Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn?)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole BoP thing was Robbie's vanity project. It would've turned out the same way had it been made in the [current year].

Those are the Gotham City Sirens. The BoP are these:

137273-birds-of-prey-dc-comics-birds-of-prey-superhero-d-c-girl-women-gh.jpg

But these days, they look like this:

HQ_BOP-578x675.jpg

You'll notice that these days, Latinas are BLACK. Asians? They're BLACK too. And Italians? They of course are goddamn BLACK! What, you think they're ****ing Euros or some ****?! Hell, I'm getting BLACKER this very second! Everyone's ****ing BLACK!

:lol

Yeah, I seem to recall in comics the BOP ten years ago seemed like they pretty much mostly white. My guess is that a lot of studios are afraid to show majority white faces, and even if they are white, there's a heavy street look or mixed-race vibe to cover themselves. Studios may control billions but they are running scared most of the time.

Social media drives it - all it takes is a few thousand people globally (out of the tens of millions of targeted audience) to come up with some hashtag about not embracing diversity in some way and a project can lose tens of millions (hell, even mundane stuff like Democratic Caucuses/primaries are suddenly super-racist.)

:lol

Yeah, I seem to recall in comics the BOP ten years ago seemed like they pretty much mostly white. My guess is that a lot of studios are afraid to show majority white faces, and even if they are white, there's a heavy street look or mixed-race vibe to cover themselves. Studios may control billions but they are running scared most of the time.
Studios are out of touch with reality. But mostly they're just trying to reach new demographics. So they think that if they blackwash some character, they're not losing "those goddamn four-eyed nerds", they're just adding blacks to the nerds that'll "surely watch it". But it's not the people like me, one of the 30K people in the world who still buy Iron Man and Doctor Doom every month, that goes to watch those flicks. It's the normies that go out on a Saturday night before going for drinks, the kids, and the soyboys. Those films just aren't for people like us anymore. And the GA will move on... at some point.

Social media drives it - all it takes is a few thousand people globally (out of the tens of millions of targeted audience) to come up with some hashtag about not embracing diversity in some way and a project can lose tens of millions (hell, even mundane stuff like Democratic Caucuses/primaries are suddenly super-racist.)
Social Media is the biggest cancer in the world. Case in point, Wes Anderson's new movie was announced, and people are already complaining.
MrtUkVX.jpg

Yeah I know, it's a literal who, but literal whos get their voices heard and even get people behind them. Hell, the tweet itself is rather ironic, since Anderson always has an interacial couple of the usual Brown/Black Male x White Female in his films. The guy works with the same 10 people over and over again, but nah, **** his artistic vision and ****, we got get SLJ shouting "mother****er" in this!

I think maybe you are reading a little too much into that post. All the guy said was, it would be cool to see people he relates to in a Wes Anderson style movie. There was nothing angry or SJW about his post. To me it just sounds like what a lot of us do when we are having conversations on what so an so movie would be like if *insert name here* was in it.

this just means the super heroes movie bubble genre bursted, Black widow get ready!!! bwhahaha yer next!!!

not even excited to see that one honestly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is anyone? It looks boring

Wasn't that much at first, after finding out Seb Stan wasn't showing up e.g., was expecting a "true" prequel with her getting trained/shot later (waz really looking forward to that) and Hawkeye changing his mind about taking her out.

Since that's not happening, not sure why I need to know what she was doing after Civil War - figured she was tracking Cap and that's about it. But this BW movie just looks like espionage FUN. So, yeah. BW is a fav of mine.

For me, not boring. Maybe not needed, exactly. But worth showing up in theater for.

As for Harley, sure, all up for it as soon as it's up for home view.:drink

I think maybe you are reading a little too much into that post. All the guy said was, it would be cool to see people he relates to in a Wes Anderson style movie. There was nothing angry or SJW about his post. To me it just sounds like what a lot of us do when we are having conversations on what so an so movie would be like if *insert name here* was in it.

Anderson works with the same 10 people over and over again; nobody should be surprised by it at this point, or really expect anything to change. They're artsy, quirky stuff that appeal to a select demographic. Peele can come out and say "I'll only do majority black films" (link:https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/jordan-peele-says-i-dont-see-myself-casting-a-white-dude-as-lead-us-1197021), but the reverse would be suicide. Hell, this year we had the whole #OscarsSoWhite thing once again. Well, not exactly. The theme was "White Male Rage".

snl-white-male-rage.jpg

You're right in the sense that all that guy was saying was "it'd be cool if X did Y with Z". But others don't see it that way and spew whatever comes to their minds. That'd be fine and dandy, but now they gain traction and can have an impact on things. Social Media has given every other nobody with an axe to grind the chance to start talking about whatever they want, however they want. And the worst thing is that people take them seriously. I'm ragging on the guy. His idea is stupid (it's an Anderson movie, of course there's gonna be the same 10 white people in it), as I pointed out (SLJ doesn't fit at all with Anderson's style, neither would Idris Elba or Denzel or whoever; Jeffrey Wright who's in the movie does have that "style" though), at least IMO, but it's mostly about Twitter and Social Media in general. The poster and tweet had just come out a few mintues before I posted my comment, so it was a fresh example.

