JND Studios: Superman (Christopher Reeve) 1:3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And yet, someone did this version on that celebrity lookalike app, and it said the closet likeness was Michael Fassbender.
Yea, but that celebrity look alike thing get stuff more wrong than right these days. I can’t say I’ve ever agreed with what that things says anytime someone here posted results for it.
I don't think AI is the best way to qualify its accuracy.
For sure. Which is why I said that it doesn’t really mean anything, but found it rather humorous and wanted to share it; particularly b/c my friends and I were talking about ChatGBT just last night. I’ve never purposefully/knowingly used AI. Not really against it but not for it either.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, if you're happy with your purchase, that's all that matters.
100% Agreed. I will say one of the worst things to happen in the collecting community is when ppl who don’t like something purposefully try to make those who do like it feel bad about their purchases. Not saying it’s happening in this thread, but I’ve seen it happen before. I get that some collectors can be pretty passionate, to say the least, but I feel like it can get to the point where it’s uncalled for after the initial statement of dislike has been made. I’m not a fan of negativity in general and especially not in what’s supposed to be a fun hobby

...apparently AI agrees that the new one is more accurate.
Well, if Skynet says...

HjPtYyP.gif

My rule is if the statue does not grab me and there is no wow factor than it is a pass. If I have to convince myself to like it than there is a problem.
Same. When it comes to any likeness I've found that my initial first reaction is usually the best and most accurate one. If I have to let a sculpt "grow" on me over time then I'm probably seeing something that isn't really there.

100% Agreed. I will say one of the worst things to happen in the collecting community is when ppl who don’t like something purposefully try to make those who do like it feel bad about their purchases. Not saying it’s happening in this thread, but I’ve seen it happen before. I get that some collectors can be pretty passionate, to say the least, but I feel like it can get to the point where it’s uncalled for after the initial statement of dislike has been made. I’m not a fan of negativity in general and especially not in what’s supposed to be a fun hobby

On these forums, everyone takes it upon themselves to offer an opinion. I think the issues start when the same people visit multiple times to hammer home their negative opinions. Those same people tend to complain if they're challenged. I will never understand certain people who enter threads about products they either have no interest in, or feel opposed to - just to pontificate as to why the product is (in their opinion) - sub par, as if anyone should care.....

Regardless of "free speech" - these people are simply toxic, and clearly have one agenda - to sour everyone else's experience of collecting.

Regrading this piece - I think, as long as the buyers are happy with the value proposition - it's a success. For those who feel this piece fails to impress - you're not the target audience, nothing to see here - move on.

On these forums, everyone takes it upon themselves to offer an opinion. I think the issues start when the same people visit multiple times to hammer home their negative opinions. Those same people tend to complain if they're challenged. I will never understand certain people who enter threads about products they either have no interest in, or feel opposed to - just to pontificate as to why the product is (in their opinion) - sub par, as if anyone should care.....

Regardless of "free speech" - these people are simply toxic, and clearly have one agenda - to sour everyone else's experience of collecting.

Regrading this piece - I think, as long as the buyers are happy with the value proposition - it's a success. For those who feel this piece fails to impress - you're not the target audience, nothing to see here - move on.

Welcome to JND products where people who have no intention of getting them seem to have the louder opinions.

Sadly I didn't get the NRD back. Oh well lesson learned.

The sad thing is though... what's the lesson? You ordered something you were happy with, they changed it completely, and are unwilling to give you your money back? Is there anywhere that says they are allowed to completely change the prototype when you put down your deposit? It's like ordering a BMW convertible and having a Mercedes convertible arrive. It's still a convertible, it's still a car, but the aesthetics are completely different.

With these selling out so quickly, you can't exactly wait until the thing has been shipped to see if you're happy with the end result because, more than likely, you'll be paying more than the retail price. So you're stuck in a no-win situation. You just have to take the gamble and put down the NFD.

This has now set a precedent for JND. I don't recall them completely changing a sculpt before. So if this is what it's going to be moving forward, that's a bit of a worry. If I put down the deposit based on a sculpt I was absolutely in love with, and they completely changed it (not just a small tweak), I'd be so annoyed. JND should offer both versions (those that pre-ordered tick a box for the one they want within a timeframe so they can still meet their delivery window), if not, give back the deposits.

I love JND products and their overall ethos, but not giving people back their deposits after such a dramatic change is disappointing, and I would suspect, boarding on false advertising.

The sad thing is though... what's the lesson? You ordered something you were happy with, they changed it completely, and are unwilling to give you your money back? Is there anywhere that says they are allowed to completely change the prototype when you put down your deposit? It's like ordering a BMW convertible and having a Mercedes convertible arrive. It's still a convertible, it's still a car, but the aesthetics are completely different.

