Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw the movie today and as a Ape fan. It just ruled. No words than just pleased how this reboot series is doing. Awesome movie and is the highlight of the summer.

Thanks for the info mate, I will try to get the five original movies. I'm very curious bout this Franchise now.

There are five old ones. Rise is sort of a remake of the fourth one (Conquest of the Planet of the Apes) and Dawn is sort of a remake of the fifth one (Battle for the Planet of the Apes). Not a literal remake, reboot is the right word, but thre are undeniable similarities and parallels. Rise is also chock full of Easter Eggs best enjoyed when being an avid fan of the original. Caesar is the only character so far that appeared in both series but he didn't show up until the third film in the original series (Escape from the Planet of the Apes). The original 1968 is a masterpiece. It's even better when you don't know the ending! I'd suggest seeing at least that one if not all five of the originals eventually but these new ones don't rely on what came before.

I will get all 5 movies. Hopefully there is an available box set.

One of the best sci Fi films. An unbelievable film for its day. I saw in when I was young and folks in the theater at the end were just saying wow. To some extent it was frightening for some back then just even think of that type of future. A great film and great 5 film story. You just can't watch the first one. The second film too was a wake up call. He'll all were great IMHO

Okai, I watched the onion review and I didn't understand it, I loved Rosenthal's review of the Hunger games but I don't understand the review for this one, I feel dumb.

I know it's a satire of the current state of the industry of pumping reboots and sequels of existing IPs instead of original ones, I laughed at that and I agree with him but, was the review good? Is there an actual review or was it the same as the HG one?

I'm almost sure he's saying this is a good movie :lol

Last edited:
Saw the film today. Easily the best film I've seen this year. Seriously. Its so well done. I love that there is no clear good or bad side in this. You can sympathize with both the apes and the humans. And the CGI work on the apes is absolutely amazing. I have no idea if any real apes were used in the film or not, but I felt like the main apes were actual apes and not people pretending to be apes. Truly remarkable performances. I really hope they figure out a way to get Andy Serkis nominated for an Oscar. By far one of the most under-rated actors of our time due to most of his characters ending up as CGI creatures. I was just blown away.

Go out and see this ASAP! Its certainly worth your time and money!

Saw Dawn last night. Easily just as good as RotPotA. Maybe on second viewing I can nitpick more, but I sat there and loved every second of it. This might be the only rebooted series to match how awesome the original was. Highly recommended.

Does this require seeing the first?

They inform you enough that it should make sense if you don't, but this film definitely builds upon the foundation of the first. The first is also an excellent film, so definitely check it out. Its available again at Redbox for a cheap rental.

I never cared much for the original series, so I didn't expect a lot out the first and I was blown away. And I figured here they had a great first movie, but would probably blow it in typical Hollywood sequel style. But I was surprised again too. There is a lot of thought put into this and its a much more believable apocalypse scenario in the way they presented it.

Saw the film this afternoon. Superb, the bear scene gave me chills. I need to find a place to buy that horseback poster for my den...

Does this require seeing the first?

Highly recommended in order to fully appreciate the dynamics of Caesar's relationship with his tribe.

Saw it again last night.

It's going to sound cliche' by now but...this really does have a place up there with the best sequels....ESB, GFII, Aliens, CA:WS to name a few.

When I first read that Rupert Wyatt was bailing out because of...in his view...a rushed production schedule and that Fox and the producers went with that "Cloverfield" guy, I thought uh-oh..another promising re-start for a beloved franchise dashed on the way to a quick buck. I wasn't that impressed with "Cloverfield" so my expectations on what the sequel to Wyatt's wondrous entry would end up being were pretty low.

I'm more than delighted to sit down and eat that hefty helping of crow here.

Reeves was not only up to the bar, he raised it significantly. I'd read he professed to being a life-long "Planet of the Apes" fan...and it shows. It shows in the story, it shows in the style of music (Giacchino proves to be a MOST inspired choice here...seems like he did his "homework" here with some aural stylings evoking Goldsmith to establishing his own distinctive sound and texture) and in the subtle shout-outs to many various settings and shots from not just the original series but to the preceding chapter in this new series. He makes some awesome choices as a film maker that give this movie a fresh, startling look. He world-builds in a most effective way, drawing us into it by making it feel real. No "we went to Apocalypse Gap for our wardrobe" costume nonsense here....the humans look like they are garbed in whatever they've always worn, not some designer-riddled distractions. The apes are natural...what light adornment they adopt (the "midwifes" or the "warpaint" of the hunt) is simply intriguing, almost ritualistic.
The look and feel of the movie is simply gorgeous (yes, it may be odd to define a lush, jungle village or an overgrown, dilapidated metropolis as gorgeous but...it is). Michael Sernsin's cinematography adds a deep lush quality that helps wed the production design and the superior effects into something real.

Speaking of the effects...everyone is at the top of their game here, from the performance capture to the sound design to the stunning production. It will be interesting to see how the industry deals with acknowledging the impressive achievements here. When one views any "behind-the-scenes" stuff from this movie, it's impossible not to be impressed with the extra amount of imagination and effort that has to go in creating these images...this movie. It's WAY past the point of slapping on a costume and some make-up and standing in a set emoting. It's an incredible amount of work and talent.

But all of that would be meaningless without the characters and the story....both of which are excellent. While on the surface, the story may just seem like a set up for a climatic battle, it's much more than that. Yes, it does seem a little more weighted towards the apes here, but the human struggle is well-represented too. It's been observed by many reviewers that there are no real "villains" here....just characters that are swept up by their own experiences and points of view. Both Caesar and Malcolm struggle to create trust for the sake of their families while Dreyfus and Koba cannot get past their scars and experiences to see another way. This is all played against a slow, rising tension that Reeves expertly weaves without resorting to "Gotcha" moments.