Well I enjoyed it.. Yet another film that I thought was better then Endgame :lol

Sersiously I thought it was fine. Much better than SS.

I thought the action was fun.. Someone compared it to buffy... I get it.. But some of it was top notch.

If you like her character and the way she was done in SS then I cant see not liking this film.

They're stupid for even making a Birds of prey movie to begin with, as if there's so much demand out there for it. :lol

If this was a Joker/Harley movie like originally intended then it wouldn't have been a flop.

I agree with this... I could care less about Birds of Prey... BUT I did enjoy them just fine in this.... I only know the characters from a few comics and have no investment in them.

Studios are out of touch with reality. But mostly they're just trying to reach new demographics. So they think that if they blackwash some character, they're not losing "those goddamn four-eyed nerds", they're just adding blacks to the nerds that'll "surely watch it". But it's not the people like me, one of the 30K people in the world who still buy Iron Man and Doctor Doom every month, that goes to watch those flicks. It's the normies that go out on a Saturday night before going for drinks, the kids, and the soyboys. Those films just aren't for people like us anymore. And the GA will move on... at some point.

Social Media is the biggest cancer in the world. Case in point, Wes Anderson's new movie was announced, and people are already complaining.
MrtUkVX.jpg

Yeah I know, it's a literal who, but literal whos get their voices heard and even get people behind them. Hell, the tweet itself is rather ironic, since Anderson always has an interacial couple of the usual Brown/Black Male x White Female in his films. The guy works with the same 10 people over and over again, but nah, **** his artistic vision and ****, we got get SLJ shouting "mother****er" in this!

It's just one of those "double standard" type ideas that really doesn't read well the other way around. So it's not really SJW or anything, just a bit weird.:dunno

PmVavlK.png

W-What are you trying to say, man? What were the Vampires an allegory for? What's he trying to say?!

It's just one of those "double standard" type ideas that really doesn't read well the other way around. So it's not really SJW or anything, just a bit weird.:dunno

PmVavlK.png

Yeah, fair point. I was talking about Social Media in general, but I suppose it didn't flow as well with the example I chose.

Anderson works with the same 10 people over and over again; nobody should be surprised by it at this point, or really expect anything to change. They're artsy, quirky stuff that appeal to a select demographic. Peele can come out and say "I'll only do majority black films" (link:https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/jordan-peele-says-i-dont-see-myself-casting-a-white-dude-as-lead-us-1197021), but the reverse would be suicide. Hell, this year we had the whole #OscarsSoWhite thing once again. Well, not exactly. The theme was "White Male Rage".

snl-white-male-rage.jpg

You're right in the sense that all that guy was saying was "it'd be cool if X did Y with Z". But others don't see it that way and spew whatever comes to their minds. That'd be fine and dandy, but now they gain traction and can have an impact on things. Social Media has given every other nobody with an axe to grind the chance to start talking about whatever they want, however they want. And the worst thing is that people take them seriously. I'm ragging on the guy. His idea is stupid (it's an Anderson movie, of course there's gonna be the same 10 white people in it), as I pointed out (SLJ doesn't fit at all with Anderson's style, neither would Idris Elba or Denzel or whoever; Jeffrey Wright who's in the movie does have that "style" though), at least IMO, but it's mostly about Twitter and Social Media in general. The poster and tweet had just come out a few mintues before I posted my comment, so it was a fresh example.

Fair enough, but I think we all play a part in it, even those that are complaining about the complaining of non-inclusiveness. Both sides making such a big deal about it means that it'll always be an issue now, it's like the arms race during the Cold War. Each side has to keep adding arsenal so that it doesn't look like the other side has some kind of advantage.

I'm surprised no one has called out Guillermo Del Toro for not hiring any Hispanics in all of his films, with the exception of Pan's Labyrinth. :lol

:chase

Hahaha, and also Cronos and Devil's Backbone

PmVavlK.png

I just think it's funny (including this post here, in the world of make believe a Peele movie with an all white cast is funny.) It's only the big menace to society that we allow it to be. These "agendas" I keep reading about online, in movies I watch, mean nothing to me. I watch what I want to watch regardless of cast. Some work some don't. When I don't like something I give it no time. It's pretty simple for me and then I can reserve my anger (or ire, if anger is too strong a word) for things that truly require it. :peace

That's just me though and none of this is any kind of judgement on anyone here, I just think that some of the things that get pointed out as examples to get angry about are reaching at best.

And btw, I enjoyed this movie. It was stupid and fun and the actors looked like they enjoyed themselves, as some of the performances are over the top - looking at you McGregor and Messina (haha, that sounds like a 70's soft rock act.) The movie has it's issues for sure but it's just fun and there is nothing wrong with that.

Back