DC's "Gotham City Sirens"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Harley Quinn led female DC Heroes movie

Is he a chick now?

latest

Based on that pic I would say definitely yes.

Re: Harley Quinn led female DC Heroes movie

just like they did with Civil War :rotfl:rotfl

you are right because that is the truth!:lol

However WW beats anything female led and bet this HQ thing is ready to go for 2018 since they will move if SS is well received, then SS 2 after HQ

Harley Quinn Spinoff officially a GO by WB- Margot Robbie Co-Producing

Harley Quinn: Margot Robbie to co-produce Suicide Squad spin-off film

Having been the stand-out star of the otherwise derided Suicide Squad, Margot Robbie has reportedly signed with Warner Bros. for a Harley Quinn solo-film which she will executive produce.

While no other details about the film have been released, it marks the further expansion of the DC Extended Universe (which already has numerous films in the pipeline, including Wonder Woman, Justice League, Cyborg, The Flash, Green Lantern, Shazam, and a Batman solo film).

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Robbie has signed a ‘first-look’ deal with Warner Bros., allowing them the rights to develop and produce films through her LuckyChap Entertainment banner.

This not only includes the Harley Quinn solo-film but also an adaptation of Dean N. Jensen's Queen of the Air which she will star in (more on that here).

The deal showcases WB's commitment to female-led blockbusters, other female-led films include Wonder Woman and the rebooted Oceans 11 with its all-female cast.

In her relatively short yet prolific career, Robbie has worked with WB on numerous occasions, including Focus, The Legend of Tarzan, and - of course - the $700 million-grossing Suicide Squad.

Robbie’s production company, LuckyChap - helmed by Robbie, Tom Ackerley, Josey McNamara and Sophia Kerr - has numerous projects currently on the move. The company is producing upcoming neo-noir thriller Terminal, Tonya Harding biopic I, Tonya, and an adaptation of Bad Monkeys.

The Aussie actor has recently been campaigning for a Harley/Joker spin-off film, telling fans "I'm trying to make it happen." Perhaps we should expect Jared Leto's Joker in the solo film - they could always use all *that* deleted footage

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...uce-suicide-squad-spin-off-film-a7308661.html

The Aussie actress already has two projects set at the studio, including a spinoff for her 'Suicide Squad' character Harley Quinn.

Margot Robbie is setting down roots at Warner Bros.

The Aussie actress is signing a first-look deal with the studio behind her summer movie Suicide Squad to develop and produce feature films through her LuckyChap Entertainment banner.

Producing and developing with Robbie will be her LuckyChap colleagues Tom Ackerley, Josey McNamara and Sophia Kerr.

Robbie, whose breakout performance came in Martin Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street, is only 26 years old but has quickly grasped control of her career in a way few actors, especially female actors, do, steadily wading into the world of producing.

Robbie and LuckyChap are in postproduction on their first movie as producers, the upcoming neo noir thriller Terminal. LuckyChap also is developing and producing a Tonya Harding biopic, I, Tonya, in which the actress will play the disgraced figure skater, and is developing an adaptation of Bad Monkeys, a novel by Matt Ruff, along with Bluegrass Films’ Scott Stuber and Dylan Clark for Universal Pictures.

Warner Bros. has built a relationship with the actress, who starred in Focus and The Legend of Tarzan for the studio before becoming one of the key factors behind Suicide Squad grossing more than $700 million worldwide.

The actress already has two projects set at Warners: a Suicide Squad spinoff for her character Harley Quinn (as well as other DC heroines) that she will executive produce and an adaptation of Dean N. Jensen's Queen of the Air in which she is attached to star.

The first-look deal underlines Warner Bros.’ renewed focus on female-driven storytelling and comes after some notables moves from the Burbank-based studio.

It created the Warner Bros. Emerging Film Directors Workshop earlier this year as a program to increase female voices, among other under-represented sectors. The program was spearheaded by the studio’s president of creative development and worldwide production Greg Silverman.

Warners has Wonder Woman, based on DC’s iconic female superhero, coming out next year and was firm in its commitment to find a female director for that movie. And it is prepping Ocean’s Ocho, a female-centric take on Ocean’s 11 that will feature an A-list female ensemble.

