Marvel's The Punisher - Netflix series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been thinking it for a long time...no one in Hollywood knows how to do the Punisher. Yet there is this guy named Kevin Feige that no one in Hollywood can figure out. Yet it is so simple...read the comics and stay true to that. That is why the character is so popular.

Frankly speaking, I think Frank Castle is a remnant of a bygone era and he should remain there. I saw an article in Variety today about why it’s time for a new Punisher video game and I didn’t know if that was actually true or not. On the one hand, a thoughtful game like The Last of Us from a developer like Naughty Dog that takes you through the seedy underbelly of New York and through the most broken depths of Frank’s memories could be something to behold (my mind gets kind of antsy after seeing what Insomniac did with Spider-Man), but I don’t know if we as a culture would be willing to accept a hero who acts as the judge, jury, and executioner to New York’s criminals; particularly in an interactive context, when we live in a world full of constant questions of excessive force and mass shootings.

Frank Castle is a remnant or a bygone era and he should stay there. Don’t misunderstand me when I say that: I don’t mean we should let the Punisher die, I believe we should explore Frank Castle as he was and as he has been in multiple iterations and I know the perfect intersection where you could do that without stepping on the toes of the MCU and while still having him remain canon: by following the ****ing books. There is no better setting for The Punisher than New York in the ‘70s and ‘80s. There is no better thematic backdrop for a hero stripped of his humanity and vilified by the world at large than Vietnam. So, do that. Keep Frank a Marine who came home to a family he couldn’t keep and a city that could barely survive in a world before The Avengers, when Cap was still on ice and Stark was still a snot nosed brat in short pants. Back when Times Square was pretty much the Red Light District...which would pretty much be Disney World for The Punisher, anyway.

Think about this though: do you think "Taxi Driver" or "Dirty Harry" or films like them, would be made today? I find it highly unlikely. Which is unfortunate.

Think about this though: do you think "Taxi Driver" or "Dirty Harry" or films like them, would be made today? I find it highly unlikely. Which is unfortunate.

I think it depends on context. I know there are different schools of thought on who Frank Castle should be/if he was always The Punisher just looking for a release, but I kind of like the idea of Frank as just another guy who was drafted. He was a capable soldier but he didn’t like it; he hated it, and then all he wanted was to just go home and I think you can tell an interesting story, there. Because Frank Castle is, effectively, robbed of his support system and because of that, he falls through the cracks. I think people are more prone to root for the guy who’s sympathetic than they are the guy who’s, effectively, a walking corpse that can pull a trigger and watch the life drain from someone’s eyes without blinking.

I just think the writing is bad. Jane's Punisher had Travolta and a big setup. That was terrible. Stevenson's Punisher had just dumb supporting characters that just cheesed the whole thing up. Then Bernthal's Punisher. Conspiracy leading to his family getting killed, WAY too much Madani and teenager, no big payoff on Jigsaw, no Micro and the director saying Castle is now just embracing the Punisher all ruined it.

There is a lot more to the Micro and Punisher relationship. There is more surveillance to Punisher like to Batman in Batman Begins. Castle is the tactical master, he doesn't just run into situations. Hollywood always wants to attach a female to Castle to appeal to his "human side". Let him be the Punisher and gives us the action we deserve. He doesn't have to stay in NY or even the USA. See Rambo, Bond and Ethan Hunt. The war on crime knows no bounds.

All valid points. With that being said, I kind of had a hard time accepting Bernthal (or at least taking him seriously as) the Punisher. Every time he would scream while shooting or yell "Russo!", I would find it unintentionally funny.

All valid points. With that being said, I kind of had a hard time accepting Bernthal (or at least taking him seriously as) the Punisher. Every time he would scream while shooting or yell "Russo!", I would find it unintentionally funny.

He brings the "Bernthalisms" to very role it seems like. Rubs his head, looks back and forth while talking, and kinda bounces back and forth when walking.

Season is kinda tough to watch and I'm only half way through. Amy & Frank and Billy & Krista is throwing this way off track. Billy's scrambled eggs storyline and Frank's dilema is acceptable to a degree but way overdone.

Frank being clipped isn't what I tuned in to watch let him loose. Walking and talking and more talking reminds me of a damn hobbit movie.....

I loved how he used grunting to make up for being vertically challenged.

Actually I have to give it to him for trying as hard as he did not letting his smaller frame detract from the brutality of the character when it was required.

He also sold the sympathetic part quite well.

I certainly don’t hate his version of the Punisher but Cavill Punisher when!

I loved how he used grunting to make up for being vertically challenged.

Actually I have to give it to him for trying as hard as he did not letting his smaller frame detract from the brutality of the character when it was required.

He also sold the sympathetic part quite well.

I certainly don’t hate his version of the Punisher but Cavill Punisher when!

I don’t think I realized until you said Cavill Punisher and I started thinking of young, Italian American actors for the role that I said to myself “holy ****. There really aren’t that many.” You’d probably have to mine the Theater world or go for an unknown if you wanted a young guy because the days of the DeNiros and Pacinos of the world are seemingly no more.

Cavill has a good look to him, but I don't think he has the attitude. He is too nice of a guy. We'll see for sure in his new Netflix Witcher show. How about Jon Hamm? He's 6'1" and was stone cold in Mad Men.

He basically was in that purge movie. Good call.

I agree. After The Purge 2 I thought he was perfect as Punisher. He even has the authentic New York accent. But then he was casted as Crossbone in a Marvel movie and I knew the ship has sailed.

Edit: Damn, he is even of Italian descent. He even has the same first name!!!

Netflix and Marvel really dropped the ball here.

Back