Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question and I dont know if its been answered yet but

Spoiler Spoiler:

Might not be the place to ask, but how likely is it that Neca will issue repaints of Caesar and Koba without the war paint? I don't like that look and it was in arguably the weakest scene of the whole movie. I'd buy at the very least a Caesar.
Very likely, as long as the movie is moderately popular.

NECA's already in their 12th/13th wave of predator figures, and half of them are repaints. They've already released 3 or 4 different versions of Gipsy Danger from Pacific Rim, as well as some variants of the kaiju.

Hell, their Prometheus figures sold awfully low and they still made three variants of the engineer. Not including the two pilot suit versions.

NECA loves their variants.

I Saw it the other day and was surprised by how good it was. the Mo-cap work is amazing, and I'm ever more excited that Serkis is in Star Wars Episode 7.

There's actually a lot more to the animation than just the mo-cap. They can get a really good base to work off of from the motion capture, but after that the artists go back to the looking at the footage to see more details or add in things on their own. There's a lot of fine animation details that don't come through their motion capture system since it doesn't use all that many reference points.

Not understanding the praise DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is getting. It's a perfectly adequate, entertaining film, but I don't know if I'd be able to sit through it more than once.

The heart of the original film series was the social commentary; allegories for the civil rights movements and the dangers of the atomic warfare. The last two films have very little of that except "guns are bad". Maybe. I don't know.

And say what you will about the make up in the originals, these CGI chimps still look fake as hell. Now, I will admit, the orangoutang and gorillas looked tangible enough, but when your main character, Caesar, and his family look like Pixar characters, there's a problem. Still, digital rendering is hard work, and I don't want to knock the FX artists. I just don't understand why there wasn't consistency.

Bottom line: DAWN isn't anything I haven't seen before. But, it isn't bad. I guess it's high praise comes from it being sold in the same market as all the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3s, and TRANSFORMERS 8s. But that says more about the status of blockbusters than anything.

My ranking of the series:

ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES
PLANET OF THE APES ('68)
CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES
BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES
PLANET OF THE APES ('01)

Well, Spiderman 2 was pretty mixed, and theres Transformers 4 which I haven’t seen yet.

We still have TMNT, and GOTG, hopefully those two movies won’t suck. Even if they do, this summer has been awesome.

Even if it was mixed, it was still better than the first ASM (albeit very mediocre), and, as for Transformers, what's that?

Not understanding the praise DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is getting. It's a perfectly adequate, entertaining film, but I don't know if I'd be able to sit through it more than once.

Bottom line: DAWN isn't anything I haven't seen before. But, it isn't bad. I guess it's high praise comes from it being sold in the same market as all the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3s, and TRANSFORMERS 8s. But that says more about the status of blockbusters than anything.

It's in the same market as How to Train Your Dragon 2, X-Men Days of Future Past and The Winter Soldier. It's not like it's the only high rated blockbuster this year so it's high praise isn't inflated due to the bar being lowered.

It's in the same market as How to Train Your Dragon 2, X-Men Days of Future Past and The Winter Soldier. It's not like it's the only high rated blockbuster this year so it's high praise isn't inflated due to the bar being lowered.

I love DOFP and CAP 2, but I'd be hard pressed to argue those are un-derivative, breaths of fresh air themselves. They just happened to click better with me.

The heart of the original film series was the social commentary; allegories for the civil rights movements and the dangers of the atomic warfare. The last two films have very little of that except "guns are bad". Maybe. I don't know.

And say what you will about the make up in the originals, these CGI chimps still look fake as hell. Now, I will admit, the orangoutang and gorillas looked tangible enough, but when your main character, Caesar, and his family look like Pixar characters, there's a problem. Still, digital rendering is hard work, and I don't want to knock the FX artists. I just don't understand why there wasn't consistency.

My ranking of the series:

ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES
PLANET OF THE APES ('68)
CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES
BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES
PLANET OF THE APES ('01)

I kind of agree with this to a certain extent, the movie was solid, but I don’t think it was special at all. It was a little bit better than Rise, but I only found Rise to be okay. Most of the humans were generic, and even some of the apes, Koba came off as a one dimensional villain, only difference is he’s an ape. A lot of the conflict felt really forced to me also.

I thought the apes looked great though.

I would give it a 7.5/10.

Even if it was mixed, it was still better than the first ASM (albeit very mediocre), and, as for Transformers, what's that?

I liked ASM2, I was just basing it on the general consensus which seem to be disappointed.

Well, X-Men Days of Future Past, Captain America The Winter Soldier, 22 Jump Street, Dawn of the Planet of The Apes, and we still have TMNT and Guardians of the Galaxy to look forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird UK release. Odeon are only showing it in 2d on opening day then 1 showing per day after that in 3D only...

Well, X-Men Days of Future Past, Captain America The Winter Soldier, 22 Jump Street, Dawn of the Planet of The Apes, and we still have TMNT and Guardians of the Galaxy to look forward to.

Those are great and all but not close to considered it the "best movie summer in years"

Those are great and all but not close to considered it the "best movie summer in years"

Batfan said it, now me haha

I think I'm just grateful because last year was absolutely horrible, one of the most disappointing summer of movies I can remember.

Ah!!! I knew I was forgetting a movie, Edge Of Tomorrow was awesome.

I have faith in TMNT, I think it can turn out to be a quality turtle film.

Back