Now...I'm gonna comment on some specific scenes that I don't want to ruin for our friends across the pond that are still waiting for this to open....

Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm really glad this movie turned out as well as it did. It's one of those films that will hold up to repeat viewings, not only to experience the story again, but to admire and enjoy the powerful images and scenes Reeves has created.

He's left the story at an intense crossroad. This fan is very excited to see where he takes it next....

Saw it again last night.

It's going to sound cliche' by now but...this really does have a place up there with the best sequels....ESB, GFII, Aliens, CA:WS to name a few.

When I first read that Rupert Wyatt was bailing out because of...in his view...a rushed production schedule and that Fox and the producers went with that "Cloverfield" guy, I thought uh-oh..another promising re-start for a beloved franchise dashed on the way to a quick buck. I wasn't that impressed with "Cloverfield" so my expectations on what the sequel to Wyatt's wondrous entry would end up being were pretty low.

I'm more than delighted to sit down and eat that hefty helping of crow here.

Reeves was not only up to the bar, he raised it significantly. I'd read he professed to being a life-long "Planet of the Apes" fan...and it shows. It shows in the story, it shows in the style of music (Giacchino proves to be a MOST inspired choice here...seems like he did his "homework" here with some aural stylings evoking Goldsmith to establishing his own distinctive sound and texture) and in the subtle shout-outs to many various settings and shots from not just the original series but to the preceding chapter in this new series. He makes some awesome choices as a film maker that give this movie a fresh, startling look. He world-builds in a most effective way, drawing us into it by making it feel real. No "we went to Apocalypse Gap for our wardrobe" costume nonsense here....the humans look like they are garbed in whatever they've always worn, not some designer-riddled distractions. The apes are natural...what light adornment they adopt (the "midwifes" or the "warpaint" of the hunt) is simply intriguing, almost ritualistic.
The look and feel of the movie is simply gorgeous (yes, it may be odd to define a lush, jungle village or an overgrown, dilapidated metropolis as gorgeous but...it is). Michael Sernsin's cinematography adds a deep lush quality that helps wed the production design and the superior effects into something real.

Speaking of the effects...everyone is at the top of their game here, from the performance capture to the sound design to the stunning production. It will be interesting to see how the industry deals with acknowledging the impressive achievements here. When one views any "behind-the-scenes" stuff from this movie, it's impossible not to be impressed with the extra amount of imagination and effort that has to go in creating these images...this movie. It's WAY past the point of slapping on a costume and some make-up and standing in a set emoting. It's an incredible amount of work and talent.

But all of that would be meaningless without the characters and the story....both of which are excellent. While on the surface, the story may just seem like a set up for a climatic battle, it's much more than that. Yes, it does seem a little more weighted towards the apes here, but the human struggle is well-represented too. It's been observed by many reviewers that there are no real "villains" here....just characters that are swept up by their own experiences and points of view. Both Caesar and Malcolm struggle to create trust for the sake of their families while Dreyfus and Koba cannot get past their scars and experiences to see another way. This is all played against a slow, rising tension that Reeves expertly weaves without resorting to "Gotcha" moments.

Now...I'm gonna comment on some specific scenes that I don't want to ruin for our friends across the pond that are still waiting for this to open....

Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm really glad this movie turned out as well as it did. It's one of those films that will hold up to repeat viewings, not only to experience the story again, but to admire and enjoy the powerful images and scenes Reeves has created.

He's left the story at an intense crossroad. This fan is very excited to see where he takes it next....
Nothing but the truth here. Great review. When I saw it yesterday I had no words to say just by how amazed I was by the film. They seriously put a lot of time and effort into it along with a bunch of love. It's a powerful movie and at times it was sad. It definitely was a emotional movie with powerful scenes and of course it had it's humor and action but what really made this movie shine is what the film makers and everyone involved did to make it a truly awesome film. It felt like a legit Ape film and when it was over. I was just such in awe and it brought back the memories of all the old films. I'm glad it did so well because it deserved it. The acting was great ad even the effects. The music was just like Goldsmith music from the classics and when I heard that I just was like "Hell yes!". I have nothing but great things to say about this film. Probably up there with one of the best sequels ever made. I loved Ruse a lot and this just got even more love from me. It was such a perfect Ape film. Not even joking. So many great moments. Bravo to everyone who worked on this film and that custom looks awesome but too pricey.

Nothing but the truth here. Great review. When I saw it yesterday I had no words to say just by how amazed I was by the film. They seriously put a lot of time and effort into it along with a bunch of love. It's a powerful movie and at times it was sad. It definitely was a emotional movie with powerful scenes and of course it had it's humor and action but what really made this movie shine is what the film makers and everyone involved did to make it a truly awesome film. It felt like a legit Ape film and when it was over. I was just such in awe and it brought back the memories of all the old films. I'm glad it did so well because it deserved it. The acting was great ad even the effects. The music was just like Goldsmith music from the classics and when I heard that I just was like "Hell yes!". I have nothing but great things to say about this film. Probably up there with one of the best sequels ever made. I loved Ruse a lot and this just got even more love from me. It was such a perfect Ape film. Not even joking. So many great moments. Bravo to everyone who worked on this film and that custom looks awesome but too pricey.

Where would you rank Dawn with the rest of the series?

Back