With these selling out so quickly, you can't exactly wait until the thing has been shipped to see if you're happy with the end result because, more than likely, you'll be paying more than the retail price. So you're stuck in a no-win situation. You just have to take the gamble and put down the NFD.

This has now set a precedent for JND. I don't recall them completely changing a sculpt before. So if this is what it's going to be moving forward, that's a bit of a worry. If I put down the deposit based on a sculpt I was absolutely in love with, and they completely changed it (not just a small tweak), I'd be so annoyed. JND should offer both versions (those that pre-ordered tick a box for the one they want within a timeframe so they can still meet their delivery window), if not, give back the deposits.

I love JND products and their overall ethos, but not giving people back their deposits after such a dramatic change is disappointing, and I would suspect, boarding on false advertising.

I agree with your points, I don't believe that it's fair to make such dramatic changes which are forced onto customers, with no "opt out" clause in the pre-order contract....

That said - and to give JND some credit, almost every release - you read online, either on Facebook or on the forums, some IDIOT (I don't use this insult lightly) who paid the pre-order but then proceeds to (literally) BEG JND to "please tweak this or that" (I recognize that people feel justified in asking for tweaks, but you get what you pay for - if the piece is not already where you want it, don't pay and then complain)......take a look at the Indiana Jones release and the comments on this forum! I've always maintained that asking for changes is a double edged sword, because whilst we hope and assume that changes will take us closer to the intended target likeness - the reality is, there's an equal (and more likely) chance it will take the piece further away......so, JND is also in a no win situation. If they stick to their original design, they're labelled as a company that ignores criticism and the customer needs - and if they make changes, there's a chance they'll upset customers who were supportive of the original design.....nd no, I don't believe making a whole secondary version of the statue is a realistic option, especially as this could drive up the costs on what is already a very expensive item......

But, as I said, I do generally agree with you, and at the very minimum - if they make such changes, a full return of the deposit should be offered to those who ordered the original design.

Thanks for posting all the new images @Pizza :duff

Very well said :clap
Sadly I didn't get the NRD back. Oh well lesson learned.
That really sucks. I’m sorry to hear that. They really should’ve given folks who previously ordered the chance to get their whole deposit back including the NRD in this case. I mean, the few sets they had available sold out quickly, so there’s no doubt that anyone’s canceled item wouldn’t be picked up by someone else.

I have no doubt that if/when Blitzway P1 do one, the KA Kim sculpt will be killer. And, should you decide to get one at that time, you’ll probably still come out cheaper even with the deposit lost on this. Doesn’t make it any easier I’m sure, but hopefully a silver lining at least.

I agree with your points, I don't believe that it's fair to make such dramatic changes which are forced onto customers, with no "opt out" clause in the pre-order contract....

That said - and to give JND some credit, almost every release - you read online, either on Facebook or on the forums, some IDIOT (I don't use this insult lightly) who paid the pre-order but then proceeds to (literally) BEG JND to "please tweak this or that" (I recognize that people feel justified in asking for tweaks, but you get what you pay for - if the piece is not already where you want it, don't pay and then complain)......take a look at the Indiana Jones release and the comments on this forum! I've always maintained that asking for changes is a double edged sword, because whilst we hope and assume that changes will take us closer to the intended target likeness - the reality is, there's an equal (and more likely) chance it will take the piece further away......so, JND is also in a no win situation. If they stick to their original design, they're labelled as a company that ignores criticism and the customer needs - and if they make changes, there's a chance they'll upset customers who were supportive of the original design.....nd no, I don't believe making a whole secondary version of the statue is a realistic option, especially as this could drive up the costs on what is already a very expensive item......

But, as I said, I do generally agree with you, and at the very minimum - if they make such changes, a full return of the deposit should be offered to those who ordered the original design.

I'm one of the people who pre-ordered Indy and have been vocal about its shortcomings and hoping for a change. I ordered it because at this point in time, it's the best Indy representation there's been - flaws and all. So I've "made peace" with my ridiculously expensive, self indulgent, insanely extravagant, purchase. But if there's a chance they can tweak it to make it better, why not speak up - particularly when we are paying such insane prices - and - JND clearly have the capability of making it even better?

Someone on here selflessly sent JND the original piece of cloth from Indy's pants because JND's color choice was so obviously wrong. So by speaking up and doing that, we're all going to get a more accurate representation. To me, that is hugely admirable on the person that sent it, and JND for accepting it.

I've ordered a lot of custom things over the years and the artist will put up their "prototype" and adjust based on customer feedback. Generally, the feedback is constructive and justified, and without that feedback how does the artist, or company, improve? Three great examples are JazzInc, Unix, and MYC. They all listen to the customers and improve with every release they do.

