincible

All great suggestions. Maybe they break their teeth on those and I can eventually get them interested in some of the...different series.
Simple... Cowboy Bebop

I do have a friend who is not ant anime, but he watched the live action, loved it, and went back to watch the anime. He was crushed when netflix cancelled it. Netflix, if you're reading, bring it back.
Haikyu!!

a story about a high school - volleyball?! - team

I'll have to look that up, but I'm assuming its a goo natured slice of life? No demon volley balls?
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

It’s the one that did it for me.

I got my x into FMAB. The only issue is it takes time. If you only got one movie or one show I dont know if FMA would win someone over. The entire series is a masterpiece.
Princess Mononoke. Can’t believe I waited so long to watch it.

Miyazaki is amazing. Art masquerading as anime. Ghibli just produces amazing work. I tried to get my oldest into Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. I read the books when she was young so she wasnt entirely unfamiliar but it didnt hold her attention.

For someone not immersed in anime at all?

Single film - Ninja Scroll (subtitled, not dubbed)

Single series - Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal

For someone minimally immersed in anime?

Single film - Macross - Do You Remember Love

Single series - Super Dimension Fortress Macross ( This formed the first third of Carl Macek's Robotech )

My brother and I watch Ninja Scroll (move and series) from time to time. His wife "doesnt get it" so maybe not the best for winning people over. I'll check out the others though.
I'd recommend Redline for a single movie. They'll either love it or hate it for how uniquely insane it is.

I'll check it out. Hadnt heard of it but from reading it took seven years of hand drawing everything to produce.
If you like game of thrones then I suggest berserk. Also the last airbender is a good non anime anime

I love Berserk. I started collecting the manga. I think if we're talking Golden Age arc then maybe a good intro, but if they want more it becomes problematic.
Akira was a shock to my system back in the 80s. It is intended for a mature audience, but IMO it resides in the upper echelon of all cinema.

Akira was one of my first anime. I got it on a bootleg VHS. The subtitle timing was off so it was confusing up till the 10th or 11th time I watched it.

My wife and I randomly started to watch Delicious in Dungeon on Netflix. Neither of us are really much into anime but the show is pretty goofy and fun.

I'll have to look that up, but I'm assuming its a goo natured slice of life? No demon volley balls?

LoL, yes good natured and no demon volleyballs. It's about a high school volleyball team looking to recapture the glory of its predecessors. On occasion a single game would span a couple of episodes. Not something I thought I could ever get into, but the characters and insight into Japanese high school culture sucked me in.

I'd go with Blood the last vampire or Akira

Cyber City Oedo 808 is my all time favourite. 3 parts, all on YouTube.

Other than that, Street Fighter 2, Chainsaw Man and One Piece are my go to picks.

... Maybe they break their teeth on those and I can eventually get them interested in some of the...different series...

If you have someone specific in mind it might help to get some more info...? You wanna get your kids into it or some buddies of yours? Age? Male, female? What's their favorite live action movie/show? Stuff like that...

I'd go with Blood the last vampire or Akira

Absolutely agree. Most people know about Akira. But Blood the last Vampire is just soooo good as well. One of my all time favorites. Can't beat that atmosphere... (y)

Death Note. Not an anime guy myself but really enjoyed that series, I like Dragon Ball Z as well.

Okay, just for the fun of it, here's some of the real good stuff that doesn't need a lot of time or knowledge to really catch your interest - and by „time“ I don't mean the runtime but, you know, some shows just need you to really invest some time and focus before it starts to really kick in but with those listed below it's different, in my opinion at least. Those either capture you immediately or they won't.

For women:
Movie - 5 Centimeters per Second
Shows – NANA or Honey and Clover

Around Christmas:
Tokyo Godfathers

For sci-fi fans:
Psycho Pass or Ghost in the Shell: Stand alone Complex (I'd name the movies but those aren't for everyone)

If you like feeling melancholic:
Grave of the Fireflies or Wolf's Rain

If you like it mysterious:
Monster or Death Note

If you like crime drama:
Banana Fish

If you like action and comedy:
Black Lagoon

If you like fantasy:
Attack on Titan (as mentioned by others above)

If you just love great, artsy cinema that creeps under your skin:
Tekkon Kinreet

And if you're more into superhero stuff then:
One Punch Man

Back