Robbie is repped by CAA, Management 360 and attorney Jeff Bernstein of Jackoway Tyerman.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/margot-robbie-signs-first-look-928813

:yess:

Loved her HQ and can't wait to see more! Birds of Prey movie perhaps?

Re: Harley Quinn Spinoff officially a GO by WB- Margot Robbie Co-Producing

So what should we talk about in this thread? I'm thinking Man of Steel. karamazov80, was that film to your liking?

gross_no_thank_you_supernatural.gif

Harley can't carry a movie all by herself, unless you turn her into this... thing she's currently over at the books. The only way she can sorta headline a movie is by doing a Gotham Sirens movie, as Birds of Prey is a different thing alltogether. But still, I don't see the appeal of this. There are tons of characters out there who deserve solos, and who have the character and material to support one, but Harley is the one who gets to do so first? You're telling me Deathstroke is just gonna be the villain in Batfleck, but HQ gets a solo? Man, get out of here with this ********. Lobo, Doctor Fate, Swamp-Thing, JonCon, Spectre, 4th World, Green Arrow, Nightwing, Midnighter/Authority, Doom Patrol, all of these are nowhere to be seen, but Harley ****ing Quinn is getting a solo? Stuff like this, Cyborg, Ant-Man 2 and the like are what're going to eventually make the CBM genre implode...

Harley can't carry a movie all by herself, unless you turn her into this... thing she's currently over at the books.

4925.gif

she can't carry a movie unless she's a thought out character with a strong catalog of literature behind her? yeah, that's uh... quite obvious.

:dunno

Agreed. Her charm does stem from working in a vacuum. She needs to be the hot and crazy girl in an ensemble.
sounds like an assemble movie, if you read the article it says that other DC female characters are part of the story.

Good news for HQ fans.

I don't know. I consider myself a HQ fan after Suicide Squad and love me some Margot but I don't know that I agree with this decision. I'd rather see her in future Batman films. Back in the day I loved Pfeiffer but was glad when she didn't get that rumored solo flick.

"....According to The Hollywood Reporter, Robbie has signed a ‘first-look’ deal with Warner Bros., allowing them the rights to develop and produce films through her LuckyChap Entertainment banner....."

Good, hope that means if Snyder is anywhere near it, she can tell him to sod off since she may have first right of refusal!

I personally think the Joker/HQ spinoff movie would be the way to go vs. a solo HQ movie....

I don't know. I consider myself a HQ fan after Suicide Squad and love me some Margot but I don't know that I agree with this decision. I'd rather see her in future Batman films. Back in the day I loved Pfeiffer but was glad when she didn't get that rumored solo flick.

HQ has some great moments throughout 52. I say don't worry until we get more info on who the characters are. At this point it very well could be a "mad love" story or something closer to a Suicide Squad sequel. Maybe the squad is tasked with bringing her back to Belle Reeve?

gross_no_thank_you_supernatural.gif

Harley can't carry a movie all by herself, unless you turn her into this... thing she's currently over at the books. The only way she can sorta headline a movie is by doing a Gotham Sirens movie, as Birds of Prey is a different thing alltogether. But still, I don't see the appeal of this. There are tons of characters out there who deserve solos, and who have the character and material to support one, but Harley is the one who gets to do so first? You're telling me Deathstroke is just gonna be the villain in Batfleck, but HQ gets a solo? Man, get out of here with this ********. Lobo, Doctor Fate, Swamp-Thing, JonCon, Spectre, 4th World, Green Arrow, Nightwing, Midnighter/Authority, Doom Patrol, all of these are nowhere to be seen, but Harley ****ing Quinn is getting a solo? Stuff like this, Cyborg, Ant-Man 2 and the like are what're going to eventually make the CBM genre implode...
Amen, brother!

Agreed. Her charm does stem from working in a vacuum. She needs to be the hot and crazy girl in an ensemble.

Exactly. She's not fleshed out enough to really be able to carry her own movie, because, let's face it, she's not that complex a character. She fell in love with the Joker, and then, because DC wanted their own Deadpool but had already butchered Lobo, she ditched him and became a strong, female character. Apart from that, there's nothing unique, memorable or that entertaining about her, at least not enough to fill 2 hours worth of film. She's more layered than your average comic book character, but there are literally hundreds of characters more deserving of a film.

