Death Note Netflix Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Death Note American Remake

Don't know how the Shinigami is going to be worked into American culture though.
godsnam1.jpg

How is it PC when Light is a white guy and L is a black guy but the original characters are Japanese? If anything it's americanized, hence the name change to Light Turner instead of Light Yagami. Don't know how the Shinigami is going to be worked into American culture though.

I don't like any White or Black washing, but Black washing seems to be the MO of Hollywood lately. It also doesn't make any sense cosidering Watari is the only Asian in this.

just as long as they give him the same hair...
hXVqbxJ.png

:lol:lol

I don't like any White or Black washing, but Black washing seems to be the MO of Hollywood lately. It also doesn't make any sense cosidering Watari is the only Asian in this.

:lol:lol

Yeah, it is a stupid trend and black people should be offended by it because it's pandering, but then again when they do complain about stuff people seem to take offense to that.

That's good news. I hope they don't redesign Ryuk too extensively. I can see Dafoe's voice coming out of him.

Definite good choice. Dafoe is excellent at playing weirdo characters, so Ryuk is right up his alley.

How is it PC when Light is a white guy and L is a black guy but the original characters are Japanese? If anything it's americanized, hence the name change to Light Turner instead of Light Yagami. Don't know how the Shinigami is going to be worked into American culture though.

Exactly. Can't quote your statement enough. :clap Then again the whiners have a thing for selective obliviousness. :lol

I'm in for this new version of Death Note, the anime is a true classic and there's a couple of movies based on the original so one can always revisit those. Let's see a new version of Death Note and hope it goes to unexpected places.

I don't want even a White Light (or this project at all) They could of easily had a Japanese exchange student in the US work with Light. And they went out of their way to make L drastically different.

Films and TV Shows like most projects in the entertainment industry are business before art, that's a fact. Appealing to a single sector of demographics in this day and age is not only not profitable but basically career suicide, filmmakers like M. Night Shyamalan have learnt this the hard way with a "film" I have no desire to mention or even remember.

Getting a diverse cast is not only realistic but profitable, this is why movies like the recent "Fast and The Furious" became huge blockbusters given that they appealed to a bigger audience: a global audience. That is the reality of the industry, it's neither good nor bad but the mere reflection of our era. What we all must demand from studios and directors must be quality productions because that's what we all truly desire and are willing to back with our money. Given Netflix track record with their originals I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Cheers.

Well seeing how anything in this franchise outside of the Anime and the actual manga was pretty mediocre, I don't have any faith in that.

I've come around half way from my original position on this. Light and his family should definitely be Japanese. Death note deals with Japanese mythology/religion so the main character should be Japanese IMO. L can be anyone. He's a Sherlock Holmes type who is very knowledgeable about many things so ethnicity has no real bearing on who he is because he has probably studied up on many cultures.

I can understand that, but I seriously doubt this guy is going to resemble L in the slightest. Eating sweets, hunched over and looking like a zombie.

I've come around half way from my original position on this. Light and his family should definitely be Japanese. Death note deals with Japanese mythology/religion so the main character should be Japanese IMO. L can be anyone. He's a Sherlock Holmes type who is very knowledgeable about many things so ethnicity has no real bearing on who he is because he has probably studied up on many cultures.

Interesting thing is that the Shinigami themselves are "loaned" from the European depictions of Death and the grim reaper that the Japanese "adopted" from the early visitors. Doubt that it would offend or count as culture appropriation since:

1.- Depictions of death and even mentioning it are a big taboo in Japanese and most east Asian cultures. Getting scandalized by this might be akin to a hardcore Christian fundamentalist becoming offended because a Buddhist decided to use Lucifer as the main character of his soap opera. :lol

2.- Death is an universal phenomena that transcends cultures and peoples. The character played by William Dafoe might not even be called Shinigami but a "Death God" which exist in most cultures: The Grim Reaper, Anubis, Ares, Mictlantecuhtli, Ah Puch etc.

a good script will save a project, a good script and good directing, we will see

Back