We all have our own likes and dislikes, and judging by what you've said, you seem to be happy with whatever the company gives you - without question or complaint. And that's okay. But likewise, it's also okay for people to voice their concerns to the companies and among other collectors as well.

I bought the JND The Batman and love it. To me, it's the best item I have by a long shot in a nearly 80K collection - but there's plenty of people that don't like it... and that's okay to.

I'm one of the people who pre-ordered Indy and have been vocal about its shortcomings and hoping for a change. I ordered it because at this point in time, it's the best Indy representation there's been - flaws and all. So I've "made peace" with my ridiculously expensive, self indulgent, insanely extravagant, purchase. But if there's a chance they can tweak it to make it better, why not speak up - particularly when we are paying such insane prices - and - JND clearly have the capability of making it even better?

Someone on here selflessly sent JND the original piece of cloth from Indy's pants because JND's color choice was so obviously wrong. So by speaking up and doing that, we're all going to get a more accurate representation. To me, that is hugely admirable on the person that sent it, and JND for accepting it.

I've ordered a lot of custom things over the years and the artist will put up their "prototype" and adjust based on customer feedback. Generally, the feedback is constructive and justified, and without that feedback how does the artist, or company, improve? Three great examples are JazzInc, Unix, and MYC. They all listen to the customers and improve with every release they do.

We all have our own likes and dislikes, and judging by what you've said, you seem to be happy with whatever the company gives you - without question or complaint. And that's okay. But likewise, it's also okay for people to voice their concerns to the companies and among other collectors as well.

I bought the JND The Batman and love it. To me, it's the best item I have by a long shot in a nearly 80K collection - but there's plenty of people that don't like it... and that's okay to.

When an artist produces a piece of work, or when a company releases a piece - we have to assume that what they put out is a representation of that artist / company "putting their best foot forward". As we know, this is a business, and those companies know that if the piece is below par it won't sell. When people complain that the piece is off, or the eyes need to change, or the mouth is too big - whilst these criticisms may have merit, if the artist goes back to do a makeover - they're effectively in "no man's land" - because in their minds, they've already done their best work, so any deviation from that may (or may not) look good to the customer, but it will deviate from the artists view of the piece.

This is not psyche 101 - it's obvious, because we ALL see something different in a face, and so does the artist.

It's not a matter of me just taking whatever is given.....absolutely not. I just buy pieces that work for me. If it doesn't work, then I don't buy it - but you won't see me asking the artist to make changes. Because as much as I might hope changes may improve a piece - it's rather more likely to ruin a piece as well.

Unfortunately, for some people, that nightmare outcome has happened with this CR Superman piece.....so I'm not using the term "idiot" lightly here, as I'm also not trying to offend any particular person - I'm referring to the sentiment of asking for changes after a company has released it's product.....as the saying goes - "be careful what you wish for.....you might just get it!"

Oh please, it's not toxic to want to criticize and express our disappointment (even more than once) with a statue of the most iconic superhero actor of our generation, that most of us have been wanting a great statue of for years. And then when the company completely revises the sculpt for the worse, we're naturally going to want to comment on that too.

Oh please, it's not toxic to want to criticize and express our disappointment (even more than once) with a statue of the most iconic superhero actor of our generation, that most of us have been wanting a great statue of for years. And then when the company completely revises the sculpt for the worse, we're naturally going to want to comment on that too.

Well, it depends on what you want to achieve. If you're disappointed, you let your opinion be known, you withhold you financial support - what more do you want to do by returning again and again to repeat the same opinions? Why waste your time? Why not spend your time focusing on a product you do like, and be excited - rather than being angry and negative?

This is my definition of "toxic" - once someone has made their point, the only reason a person will stick around is to try to influence others to support their opinion. It's like trying to find justification for whatever negativity by having others agree......then the arguments begin, normally when someone disagrees, and then the negative individual feels motivated to continue the crusade......in the end, nobody wins - everyone has a sh1t experience - hence, "toxic"......

Well, it depends on what you want to achieve. If you're disappointed, you let your opinion be known, you withhold you financial support - what more do you want to do by returning again and again to repeat the same opinions? Why waste your time? Why not spend your time focusing on a product you do like, and be excited - rather than being angry and negative?

This is my definition of "toxic" - once someone has made their point, the only reason a person will stick around is to try to influence others to support their opinion. It's like trying to find justification for whatever negativity by having others agree......then the arguments begin, normally when someone disagrees, and then the negative individual feels motivated to continue the crusade......in the end, nobody wins - everyone has a sh1t experience - hence, "toxic"......

Isn't this exactly what you're doing?

Back