It's just that her current book is rather mediocre, relying on whacky antics to drive the "plot" forward. She talks to an animatronic/zombie beaver/toy who somehow talks, she eats like a pig, she does roller blades, she hangs around with circus freaks, she teams up with DC's Big Guns, all that jazz. They took an honest-to-God super-villain and are trying to make her into a hero, and it's just... pathetic. Had they stuck with the original characterization, it might have turned out to be okay. But DC's so desperate for their own DP, that they basically took Way's DP volume and inserted Harley into it. And yeah, in my book, that's a "thing"...

4925.gif

she can't carry a movie unless she's a thought out character with a strong catalog of literature behind her? yeah, that's uh... quite obvious.

:dunno

tumblr_inline_mgpg9b5eQq1qzfe3g.gif

In all of her history, Harley has had only two ongoing solo volumes, one from New52, and the current Rebirth one. Both are written by two fairly unknown writters and have an average of 7.8 according to ComicBookRoundup, which takes all scores from every site and generates an average. There is not one memorable story in both of these solo volumes, and there's certainly not enough world-building in there for a 2 hour movie. They're just mini-stories with some continuity elements plus a crap-ton of guest stars. As I said, it's Way's Deadpool all over again.

She also had a starring rle in the ensemble book Gotham City Sirens, which centered around her, Catwoman and Poison Ivy, which was has an average of 6.6 according to CBRU. Again, that hasn't produced any memorable stories, but at least it had 3 protagonists and even if the arcs were fairly straightforward, it denefited from havinge distinct personalities to play with.

So, yeah, Harley doesn't have a strong catalog of stories. You, and lots of other folks might find her entertaining, sure. Props to that. But she's not protagonist material. I, personally, love Fantomex, but I'd be fooling myself if I said that he can carry a solo. Some characters are built for ensembles. At least until somebody comes alog and changes that with his/her unique and radical ideas. There characters from Marvel, DC, Valiant, Image, hell, even Public Domain ones that have more material to choose from.

People used to talk about the implosion of the CBM genre, and I used to laugh at them. But moves such as these reinforce their opinion. When each studio puts out 3 CBMs per year, there's no room for them to breathe, considering they aim for specific dates. That's bad enough, but when they plan movies based on characters who can't support them, then there's a problem. HQ should've been at the very bottom of their priorities list.

That's just my opinion, anyway. I'm not looking forward to a solo HQ movie, but I'm open to a Gotham Sirens one. But to say that she has a strong library is simply false. Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, Iron Man, Captain America, Green Latnern, etc, etc have strong libraries. Deadpool, Green Arrow, Deathstroke, Question, Moon Knight, etc, etc have some darn good stories prime for adaptations. Mister Miracle, the 4th World, Lobo, Booster Gold, etc, etc can work with the right pitch. Harley is just a bit better than other supporting characters. Even Cable has more volumes to his name.

Insane characters, especially those who are theatrically insane, really don't work as singular heroes. The only way I think it'd work is if they went full artsy with her crazy and made something really inaccessible to mainstream audiences. That could actually be awesome but there's no way in hell WB would do that. I assume they'll just tone her down even further and have her basically be a female Martin Riggs with no Murtaugh as counterbalance.

I don't think the problem is her mental state. It's just that she doesn't have a good supporting cast, villains, memorable stories, or even a mythology built around her. Plus, she's not that complex. She was crazy, she became evil, and now due to editorial reasons, she's a nutso "hero". Crazy characters can absolutely work, but they have to be already established characters in the comic mythos, with their own stories, characters, all that jazz.

I mean, look at Moon Knight. The dude rips people's faces off and wears them in front of the mirror, he talks to a an EgyptianBird Gof of Vengeance, he has three distinct personalities and is pretty much the poster boy for DiD in comics. But, he also has his own little corner of the Marvel U. He's got a couple of villains like Count Nefaria, Midnight, the Werewolf By Night and others, he has an established supporting cast with set roles, he has a certain mission, and most importantly, he's a well-rounded character. Same goes for Deadpool.

There are tons and tons of characters out there who are unconventional and not your first choice. But, because they have decades of stories dedicated to them, specifically, they have they can headline their own movie. Harley just isn't one of those characters. At least IMO...

Back